Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I being stupid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would tell you my tale of conflict and see if you think I'm all wet. I placed a deposit to order a 5-seat X just last Saturday, so I'm in my grace period. I've made a couple of changes and am happy with the configuration based on what I can afford right now.

But I've been doing some calculations to figure out just how important having the free supercharging is, which is the reason I placed the order now in order to meet those requirements. What I found is that the travel that I would be doing is just not that significant and I don't really need to qualify for the free supercharging.

Now, that on its own is no reason to hold off, except that I got to thinking that Elon has a habit of priming the pump, or as he says, 'pulling the demand levers' with new features to get people to order more cars. The thing is that this quarter it's the free supercharging thing, and the the 5-seater production for that matter, and I think they could be holding some improvements back to introduce next quarter.

Given that the supercharger is not a big deal to me, I'm thinking that I should cancel this order and wait until February to see what they come up with to goose sales before the end of next quarter. Elon's said that after the Model 3 and something else, his 3rd top priority is to ramp up 100kwh battery production. I'm also thinking that he's headed the way of building features into the cars that can be turned on after the sale via software update, like the Enhance AP, self-driving and the software-limited 60kwh battery on the S, as a way of reducing the initial price of the car. I'm hoping that he may want to only build two battery packs, the 75 and the 100, and do the 90 in between with software limiting. That would make the 90 a lot more attractive.

The reception for the 5-seater (the variant I want because of the folding seats) has also been somewhat underwhelming, with people actually refusing delivery. They may make some improvements to fix that and right now that 5-seater design is kind of clunky, feels rushed. Have you seen the photos with the cargo floor at the lower position with the back end of the 2nd seats looking like they're mooning you? One can also hope that they might even introduce 6- and 7- versions with folding 2nd rows (not likely, but hope is free).

The other incentive I have is what I feel comfortable ordering. The X I ordered is the 75D without the Enhanced AP at sale. I'm thinking that between now and February, I might come up with a spare 10k or 15k to order the 90D with the EAP activated. That's what I really want.

I'm torn because I really want that X, even with the funky 5 seats. But I also think; what's a couple of months wait to get an even better car? What do you think?

You will only get a better car and not less if you wait for couple more months. Not to mention better build quality (finger crossed). I always say this if one wants to get a Tesla - if you can wait then wait.

I think in your shoes I'd wait. A lot of the AP features aren't on the new cars right now, and won't be until the next few software update cycles come out - the first features will be back in late December, but probably not all of them.

I'm pretty sure the 100D is the main sweetener for next quarter, but I'm also pretty sure that we're going to see significant interior changes/improvements to both S and X in the next several month before the 3 comes out - likely right around when the next 3 reveal event occurs.

Having said that, any generation of S or X is a wonderful car, and there's also something to be said for getting one now and enjoying it longer. I guess it somewhat depends on how happy you are with your current car, too.

I was surprised the 2nd row seats in the 5-seater do not recline, which seems like a prerequisite in a luxury car. Tesla generally responds to poor reviews and a better back seat may be worth waiting for. Of course, you have to realize with Tesla you will always want the version that comes out 6 months later.... this company innovates incredibly fast.

Reactions: cdub
I was surprised the 2nd row seats in the 5-seater do not recline, which seems like a prerequisite in a luxury car.

EV.......scroll down to the five seat option on my link - Order a Tesla Model X | Tesla - and read the text between the picture and the 'five seat option'. I can't figure out how to paste it here, but it says "Designed with a 60/40 split to recline separately or fold entirely flat...." and thats what I am expecting when my X arrives. Do you know if this is not correct? I'll be bummed. :(

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
I can't confirm this information, but when I test drove X this monday, I was told that starting Jan 1st the factories are getting repurposed for APAC production and will delay any US deliveries. Take this info with a grain of salt.

Tough call. I agree the free supercharging really isn't a huge deal for most folks, except that they may add more city chargers now that they have added a max annual usage. Would be a benefit to the legacy cars. Even then, it really isn't that much saved per month. Electricity is pretty cheap.

I'd love the 100D, or better, a 100D software limited to a 90D. Best of all worlds.

I'm thinking about putting my deposit down on Dec 31, then the grace period gets me into the first week of 2017. Past the Jan 4 special event. If something super fantastic shows up, before delivery forfeit the $2500 deposit. But, if delivery slips past March 31, 2017...

