Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I being petty about my repair? What would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So basically, extortion money.

Its not extortion money. As far as the repair goes that's a civil matter that can be solved between two individuals. I've had people hit me and settled for the cash in their pocket. Likewise I've been at fault and settled up with the owner paying for repairs outside of insurance. Crap happens all the time and sometimes its best for both parties to not involve insurance.

Either way it seems the cops have already been involved here and the insurance company knows about it so there is little reason to bother.

Reactions: holmgang
I don't think this works anymore... the insurance company issues their checks to the body shop now.

At least that was the case with my recent repair. Then I had to prove that the work was completed by driving to my insurance agents office for them to take pictures.
Nope. You are under no obligation to use their body shop or even fix it at all. The only purpose of the insurance company is to provide the money to make you claim whole

Are you able to get the guy's contact info?

If so, you could negotiate a private settlement from him.

1- he's already dinged on his record for the idiocy
2- it would hurt him "directly", and yet it the OOP might also he less than his premium increase, so he would accept it
3- you get cash in pocket, for a repair you truly didnt need, without the anxiety over disassembly

I would likely avoid a private settlement and avoid contacting the guy directly.

Just work directly with his insurance since they already accepted fault.

I took the car to my detailer to see if he could do paint correction but he said there's a dent so he wouldn't touch it. Yesterday I took it to a Tesla-approved shop and they confirmed the dent and the quote came out to *gasp* $4,500. Apparently they have to remove the back seats and all the trunk trim and brake lights to get to all the screws and fasteners to remove the bumper, etc.

So now I'm wresting with two dilemmas:
  1. $4.5k seems like a LOT of money. They other guy's insurance would be on the hook, but it seems like such a waste for something you can barely see. But at the same time, every time I wash the car I'd know it's there (and I wash it by hand a LOT) on a car that's only 2.5 months old. Part of me is doing it out of spite, since the guy took off with complete disregard for any damage they may have done. Do you think it's worth it?
  2. Since they have to dismantle so much of the car, I'm afraid it won't be the same after it's reassembled. I'm also paranoid that the paint won't match (Pearl White). From their website it appears they have fixed a lot of Teslas (among other high-end luxury cars, it's Westchester county, New York). Would you have the same reservations?
Thanks for your input!
My wife was in a minor rear-to-rear collision with another car backing out. Tesla Service replaced the bumper cover for about $1,100, took about an hour. Set up an appointment. We were actually paid more by insurance than Tesla charged.

Around two weeks ago I was parallel parked while enjoying dinner with friends. My phone showed me the dreaded "Sentry Alarm has been triggered" (first time I ever saw this on my phone). I ran out just in time to see a dark SUV driving away as my alarm was blaring and lights were flashing. I did a quick look and didn't see anything damaged on my car, but it was also dark (around 9 PM).

The next morning I reviewed the sentry footage to see that a guy in a black GMC Terrain made an illegal left turn, then tried to park in the spot behind me. It took him, like, 8-10 tries to get into the spot, shimmying back and forth to get in. Then he hit my back bumper. You can see my lights flashing and he immediately started unshimmying his way back out to leave. I got his license plate and all.

Now that I knew someone hit my rear bumper, I checked my car in the garage and sure enough, there was a scuff. I was able to clean it up to where you really couldn't even see it, but the finish was clearly gone from that spot (about 5-6 inches long, maybe an inch or two high. Looks like his license plate hit it. Only I know it's there unless I point it out to people).

But I was still pissed. My car was less than two months old and had zero paint issues. And this guy hit my car and took off, no note or anything (honestly, I think he was drunk seeing how lurchy he was trying to get into the space and how often he hit the curb and how many tries it took him). I brought the footage to the police, and they got the guy for hit and run. I also reported it to his insurance. After seeing the video they immediately accepted responsibility and told me to get a quote.

I took the car to my detailer to see if he could do paint correction but he said there's a dent so he wouldn't touch it. Yesterday I took it to a Tesla-approved shop and they confirmed the dent and the quote came out to *gasp* $4,500. Apparently they have to remove the back seats and all the trunk trim and brake lights to get to all the screws and fasteners to remove the bumper, etc.

1. $4.5k seems like a LOT of money. They other guy's insurance would be on the hook, but it seems like such a waste for something you can barely see. But at the same time, every time I wash the car I'd know it's there (and I wash it by hand a LOT) on a car that's only 2.5 months old. Part of me is doing it out of spite, since the guy took off with complete disregard for any damage they may have done. Do you think it's worth it?
  2. Since they have to dismantle so much of the car, I'm afraid it won't be the same after it's reassembled. I'm also paranoid that the paint won't match (Pearl White). From their website it appears they have fixed a lot of Teslas (among other high-end luxury cars, it's Westchester county, New York). Would you have the same reservations?
Thanks for your input!
Not really sure what the deal is with folks getting hung up on Tesla approved body shops, lol. Ask your local club for good body shops. It’s a dent and paint.

• Love
Reactions: brkaus
Nope. You are under no obligation to use their body shop or even fix it at all. The only purpose of the insurance company is to provide the money to make you claim whole
True for a third party claim. In a first party claim where there is a lienholder or additional interest, the insurance company has an obligation to them as well (e.g. getting the car fixed)

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
I'd take the check and use it to wipe the tears whenever I notice the issue that only I can see.

If it was a contrite person who apologized, etc, I'd probably let it go. But in this case? Person hit you, then ran away? Screw that guy.

