Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I being an idiot trying to hold onto my p85dL outside of warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spending a guaranteed ~$70k to avoid potentially spending some portion of that on repairs is rarely if ever a smart financial decision.

Particularly now that you can expect that new P3D to follow much more typical (and likely even accelerated) depreciation curves in the coming years.

I would not buy a new car right now unless absolutely necessary. I’m near 160,000 miles on my 2016 S and it’s been very reliable.
Great to hear about the reliability of your model S. I feel like we always hear about the squeaky wheel cars, which makes sense, but they’re not the majority!

One interesting nuance to the model 3 performance is that currently it’s 7500 off so around 55k. So maybe buying now has a buffer built into depreciation. Next year that car will be 63k as the $7500 fed won’t apply as it’s too expensive

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Great to hear about the reliability of your model S. I feel like we always hear about the squeaky wheel cars, which makes sense, but they’re not the majority!

One interesting nuance to the model 3 performance is that currently it’s 7500 off so around 55k. So maybe buying now has a buffer built into depreciation. Next year that car will be 63k as the $7500 fed won’t apply as it’s too expensive
Remember that barely 18 months ago the M3P was a ~$55k car.

As someone who has watched Tesla generate FOMO over and over again, quarter after quarter for 6 years now, I think the odds of the M3P returning to an effective ~$63k base price for any length of time are close to nil. It’s simply too expensive for current market conditions.

Reactions: tubaprde
I was in your position with the same car and I just bought a 2019 MSP, but I have no payments and I already own a house. It's true that buying a newer car is rarely a smart move financially, but there are other benefits to the newer car. Having to use the newer AP software is not one of them, however. It's trash.

When I was saving for a house 15 years ago, I tightened my belt as much as I could, then I punched a few extra holes in it so I could tighten it further. That meant owning an older, inexpensive, reliable car, infrequently going out to eat/party, having only a few toys, etc.

I frankly miss my old car, sunroof, light interior, leather...

Having to use the newer AP software is not one of them, however. It's trash.
I have the same car, same age, but non-Ludi. My battery was perfect also, but did go recently. But this car is definitely worth keeping if you can find some wiggle room in planning a $20k emergency expense. That might be more difficult if you are already making payments on it.

Having said that, I drove a 2019 Model 3 for 6 weeks and I was very disappointed with it. I don't know if I could own one long term if I didn't own the model S. I would probably demo a different EV. As aerodyne pointed out no leather, which might sound minor, until you actually have to sit in those fake leather units that don't breathe. I would rather have cloth. It wasn't even summer and I couldn't stand it. And they were too small and non-supportive; I am not large at 5'10" 200 lbs and I felt like I was sitting on the bolsters, and every swift corner I had to hold on to the steering wheel harder and push my leg into the door harder to keep myself in the driving position. I don't know if the newer models or the Performance model have the same seats so they might be better now? No idea if the same seats are in the model Y, but if they are that car would also be a non-starter for me also.

And as beatle suggested the AP (FSD enabled vehicle, but not on beta anything) was practically unusable. The first time I used it on the same roads I have been using my AP1 on and it hit the brakes HARD at a green light on the highway at 90 km/h and our coffee spilled everywhere before I could get my foot on the accelerator was the last time I used in on any road that had traffic lights! I have read about phantom braking, but didn't understand what they were talking about, now I know. And I tried the FSD navigate on highways a few times. Meh. I can't believe people pay extra money for this.

Third, I know the computer was faster, I know it has games etc. that in 6 weeks I never used, but I didn't like the horizontal screen, or the way it was programmed. Sure there was a learning curve, and the first time it started to rain and I didn't know how to turn the wipers on was rather interesting and could have been scary. The voice control is fast, but it didn't work. Give me the control on the stalk please. 6 weeks should have been long enough for me to get used to the "more modern" tech, but I didn't like it. I like the cluster in front of me. I like to see my energy usage on the fly, and the time on the current drive. I don't want to press the touchscreen to find this information. And don't get me started about how it beeps at me LOUDLY through the speaker right next to my head everytime I drive over the road lines. I am purposely driving on the lines because that is the best line through the corner, or I am avoiding a pothole for F%$# sakes. Never did find how to turn this off or turn it down. And I haven't even upgraded to MCU2 yet.

