Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I being petty about my repair? What would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think this works anymore... the insurance company issues their checks to the body shop now.

At least that was the case with my recent repair. Then I had to prove that the work was completed by driving to my insurance agents office for them to take pictures.

Depends on the state and depends on if it's a third party claim or not.

Usually first party claims (you claim through your own insurance) mandate you repair the car.

Third party claims in Texas, for instance, specifically maintain that you don't have to use the money for repairs. In fact, you can get money for lost of use and diminished value without even repairing the car (although, proving values may be difficult).

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and Dr. J
Are you able to get the guy's contact info?

If so, you could negotiate a private settlement from him.

1- he's already dinged on his record for the idiocy
2- it would hurt him "directly", and yet it the OOP might also he less than his premium increase, so he would accept it
3- you get cash in pocket, for a repair you truly didnt need, without the anxiety over disassembly

Did you read his post? He already went to the police and filed a hit and run, got the guys information, and opened an insurance claim on the offenders policy... He is past the private settlement stage...

Last edited:
Reactions: DopeGhoti

2- it would hurt him "directly", and yet it the OOP might also he less than his premium increase, so he would accept it
3- you get cash in pocket, for a repair you truly didnt need, without the anxiety over disassembly
So basically, extortion money.

• Disagree
Reactions: holmgang
Were you happy with the color match of the pre-painted bumper cover ? Just curious, as I've read some other threads in which some owners noticed some color variability with the white and red.
Ours is blue and the color match is perfect. If you are worried about the color match, you can always buy an unpainted bumper cover (about $330 from your service center) and have it painted at the body shop of your choice. There is nothing special about the bumper cover or the way it's attached to the car.

Careful since diminished value may NOT be worth it. If you plan on keeping the car 5 or more year no big deal but having an "accident" and "repair" on your CarFax will kill resale value.
A minor accident like that will have almost no effect on resale. Sure, there are some people out there that will try and use a carfax as a bargaining chip but most people just don't care.

Did you read his post? He already went to the police and filed a hit and run, got the guys information, and opened an insurance claim on the offenders policy... He is past the private settlement staged...
Did you? The police already dinged the guy's record - I acknowledged that. That's an infraction and separate from the financial liability. While the police can (and has) identified the guy, nothing says they shared the guy's personal information - addresses, numbers. (In fact, it's probably a violation in most jurisdictions here)

OP has the right to the claim, but is not compelled to exercise the claim, and is in fact wondering whether he should.

So basically, extortion money.
Except it's neither usurous/excessive (in fact, it's the opposite), illegal, nor coercive.

He is legally entitled to make the insurance claim. He doesn't even want to make the "wasteful" claim. He doesn't want his car dismantled. Likely, the other guy doesn't want his premiums raised long-term---but still has the rights to decline.

This is a win for all parties. It's pragmatic. So, basically, nothing like you alleged.

Reactions: super20g

No way the guy would agree to pay anything. There is already an At-Fault accident on his insurance, doing any sort of a private settlement would be beyond stupid. Trying to contact him directly at this point could be considered harassment.

Reactions: brkaus and MP3Mike
While the police can (and has) identified the guy, nothing says they shared the guy's personal information - addresses, numbers. (In fact, it's probably a violation in most jurisdictions here)

In every case I have seen the policy freely hand over the information from the hit-and-run driver so that you can pursue them/their insurance. And in this case he reported it to the guys insurance, and they already took responsibility. Where do you think he got the guys insurance contact information?

In every case I have seen the policy freely hand over the information from the hit-and-run driver so that you can pursue them/their insurance. And in this case he reported it to the guys insurance, and they already took responsibility. Where do you think he got the guys insurance contact information?

Identification is distinct from contact. To make a claim, you'd require their insurer's information, and identity (name, policy, vehicle, whatever). What their phone or email is, is unnecessary.

My last auto accident was caused by an old guy who was and remained passed out. I don't need the liability of fishing documents from his person or his vehicle. Police provided me with *identification* (noted in report), and his *insurance* info. Where the dude lives, I don't know, nor should I be entitled to that information.

Identification is distinct from contact. To make a claim, you'd require their insurer's information, and identity (name, policy, vehicle, whatever). What their phone or email is, is unnecessary.

My last auto accident was caused by an old guy who was and remained passed out. I don't need the liability of fishing documents from his person or his vehicle. Police provided me with *identification* (noted in report), and his *insurance* info. Where the dude lives, I don't know, nor should I be entitled to that information.

In my case in the last hit and run the police gave me the person's name, address, and phone number. (That information was necessary for me to file the required accident report.) I had to contact her to try to get her insurance information. (Which she didn't have.)

So maybe different states do it differently. (This was in Washington.)

Take the $4500 check from the insurance and don't get it fixed.
Every time you wash the car and see the spot think about that extra $4500 you have in the bank. :)

If its just the clear coat that is missing (not sure what you meant by the finish is clearly gone) you may want to find another body shop that will re-spray the bumper with clear coat, it should not cost that much at all.

I agree with your concerns about the rear half of the car being taken apart because they never seem to put everything back together the same way as when it was originally built in the factory.
Isn't that insurance fraud?

Can you get a quote from a different Tesla Approved body shop ? I don't know where you are located, but some cities have more than one...
There are a couple (OP says Westchester County, NY) but this was the closest at 45 minutes away and they seem super reputable. And I really don't feel like driving even further and taking even more time off from work to get quotes.

You also dont know if there is something "deeper" under there, and NOW is the time to find out in my opinion. Maybe its petty (ok I know its petty), but if I was in your situation, I would want the charge to be enough to deter the guy from every even considering doing something like that again.

He parked behind you, hit your car hard enough to dent it with his big @#@R vehicle, then tried to get away, not knowing the car was being taped. The more of these situations that happen (with consequences) the more people will "be careful around tesla's".
And honestly, by the looks of his car in the video, this wasn't his first time hitting another car...

Take the claim check and then go to your service center (not a body shop) and have the bumper cover replaced. The service centers stock factory painted front and rear bumper covers (the rear one is $900 painted) and they will install it for about two hours worth of labor. I did this on our Model 3 except that I swapped the bumper cover myself.
Thanks, I'm going to look into this.