But as for $4500, that seems excessive. If definitely get a 2nd opinion, and I would imagine the other insurer would dispute that amount or push for another estimate, too.

Are you able to get the guy's contact info?

If so, you could negotiate a private settlement from him.

1- he's already dinged on his record for the idiocy
2- it would hurt him "directly", and yet it the OOP might also he less than his premium increase, so he would accept it
3- you get cash in pocket, for a repair you truly didnt need, without the anxiety over disassembly

Since I have stated repeatedly I feel one should explain a disagree vote here on TMC, I use it very sparingly and always explain what I was thinking when I do. In this case, what you are saying MIGHT have been an option..... IF and ONLY IF the person had not attempted to drive away. That already proves (to me at least) what type of person they are. I would want to have ZERO (actually less than zero) business contact directly with such a person. I would NOT want to "cut them a deal". All those thoughts come with someone doing the "right thing". If they stopped and pulled over, left a note, etc.. THEN you might try to work with them.

In this case, no bleepin way.

Around two weeks ago I was parallel parked while enjoying dinner with friends. My phone showed me the dreaded "Sentry Alarm has been triggered" (first time I ever saw this on my phone). I ran out just in time to see a dark SUV driving away as my alarm was blaring and lights were flashing. I did a quick look and didn't see anything damaged on my car, but it was also dark (around 9 PM).

The next morning I reviewed the sentry footage to see that a guy in a black GMC Terrain made an illegal left turn, then tried to park in the spot behind me. It took him, like, 8-10 tries to get into the spot, shimmying back and forth to get in. Then he hit my back bumper. You can see my lights flashing and he immediately started unshimmying his way back out to leave. I got his license plate and all.

Now that I knew someone hit my rear bumper, I checked my car in the garage and sure enough, there was a scuff. I was able to clean it up to where you really couldn't even see it, but the finish was clearly gone from that spot (about 5-6 inches long, maybe an inch or two high. Looks like his license plate hit it. Only I know it's there unless I point it out to people).

But I was still pissed. My car was less than two months old and had zero paint issues. And this guy hit my car and took off, no note or anything (honestly, I think he was drunk seeing how lurchy he was trying to get into the space and how often he hit the curb and how many tries it took him). I brought the footage to the police, and they got the guy for hit and run. I also reported it to his insurance. After seeing the video they immediately accepted responsibility and told me to get a quote.

Thanks for your input!

Keep in mind, if you put a Claim in it may end up on CarFax and you'll probably lose about $4500 in Value.
You'd want to get lost values as well. Doesn't matter how minor it is. First thing anyone asks is, does it have a Clean CarFax.

I did this once on a $1200 Side View Mirror complete fault of other driver. Complete clean replacement, no painting. Car Ended up with a CarFax on it a year later when I traded it in. I lost $5K easy. You can't explain it away to anyone.

It’s an accident, a screw up, not intentional like slashing your tires.
If $900 cover makes it look nice, do the work, forgive the screwup, and move on.

Sure its an accident... where the person causing it RAN. that behavior should never / ever / ever be rewarded. The person who hit him and then ran should know that, this NEVER a solution. Personally, I am surprised that the person who hit him had insurance at all, since normally, people with insurance are not going to try to hit and run an accident.

I simply dont get anyone saying "cut the guy a break" in this situation, BECAUSE he ran. Many times, it not the action that is an issue, its the action after the action. Example: child does something wrong, then lies about it when you ask. Most parents would consider the lie the bigger issue, and make the lie a "teachable moment".

The accident is not really the issue. @#!@ happens. The issue is the person attempting to drive away. Sure you could call it "panic" or whatever other excuse someone wants to think up, but a responsible person does not run in such a situation. I said I was being a bit petty in my earlier post in this thread, but I would have zero consideration for cutting the person who ran any "break" whatsoever. They lost that when they ran.

Sure its an accident... where the person causing it RAN. that behavior should never / ever / ever be rewarded. The person who hit him and then ran should know that, this NEVER a solution. Personally, I am surprised that the person who hit him had insurance at all, since normally, people with insurance are not going to try to hit and run an accident.

I simply dont get anyone saying "cut the guy a break" in this situation, BECAUSE he ran. Many times, it not the action that is an issue, its the action after the action. Example: child does something wrong, then lies about it when you ask. Most parents would consider the lie the bigger issue, and make the lie a "teachable moment".

The accident is not really the issue. @#!@ happens. The issue is the person attempting to drive away. Sure you could call it "panic" or whatever other excuse someone wants to think up, but a responsible person does not run in such a situation. I said I was being a bit petty in my earlier post in this thread, but I would have zero consideration for cutting the person who ran any "break" whatsoever. They lost that when they ran.

I generally agree. No sympathy for that sort of behavior.

That said, the police has recorded the accident, so there is already punitive effect with respect to his driving record.

Secondly, he will incur a financial cost, whether that is through increased premiums (as a result of a claim PAID out), OR as a private settlement.

So the guy will have been dinged on 2 fronts, regardless. With the latter case, the OP might derive a bit more psychological "satisfaction". (Not to mention allaying his professed (1) anxiety over disassembly of vehicle (2) wastefulness of claim (3) satisfaction with the cosmetics of the car).

This is about seeking the optimal net outcome for all parties. Not about vengeance or extortion or illegal or amoral activities. As my final post on this thread I hope that intent has been made clear.