Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I Being Quoted Too High For My Wall Connector Installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This all sounds like a bargain. I’m curious but what house amp breaker panel does everyone have? I’m getting ready to install and have a 100amp breaker panel. Will that be enough?

I'm not a licensed electrician - you should ask this question from the electricians you get quotes on. Overall, anything less than 150amps you are likely going to have to consider upgrading/replacing your panel with a higher amperage panel (at least 200). That said, the specific answer likely depends on your current usage. I have a 200amp panel and was told that while I could install a 50-60amp breaker for a single wall charger - if we ever decided to install a second charger we would have to upgrade to a 300amp panel. We have a 2800sf single family home with an inground pool and at least four larger breakers in our box already - consisting of our HVAC (heat pump/oil backup), electric dryer, electric hot water heater, and a pool heater (electric heat pump), that consists of 40-60amp breakers depending on the appliance.

I'm not a licensed electrician - you should ask this question from the electricians you get quotes on. Overall, anything less than 150amps you are likely going to have to consider upgrading/replacing your panel with a higher amperage panel (at least 200). That said, the specific answer likely depends on your current usage. I have a 200amp panel and was told that while I could install a 50-60amp breaker for a single wall charger - if we ever decided to install a second charger we would have to upgrade to a 300amp panel. We have a 2800sf single family home with an inground pool and at least four larger breakers in our box already - consisting of our HVAC (heat pump/oil backup), electric dryer, electric hot water heater, and a pool heater (electric heat pump), that consists of 40-60amp breakers depending on the appliance.
Thanks for the reply. That’s my understanding also that the electrician do a load panel calculation. I’m considering having it installed in a second home that will be used very little for charging and it has a 100 amp panel. I don’t want to pay the full cost for a panel upgrade considering how little it will be used for charging. So I will charge only at night I’m thinking. But to the OP, not sure if people successfully add another plug without a load calculation?

Thanks for the reply. That’s my understanding also that the electrician do a load panel calculation. I’m considering having it installed in a second home that will be used very little for charging and it has a 100 amp panel. I don’t want to pay the full cost for a panel upgrade considering how little it will be used for charging. So I will charge only at night I’m thinking. But to the OP, not sure if people successfully add another plug without a load calculation?
Existing usage - you'd need to get KW peak from your electric bill for the last 12-16 months, and divide by 240v. Take that number and add the new load you want to include in the panel's rated current multiplied by 1.25. If that is lower than the panel's rated load capacity you are fine. If not you'll need an upgrade.

Existing usage - you'd need to get KW peak from your electric bill for the last 12-16 months, and divide by 240v. Take that number and add the new load you want to include in the panel's rated current multiplied by 1.25. If that is lower than the panel's rated load capacity you are fine. If not you'll need an upgrade.
I don't think many residential meters are demand meters.

Got wall charger installed in Oregon for $930. Cost for permit and 5 ft from panel with 60a breaker. Used what was recommended from Tesla website for electrician. This was cost with my own supplied wall charger. Probably two hundred more than lowest cost electrician that wasn’t on Tesla recommended list.

Take a picture of you panel and I’ll let you know. You probably need to limit charging to 24 amps.
1679449349496.jpeg

Your AC breaker is tripped. Off then on, but might be an issue with the AC.

You can easily charge at 32 amps (40 amp circuit). You might get away with 48 amps if you are willing to do planning in regards to dryer and oven operating at the same time as the evse.Really appreciate the
Yeah, I took the picture last Spring to show someone when the AC compressor was acting up and tripping the breaker. Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

I have a 200amp panel and was told that while I could install a 50-60amp breaker for a single wall charger - if we ever decided to install a second charger we would have to upgrade to a 300amp panel.
No problem installing a second charger as long as they are capable of load share such as a Tesla wall connector. They would both be on the same circuit and adjust accordingly to not draw more than the capability of the circuit they are installed on. I have a 200 amp entrance and did just that. My setup is dual tesla wall connectors on a 60 amp circuit which can produce 48a by the charger. If both cars are plugged in at the same time they will charge at only 24a each. Once one is full, the other charger will increase to 48a until it is also full. That was the quick version, amps put out by each wall connector will basically vary but a lot depends on several factors, such as SOC and battery temp. Bottom line is you will only be able to use the full potential of your 60a breaker, no more therefor no problem adding the second charger or even a third one if you so desire. Make sense?

Reactions: HitchHiker71
A bit off top, but your breaker panel is nice. Mine is over 40 years old, has about 10 different brands of breakers, and the labels have been written over each other repeatedly!