And to go from air suspension, not to mention plus air suspension, to those bouncy shocks? I can't believe I have read people say the model 3 handles better than the model S- no way.

The only parts I liked about the model 3 over the model S was the efficiency and the ability for it to come to a full stop at intersections without needing the brake. I'll be keeping mine thanks.

Sorry, this was longer than I anticipated! Food for thought. :) But if you decide to keep it if it were me, I would take it to QC charge to get the LDU inspected. Especially since you are relatively nearby.

Last edited:
We have a 3 and an S. The 3 is more nimble. Whether that makes you think it handles better or not is a bit subjective. I suspect the 3 can beat an S in quite a few tight turn races. Whether that equates to staying more planted on a turn with bumps is a different story.
I like driving our 3 better in short trips. I like the S better on the highway.

Reactions: brkaus and aerodyne
Buy a house nuff. Seriously it’s reliable why worry about a catastrophe that may or may not happen. What we know is rents rise over time and better to secure a roof over one's head vs a rolling depreciating asset. If I were in your situation in the small chance there’s problems get it fix. If it can’t get it fix buy a temporary beater; used cars are starting to lower in price finally. In a year it’ll be a way better picture for used car prices. Then buy a nicer car once the house is purchased and finances stabilize.

Near my home there’s 1.5 to million dollar range houses in Los Angeles. Guess what most of them have sensible middle class cars that are mid range to low range. All in good shape physically body paint and body wise. Meanwhile drive in any apartment in LA and you’ll see bmw and Mercedes nearly brand new as well as f250 trucks.

Last edited:
I agree with the others. Keep the car. Get a warranty on the battery from 057 while it is still good. That’s my plan. I’ll pick up a cheap plaid in a couple years when used car prices implode some more.

Also, best I have seen on my 85D is 124kw at a supercharger at 6% state of charge. Never seen anything higher and I have a good battery…I think lol
Yeah I’ve looked into a 057 warranty but I’d have to ship my cat from California, so not sure if it’s worth the hassle

Keep it. If it's been solid this far, should be good to go. Bugs worked out while under warranty. Remanufactured battery would be about $10-12k from tesla, less from WK057, if not repairable. Same goes for drive units. Both my current ones are 2016's. A AP1 Model S 90D, and a FSD Model X 75D. I'm going to drive them til the wheels fall off. Worked it out, as long as repairs stay at or below about 5k/year, yearly, I'm ahead of the game. And if repairs stay under that, its like banking the future $ for repair costs. Only think thats a maybe is the batteries failing. In that case, I'll have 057 install 100 packs, + both cars still have 1 1/2 years of warranty left on drive units and batteries, but my mileage is A LOT freaking higher than yours already.

I'll also add. My sister has a Model Y. I've taken her car for an extended period. I've also had a good number of Model 3's as loaners.
Opinion: If I had gotten a model 3 back in 2013, I'd likely have been happy with it. But after owning multiple Model S's, and a Model X, even after driving a 3 and y at length, it feels like too much sacrifice. If I HAD to, sure, but given the choice, even in cost savings if trying to decide between purchasing either RIGHT NOW, I'd have to go with a S/X. Just felt to much lacking, too much removed, and too stripped down.
The only things I'd wish I had on the S & X is the Heat Pump. Thats all. Got MCU2 on each my cars, feels like brand new cars all over again. MCU3 retrofit will be coming supposedly before the end of 2023. Doubtful I'll upgrade right away, but eventually.