Of course, the longer you wait... the better the product, but also the longer you wait.

I did have one rule for myself... Not ordering AP2 hardware until it at least has officially released functionality that matches AP1.

I can't confirm this information, but when I test drove X this monday, I was told that starting Jan 1st the factories are getting repurposed for APAC production and will delay any US deliveries. Take this info with a grain of salt.
Good point. This has been true for every quarter. If a US delivery won't make it by end of the current quarter, it will slip at least a month or more so they can get all the cars on ships for the more distant deliveries. There are not many US deliveries in first month of any quarter.

EV.......scroll down to the five seat option on my link - Order a Tesla Model X | Tesla - and read the text between the picture and the 'five seat option'. I can't figure out how to paste it here, but it says "Designed with a 60/40 split to recline separately or fold entirely flat...." and thats what I am expecting when my X arrives. Do you know if this is not correct? I'll be bummed. :(

Interesting... when I asked someone on facebook who took delivery of a 5-seater if they reclined, they replied "negative". Maybe someone else with a 5-seater can chime in and confirm.
Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 8.44.47 PM.png

I'm glad I ran across this thread, I'm in a similar situation, looking to upgrade my S to an X and like the idea of free superchargers. I travel a lot so I'd take advantage of them, but like someone said electricity is cheap.

The timing of the end of unlimited supercharging is obviously a push for orders which makes my Spidey sense start tingling, can't help but think something is just around the corner. It didn't help that today I received a call and email from my sales rep informing me that all new inventory P100D MXs dropped in price overnight by $10k. At first I was like wow, that's a good deal! Then I was like... but why?!
but-why.gif

Also, is it a guarantee they won't offer an unlimited charging option for a premium, have they specifically stated that or have they only said that unlimited supercharging won't be included with the price of the vehicle anymore?

Tesla is always advancing as a brand so I agree that by waiting you will always end up with a better car but Tesla also has a habit of ignoring customer feedback and not improving key things... I'm looking at you, navigation ;) I guess what I'm saying is that while upgrades like a HUD would be nice I'd take folding 6 or 7 seats and armrests any day over one, though it wouldn't surprise me if upgrades like a HUD make it into the X sooner than folding chairs and armrests.

I like brkaus's idea of placing the order on Dec 31st but, oddly, my sales rep also addressed that in his email. He said production is already backed up to late March so if I don't get my order in soon, before the end of the month like I had planned, I may not make the April 1st delivery deadline :/ Can't help but wonder why the push to get orders in so soon!

I can't say with certainty, but I heard someone here or on the Tesla forums say that their DS told them they do recline. Someone on the Tesla forums just received their 5-seater and we are awaiting their reply about this. The thread in question is here.

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
I'm glad I am on TMC now and found this thread... i think it's very fitting to my situation.. I currently have an MX 90D but was planning to upgrade to to a P100D this week..

Some of my reasons..

1. Free charging (I use destination supercharging a lot in the warmer months).

2. AP2 - safer? I used to trust AP1 90% of the time until a few months ago when it attempted to rear me into a centre highway guardrail.. not once, not twice but three times in under 10 minutes (was reported to tesla as soon as it happened). 8 cameras and more sensors should ultimately be better, right?

3. Fully autononous driving - will Ontario, Canada ever legally allow this feature to be turned on? That's a big question..

4. Performance and Ludicrous - because I want it! I like the power and the option to go just that much faster..

5. A little bit more range - after 5 months I still suffer from range anxiety. I've frozen myself and especially my feet too many times already not willing to use heat to get home or to charge that much quicker at a level 2 charger.

I never thought that only 4 ½ - 5 months after buying my first Tesla (coming from a Toyota Camry SE) that I'd be buying or upgrading my car for another $200k+ car (yes, that's what it costs in Canada).. my 90D is nearly perfect now as Tesla SC has corrected everything (have an SC apt early Jan to finish one last thing..)

So back to OP's original thread; am I being stupid?

If not, my 90D is for sale! (Have had a few legit offers so far)..

I'm glad I ran across this thread, I'm in a similar situation, looking to upgrade my S to an X and like the idea of free superchargers. I travel a lot so I'd take advantage of them, but like someone said electricity is cheap.

