Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I being an idiot trying to hold onto my p85dL outside of warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thread is veering off topic as I decided to keep the car. It really hasn’t given me much problems. Three door handles replaced under warranty driver seat replaced because motor went out under warranty and instrument gauge cluster bubbling covered under warranty also
That sounds like the logical choice. My Ludicrous 2015 P85DL+ extended Tesla warranty expires in 6 months and I'm planning on keeping it until Tesla offers a new Model S Plaid with:
  • FSD working more reliably
  • Hardware 4.0
  • updated HV batteries
  • 400 mile range
Yes I know I'll have to be patient but I put my original $5,000 deposit down on my Model S almost 3 years before I took delivery on my 2015 P85D+ that had every option. We got a $12,000 discount since it was an "inventory car" with < 3,000 miles on the odometer. It came with a Gen 1 HPWC included... and got the $5,000 Ludicrous upgrade when it became available too.

I upgraded the MCU to 2.0 when that became available and replaced the original Turbine wheels & Continual tires with brand new Arachnid wheels and Michelin tires. Only repairs have been two door handles under warranty and one 12V battery out of pocket. Most reliable car I've ever owned.

6214ACE2-271E-4B76-B6AE-180C390EBC2B_1_201_a.jpeg

That sounds like the logical choice. My Ludicrous 2015 P85DL+ extended Tesla warranty expires in 6 months and I'm planning on keeping it until Tesla offers a new Model S Plaid with:
  • FSD working more reliably
  • Hardware 4.0
  • updated HV batteries
  • 400 mile range
Yes I know I'll have to be patient but I put my original $5,000 deposit down on my Model S almost 3 years before I took delivery on my 2015 P85D+ that had every option. We got a $12,000 discount since it was an "inventory car" with < 3,000 miles on the odometer. It came with a Gen 1 HPWC included... and got the $5,000 Ludicrous upgrade when it became available too.

I upgraded the MCU to 2.0 when that became available and replaced the original Turbine wheels & Continual tires with brand new Arachnid wheels and Michelin tires. Only repairs have been two door handles under warranty and one 12V battery out of pocket. Most reliable car I've ever owned.

View attachment 901146
Great to hear, and good luck!

The thread is veering off topic as I decided to keep the car. It really hasn’t given me much problems.
I made the same decision when my car went out of warranty 16 months ago.
Financially, the best car to own is the one you already have.

Yes, you could have to replace a DU and the HV pack for like 35k tommorow, but is that likely?
Yes to the first comment. No to the second comment. $19k for me to replace both out of warranty in my 2013 S85.

There are also less expensive battery repair options that would be suitable for you - I went for a more expensive option because I drive a lot more miles and want it to last at least 4 years/125k miles.

Reactions: BrokerDon