Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I being petty about my repair? What would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Around two weeks ago I was parallel parked while enjoying dinner with friends. My phone showed me the dreaded "Sentry Alarm has been triggered" (first time I ever saw this on my phone). I ran out just in time to see a dark SUV driving away as my alarm was blaring and lights were flashing. I did a quick look and didn't see anything damaged on my car, but it was also dark (around 9 PM).

The next morning I reviewed the sentry footage to see that a guy in a black GMC Terrain made an illegal left turn, then tried to park in the spot behind me. It took him, like, 8-10 tries to get into the spot, shimmying back and forth to get in. Then he hit my back bumper. You can see my lights flashing and he immediately started unshimmying his way back out to leave. I got his license plate and all.

Now that I knew someone hit my rear bumper, I checked my car in the garage and sure enough, there was a scuff. I was able to clean it up to where you really couldn't even see it, but the finish was clearly gone from that spot (about 5-6 inches long, maybe an inch or two high. Looks like his license plate hit it. Only I know it's there unless I point it out to people).

But I was still pissed. My car was less than two months old and had zero paint issues. And this guy hit my car and took off, no note or anything (honestly, I think he was drunk seeing how lurchy he was trying to get into the space and how often he hit the curb and how many tries it took him). I brought the footage to the police, and they got the guy for hit and run. I also reported it to his insurance. After seeing the video they immediately accepted responsibility and told me to get a quote.

I took the car to my detailer to see if he could do paint correction but he said there's a dent so he wouldn't touch it. Yesterday I took it to a Tesla-approved shop and they confirmed the dent and the quote came out to *gasp* $4,500. Apparently they have to remove the back seats and all the trunk trim and brake lights to get to all the screws and fasteners to remove the bumper, etc.

So now I'm wresting with two dilemmas:
  1. $4.5k seems like a LOT of money. They other guy's insurance would be on the hook, but it seems like such a waste for something you can barely see. But at the same time, every time I wash the car I'd know it's there (and I wash it by hand a LOT) on a car that's only 2.5 months old. Part of me is doing it out of spite, since the guy took off with complete disregard for any damage they may have done. Do you think it's worth it?
  2. Since they have to dismantle so much of the car, I'm afraid it won't be the same after it's reassembled. I'm also paranoid that the paint won't match (Pearl White). From their website it appears they have fixed a lot of Teslas (among other high-end luxury cars, it's Westchester county, New York). Would you have the same reservations?
Thanks for your input!
Get the repair done, and get your car in exactly the same condition it was in before the guy hit it. No reason for you to accept anything less than a complete and total repair.

OP Update #2.

Got back fro Tesla and they can do the work for a little over $1,100. The part is $900.

Even though I'm not paying for it, $4.5k seemed really stupid high. And I also didn't like how the autobody shop made it seem like they have to remove the back seats and everythng. Seemed like they were going to tear the whole car apart.

So, THANK YOU SO MUCH to those who suggested going directly to a Tesla service center. They even have the painted part in stock, I have an appointment next week -- they said it would only take an HOUR.

Nice, glad it worked out and see Tesla has parts and time slot for you. Good outcome to your situation

Sure its an accident... where the person causing it RAN. that behavior should never / ever / ever be rewarded. The person who hit him and then ran should know that, this NEVER a solution. Personally, I am surprised that the person who hit him had insurance at all, since normally, people with insurance are not going to try to hit and run an accident.

I simply dont get anyone saying "cut the guy a break" in this situation, BECAUSE he ran. Many times, it not the action that is an issue, its the action after the action. Example: child does something wrong, then lies about it when you ask. Most parents would consider the lie the bigger issue, and make the lie a "teachable moment".

The accident is not really the issue. @#!@ happens. The issue is the person attempting to drive away. Sure you could call it "panic" or whatever other excuse someone wants to think up, but a responsible person does not run in such a situation. I said I was being a bit petty in my earlier post in this thread, but I would have zero consideration for cutting the person who ran any "break" whatsoever. They lost that when they ran.

The sooner you put it behind you
The quicker you can get on with your life

you will relive it every day until you do
I think you have suffered enough
Give yourself a break

Reactions: Phlier
Yeah had they stayed and faced the music, and been apologetic about it, I might consider cutting them a brake. But because they ran... stick it to them. I've had 3 pretty significant hit and runs happen to my cars while parked over the years. Every time I got stuck with the bill (or my insurance) because these people were too selfish to face the consequences of their accidents. I look forward to having a car with cameras like this so that if it does happen again then at least I'll have proof.

The sooner you put it behind you
The quicker you can get on with your life

you will relive it every day until you do
I think you have suffered enough
Give yourself a break

Lol I dont get this post at all.... I am not the OP, nothing happened to me. The only thing I have been arguing for in this thread is that the advice to have the OP contact the person who hit him and "try to work it out" was misguided. Moving on with getting the repair without "trying to work it out" with someone who already proved they are willing to break the law would be "moving on and moving forward".

Reactions: notrhj