The timing of the end of unlimited supercharging is obviously a push for orders which makes my Spidey sense start tingling, can't help but think something is just around the corner. It didn't help that today I received a call and email from my sales rep informing me that all new inventory P100D MXs dropped in price overnight by $10k. At first I was like wow, that's a good deal! Then I was like... but why?!
but-why.gif

Also, is it a guarantee they won't offer an unlimited charging option for a premium, have they specifically stated that or have they only said that unlimited supercharging won't be included with the price of the vehicle anymore?

Tesla is always advancing as a brand so I agree that by waiting you will always end up with a better car but Tesla also has a habit of ignoring customer feedback and not improving key things... I'm looking at you, navigation ;) I guess what I'm saying is that while upgrades like a HUD would be nice I'd take folding 6 or 7 seats and armrests any day over one, though it wouldn't surprise me if upgrades like a HUD make it into the X sooner than folding chairs and armrests.

I like brkaus's idea of placing the order on Dec 31st but, oddly, my sales rep also addressed that in his email. He said production is already backed up to late March so if I don't get my order in soon, before the end of the month like I had planned, I may not make the April 1st delivery deadline :/ Can't help but wonder why the push to get orders in so soon!

They haven't told us anything about the pricing structure after the first 400 kWh per year yet, so there could easily be one time purchase annual packages or packages included with battery upgrades.

Having said that, I don't think there's any possibility of an unlimited option package whatsoever. There are companies out in California holding their whole business model on getting $5k+ per year of electricity from Tesla per car - one of the main reasons Tesla ended free Supercharging to begin with (the other being locals with home charging options choosing to supercharge daily and thereby hogging all the stalls.) Tesla can't afford to give companies like that an option to buy without pricing it so high that's it's ridiculous for anyone else imho.

I'm glad I am on TMC now and found this thread... i think it's very fitting to my situation.. I currently have an MX 90D but was planning to upgrade to to a P100D this week..

Some of my reasons..

1. Free charging (I use destination supercharging a lot in the warmer months).

2. AP2 - safer? I used to trust AP1 90% of the time until a few months ago when it attempted to rear me into a centre highway guardrail.. not once, not twice but three times in under 10 minutes (was reported to tesla as soon as it happened). 8 cameras and more sensors should ultimately be better, right?

3. Fully autononous driving - will Ontario, Canada ever legally allow this feature to be turned on? That's a big question..

4. Performance and Ludicrous - because I want it! I like the power and the option to go just that much faster..

5. A little bit more range - after 5 months I still suffer from range anxiety. I've frozen myself and especially my feet too many times already not willing to use heat to get home or to charge that much quicker at a level 2 charger.

I never thought that only 4 ½ - 5 months after buying my first Tesla (coming from a Toyota Camry SE) that I'd be buying or upgrading my car for another $200k+ car (yes, that's what it costs in Canada).. my 90D is nearly perfect now as Tesla SC has corrected everything (have an SC apt early Jan to finish one last thing..)

So back to OP's original thread; am I being stupid?

If not, my 90D is for sale! (Have had a few legit offers so far)..
You're in a tesla. Just wait. Maybe harder for people to wait that do not have one. They will continue to get better. Imho ap2.0 as it stands today will never be fully autonomous.

P100D are on "sale" because they have had them a while. Probably orders that fell through for one reason or another.

I'd consider one, but insurance was high. Need to shop around insurance companies.

There is always going to be something better next month. AP2 was my trigger, car I have now on life support. I'd just like to see it do something. Else I'll be forced to ICE for another cycle.

I...
4. Performance and Ludicrous - because I want it! I like the power and the option to go just that much faster...

So back to OP's original thread; am I being stupid?...
"...because I want it" is the only rational reason we have for these cars. Rationally we could always do better financially with something much cheaper. Furthermore, our self-righteous greenness (except for mine-my surname is Green:p) really is a trifle over-the-top. I do resemble those attitudes wince my P85DL id probably about to cede place to a P100D with strikingly similar logic.

I'm in a similar debate myself, and I'm thinking of waiting for the 1qtr 2017 deliveries, which will probably be late in the quarter anyway. Will I order before 31st Dec? I haven't a clue so far...:rolleyes:

Reactions: SSD420