Try Breaker Panel in the app store. This allows you to enter all the info required and customize a virtual panel to keep in your phone. Can add better descriptions to what each breaker covers and comes in handy if some was to trip when away from home as you could tell however may be at home to reset breaker #X by looking at the app from your location. Has a search function so you can easily locate a certain breaker. Have to agree, nothing reasonable fits on those tiny panel labels.

So as it stands, I’m going for a Wall Connector installation. I have it on hand and am reaching out to local electricians for quotes.

My panel is located within the garage itself so there’s not much labor here since it’ll be a couple feet away from the panel. What is a reasonable cost for this type of installation given my scenario? I’m being quoted anywhere from 600-900 for this and I think that’s a little rich for what is going to be an hour tops given the location of the panel? Am I being unreasonable or is this just the new reality of inflation and electricians making some cash from EV owners?

The main thing for me is I don’t want to go the cheap route and risk anything to save a couple hundred bucks so I don’t mind paying the money but is it really this expensive for a basic and relatively short installation like mine would be?

Also noting that there are some local and federal rebates so even if I pay something like 700, I’ll get around 300 or so back from tax credits but of course I’ll have to wait till next year for that. It’s not the end of the world but just curious what others have been quoted and charged.

Anyone have a similar installation scenario? How much did it cost?

I am in GA as well. I just finished installing the Tesla Wall Charger myself. Here is what I spent on parts.

1. 6 wire : 30 feet / $5 ft = $150 from Ebay
2. 60 amp breaker : $39 at home depot. Make sure to get the correct kind that fits your breaker panel. $18 one was NOT the one.
3. 10 ft x 3 conduit(3/4in) : $30
4. misc stuff : $20-30

I got quoted $800-1300. No way I was going to spend that much.
The hardest part was putting wire thru the conduit...the wire is VERY heavy and tough and can't slide in easily. 1in conduit would work better.

Since you are installing the charger right next to the panel, it should be pretty simple. I watched youtube and learned.

Thanks both. I’ll reach out to a few more just to get a few more quotes but it looks like 600-700s is the most common price I’m getting.
mine was 2500…ran conduit…drilled through concrete wall…took 2 guys…5-6 hours total

included costs of permits…them getting them…

ouch…

got 1500 back from the electric company…so i think they hike it up…

I am in GA as well. I just finished installing the Tesla Wall Charger myself. Here is what I spent on parts.

1. 6 wire : 30 feet / $5 ft = $150 from Ebay
2. 60 amp breaker : $39 at home depot. Make sure to get the correct kind that fits your breaker panel. $18 one was NOT the one.
3. 10 ft x 3 conduit(3/4in) : $30
4. misc stuff : $20-30

I got quoted $800-1300. No way I was going to spend that much.
The hardest part was putting wire thru the conduit...the wire is VERY heavy and tough and can't slide in easily. 1in conduit would work better.

Since you are installing the charger right next to the panel, it should be pretty simple. I watched youtube and learned.
Nice work! Experienced electricians use what I call "Gorilla Snot" to pull wire through conduit. I didn't do it either - cause I'm cheap. It took a little effort but it got done. I think your costs are inline with mine. I went all of 10ft. (less but for round numbers). I paid $70 for 15' of wire, and other items (Conduit, breakers - I needed a tandem and the 60A, etc.) totaled out to $110. Just under $180 after I returned a bag of unused conduit wall clamps to HD.

Last edited:
So as it stands, I’m going for a Wall Connector installation. I have it on hand and am reaching out to local electricians for quotes.

My panel is located within the garage itself so there’s not much labor here since it’ll be a couple feet away from the panel. What is a reasonable cost for this type of installation given my scenario? I’m being quoted anywhere from 600-900 for this and I think that’s a little rich for what is going to be an hour tops given the location of the panel? Am I being unreasonable or is this just the new reality of inflation and electricians making some cash from EV owners?

The main thing for me is I don’t want to go the cheap route and risk anything to save a couple hundred bucks so I don’t mind paying the money but is it really this expensive for a basic and relatively short installation like mine would be?

Also noting that there are some local and federal rebates so even if I pay something like 700, I’ll get around 300 or so back from tax credits but of course I’ll have to wait till next year for that. It’s not the end of the world but just curious what others have been quoted and charged.

Anyone have a similar installation scenario? How much did it cost?
It sounds okay if official "inspection" is included in it. I paid $225 4 years ago without inspection.