Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I being messed about by Tesla or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I have a 2014 Tesla Model S P85+. Like so many others I had a battery warning, inability to charge and range drop and as such my battery is being replaced under warranty. The part number for the replacement is ASSY, HV, BATTERY, 85Kwh, 1.0 Pack, Remanufactured, MDLS (1088815-D). I can't find this specific battery in the parts catalog - but is this what you would expect to be given in the event of a battery replacement under warranty? Has anyone any experience with this please? Thanks

Its a fairly simple question relating to the battery I am getting replaced. I have had a few issues with Tesla thus far - albeit I am generally happy with the car but not entirely happy with the way issues have been dealt with under warranty. So yes - I have had trouble with them before. I also have experience as an owner of Mercedes, BMW, Land Rover etc and its often a recurring theme that they are rarely altruistic and will give you the minimum they are obliged to. I have seen different batteries being given out for this car and I am not entirely sure of the differences - thus my question. I'm not sure it warrants a WOW - as if I am totally unreasonable and paranoid. I have for example seen some people with a battery replacement ending in A rather D and I think that is just simply an older battery that doesnt charge as fast. Thus asking for experts opinions. I hope that is ok with you Rocky.

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
Its a fairly simple question relating to the battery I am getting replaced. I have had a few issues with Tesla thus far - albeit I am generally happy with the car but not entirely happy with the way issues have been dealt with under warranty. So yes - I have had trouble with them before. I also have experience as an owner of Mercedes, BMW, Land Rover etc and its often a recurring theme that they are rarely altruistic and will give you the minimum they are obliged to. I have seen different batteries being given out for this car and I am not entirely sure of the differences - thus my question. I'm not sure it warrants a WOW - as if I am totally unreasonable and paranoid. I have for example seen some people with a battery replacement ending in A rather D and I think that is just simply an older battery that doesnt charge as fast. Thus asking for experts opinions. I hope that is ok with you Rocky.
As I mentioned, all they owe you is a battery with a range at least equivalent to your original battery before it started to fail.

You have no say or input as to WHICH battery you get. Frankly, you get whatever they happen to have around that meets the requirements of your car.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Upvote 0
Its a fairly simple question relating to the battery I am getting replaced.
Then you could ask it as a simple question instead of an accusation of wrongdoing. Something such as:
"This doesn't look like a familiar battery type. Is this normal for a warranty replacement?"
thus my question. I'm not sure it warrants a WOW - as if I am totally unreasonable and paranoid.
It did.

I hope that is ok with you Rocky.
You are welcome to say what you wish, but I am also allowed to respond to it appropriately.

Upvote 1
I dont mean to hijack this thread but.... I just had my 2015 85 pack replaced with a reman #1069777-01-A. I went round and round with the Service Manager on what Remanufacutered means. To me it means replace bad or failed modules. The service manage says no its all new cells in an old case. Some of that theory backs what WK067 says about you cant just fix a failed module and mix new in with older cells due to imbalance issues.

Tesla doesnt seem to adress this anywhere directly as well. It seems the delta between opening a pack and replacing all the modules and resealing isnt much less labor wise than just providing a new pack.

Ive seen a mix of reports where some get rebuilt and others get new 90 packs. Anyone have direct exp with reman packs and lifespan? Im just over a year left on drive train warranty.

Upvote 0
The service manage says no its all new cells in an old case.
I find this extremely unlikely for reasons you cite and others.

The cells are the overwhelming majority of the cost of the pack. Cracking open a pack and replacing the modules while leaving the rest of the potentially 8-10 year old electronics in place is labor intensive and foolish.

We can see plain as day that the great majority of people who received remanufactured packs had nowhere near the rated range one would expect with all new cells.

Lots of packs fail for reasons that have nothing to do with cells - I think these are the bulk of the ones that end up as "remanufactured".

Add it to the long list of tall tales people have been told by service staff over the years.

Reactions: Yurand
Upvote 0
We can see plain as day that the great majority of people who received remanufactured packs had nowhere near the rated range one would expect with all new cells.
Reman packs may also have more raw capacity than the one being replaced, and are software limited/capped to the old pack's range. I had 251 miles @ 100% SoC on my original pack before a voltage sensor/BMS failure. The reman replacement (1088815-01-E) has roughly 25% fewer cycles and is capped at 251 @ 100%. I assume capped because (a) I doubt they had one lying around that had exactly the same capacity, (b) SMT reads 4.17V@100%, and I have mild regen at 100%, which the old pack didn't have.

Lots of packs fail for reasons that have nothing to do with cells - I think these are the bulk of the ones that end up as "remanufactured".
Yep, my original one is probably in someone else's car now with a repaired BMS.

Upvote 0