TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Am I being petty about my repair? What would you do?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Rothgarr, Sep 12, 2019 at 5:28 AM.

1. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

Depends on the state and depends on if it's a third party claim or not.

Usually first party claims (you claim through your own insurance) mandate you repair the car.

Third party claims in Texas, for instance, specifically maintain that you don't have to use the money for repairs. In fact, you can get money for lost of use and diminished value without even repairing the car (although, proving values may be difficult).

• Informative x 2
  2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

#22 MP3Mike, Sep 12, 2019 at 7:43 AM
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    Did you read his post? He already went to the police and filed a hit and run, got the guys information, and opened an insurance claim on the offenders policy... He is past the private settlement stage...

• Like x 1
  3. Kevy Baby

Kevy Baby Member

So basically, extortion money.

• Disagree x 1
  4. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Ours is blue and the color match is perfect. If you are worried about the color match, you can always buy an unpainted bumper cover (about $330 from your service center) and have it painted at the body shop of your choice. There is nothing special about the bumper cover or the way it's attached to the car.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

A minor accident like that will have almost no effect on resale. Sure, there are some people out there that will try and use a carfax as a bargaining chip but most people just don't care.

6. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

7. holmgang

holmgang Member

Did you? The police already dinged the guy's record - I acknowledged that. That's an infraction and separate from the financial liability. While the police can (and has) identified the guy, nothing says they shared the guy's personal information - addresses, numbers. (In fact, it's probably a violation in most jurisdictions here)

OP has the right to the claim, but is not compelled to exercise the claim, and is in fact wondering whether he should.

Except it's neither usurous/excessive (in fact, it's the opposite), illegal, nor coercive.

He is legally entitled to make the insurance claim. He doesn't even want to make the "wasteful" claim. He doesn't want his car dismantled. Likely, the other guy doesn't want his premiums raised long-term---but still has the rights to decline.

This is a win for all parties. It's pragmatic. So, basically, nothing like you alleged.

• Like x 1
  8. trm2

trm2 Member

No way the guy would agree to pay anything. There is already an At-Fault accident on his insurance, doing any sort of a private settlement would be beyond stupid. Trying to contact him directly at this point could be considered harassment.

• Like x 2
  9. MP3Mike

In every case I have seen the policy freely hand over the information from the hit-and-run driver so that you can pursue them/their insurance. And in this case he reported it to the guys insurance, and they already took responsibility. Where do you think he got the guys insurance contact information?

10. Octo

Octo Member

If it’s that minor that only you can spot it, I’d let it go. I’ve seen too many “little fixes” morph into major repairs because the repair process itself is risky.

• Like x 2
  11. holmgang

holmgang Member

Identification is distinct from contact. To make a claim, you'd require their insurer's information, and identity (name, policy, vehicle, whatever). What their phone or email is, is unnecessary.

My last auto accident was caused by an old guy who was and remained passed out. I don't need the liability of fishing documents from his person or his vehicle. Police provided me with *identification* (noted in report), and his *insurance* info. Where the dude lives, I don't know, nor should I be entitled to that information.

12. Bill Foster

Bill Foster Member

Considering all the evidence you have, and the dude ran, and it’s a brand new car, I would get it fixed.

13. MP3Mike

In my case in the last hit and run the police gave me the person's name, address, and phone number. (That information was necessary for me to file the required accident report.) I had to contact her to try to get her insurance information. (Which she didn't have.)

So maybe different states do it differently. (This was in Washington.)

14. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

It doesn't even show up on camera. It just feels rough from the clear coat being gone and you can feel a small indentation.

15. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

Isn't that insurance fraud?

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

There are a couple (OP says Westchester County, NY) but this was the closest at 45 minutes away and they seem super reputable. And I really don't feel like driving even further and taking even more time off from work to get quotes.

17. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

And honestly, by the looks of his car in the video, this wasn't his first time hitting another car...

18. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

Yup, OP says I shared the video with the police and they got him with hit-and-run. That's also how I was able to get his insurance info.

19. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

Thanks, I'm going to look into this.

20. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

I thought of this as well. I kept my last car for 14 years. I plan on keeping this for at least 10.