I'm very doubtful an MCUZ retrofit will be offered (there is no MCU3). On the new S/X with MCUZ, the electrical design is totally different, with the processor water-cooled like the 3/Y, an electronic fuse system, a totally different wiring harness, and entirely new left/right controllers. While suppose anything is possible, I'd guess it would cost upwards of $20-30K to convert an MCU2 car to MCUZ. It doesn't seem practical. It would be easier to convert a Model S to be gas-powered with a V8 engine (yes, someone has done that!).

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
All Li batteries age with time, and I'd use ~10 years as the expected battery lifespan. Also owning a house/property is much more important than any type of car. There is simply no way I'd be spending this much on a vehicle if you don't own property or a home. Since the car is already at or close to that 10 year mark, you still owe quite a bit, and you have a good amount of equity, I would sell it. I would buy or lease a much cheaper vehicle to get you through the next few years until you have your home.

Reactions: wornout
I'm very doubtful an MCUZ retrofit will be offered (there is no MCU3). On the new S/X with MCUZ, the electrical design is totally different, with the processor water-cooled like the 3/Y, an electronic fuse system, a totally different wiring harness, and entirely new left/right controllers. While suppose anything is possible, I'd guess it would cost upwards of $20-30K to convert an MCU2 car to MCUZ. It doesn't seem practical. It would be easier to convert a Model S to be gas-powered with a V8 engine (yes, someone has done that!).
I do believe Elon mentioned it at one point not too long ago. Besides, they will need something once the MCU2's (and 1's) start failing. The Intel atom hardware they are using is discontinued. There are a LOT of MCU1/2 vehicles out now. Yes, different wiring, but again, they will need something. One of the reasons they finally offered the retrofits to MCU2, no more MCU1 parts or replacements left/dwindling supplies. The Intel Atom they were using is discontinued as well a while ago.

Last edited:
Opinion: If I had gotten a model 3 back in 2013, I'd likely have been happy with it. But after owning multiple Model S's, and a Model X, even after driving a 3 and y at length, it feels like too much sacrifice.
Exactly my opinion. In 2015, I really wanted to support Tesla, somehow, so after a lot of numbers crunching, and even more lobbying with my wife, I went ahead we bought one.
The S was really in another league from what I used to drive ( Audi A4, Saab 93). I long thought the 3 would be better for us, but once you are used to the S, the 3 and Y are really not comparable. Great cars, but different categories.

My warranty expired on 21 Dec 2022 and I'm never selling it. it has 162,500 miles and i supercharge an average of 15 times a month with speeds topping out at 120kW with around 10% or so (I'd have to look at my spreadsheet to verify but that feels right). I have the money to pay for a new DU if one of them takes a crap tomorrow, and I've got a stash quite literally saved just for buying a new battery. Whenever it fails i will do the 100 upgrade with 057. I dont think you should sell and since you have the L model why the hell would you sell anyway

Keep in mind our upgrade pricing is for vehicles with working core batteries. Pricing is higher if the core is not functional or has errors.
Yes sir :) Hope 100kW batteries come down in price a bit by the time I upgrade though. So far, even though the 90 battery is a pile, range is 248 now, but its holding. Supercharging speed is slower but maintains. My 75D MX though, while fully functional, supercharging speeds are painful. I will likely upgrade that one regardless. Its just useless as a long distance vehicle now.

To be honest though, I'm really hoping for your custom pack, maybe with higher capacity than the 100? :cool:

Reactions: tubaprde
We have a 3 and an S. The 3 is more nimble. Whether that makes you think it handles better or not is a bit subjective. I suspect the 3 can beat an S in quite a few tight turn races. Whether that equates to staying more planted on a turn with bumps is a different story.
I like driving our 3 better in short trips. I like the S better on the highway.
My P85D+(software locked p90D) will and has taken a 22m3p on a track. I walked away from it. Then I got into the 3 and my hubby got into the S. Again walked away.
I also have a 3 and an S (MY 3 is rwd) and while I’m like you around town I prefer my 3 and long trips the S the S still feels so much more planted at 130mph than the 3 does.

Reactions: aerodyne