Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I being stupid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P100D are on "sale" because they have had them a while. Probably orders that fell through for one reason or another.

I'd consider one, but insurance was high. Need to shop around insurance companies.

There is always going to be something better next month. AP2 was my trigger, car I have now on life support. I'd just like to see it do something. Else I'll be forced to ICE for another cycle.
My insurance is already ridiculously high for the 90D. How much worse can it get for the P100D? I think I paid $5876 for the year. (I have tickets).

Didn't Tesla charge $2k for free supercharging at one point? Wouldn't be surprising if they brought that back.

Also, is it confirmed that the supercharging continues for the life of the car with all owners? Or only the original owner? If you change the battery park, does it also go away? Lots of unanswered questions it seems.
Tesla has confirmed with me that the free supercharging remains with the life of the car.

I got quoted on trading in my MX 90D and specifically asked this if I were to sell my car privately. They confirmed that this will also help combat depreciation with the small battery sizes.

If the only have passive cooling that's horrible. My 2011 LEAF has that and it now has 50-60% of it's original range.
No, NO. NOT tehe same thing. Tesla has heat pipes, which are far more efficient and faster than is the air-conditioner-based technology previously employed. Tesla's is called passive because teh only moving part is coolant, but the coolant goes from liquid to gas as it absorbs heat then reverts to liquid as it gives off heat. The entire process is very fast, very efficient and cheaper than what came before it.

Please accept my apologies for calling this simply "passive cooling". It is misleading!

Here is the link that explains why this is wonderful: 100kWh pack - geometry, pack density and ... immersion cooling?

• Informative
Reactions: cdub
No, NO. NOT tehe same thing. Tesla has heat pipes, which are far more efficient and faster than is the air-conditioner-based technology previously employed. Tesla's is called passive because teh only moving part is coolant, but the coolant goes from liquid to gas as it absorbs heat then reverts to liquid as it gives off heat. The entire process is very fast, very efficient and cheaper than what came before it.

Please accept my apologies for calling this simply "passive cooling". It is misleading!

Here is the link that explains why this is wonderful: 100kWh pack - geometry, pack density and ... immersion cooling?
The improvement in milage between the 90 and the 100 doesn't seem that significant right now. Does the performance thing really take that much of a toll?

The improvement in milage between the 90 and the 100 doesn't seem that significant right now. Does the performance thing really take that much of a toll?
I am not the definitive expert by any means. There are a few electrical engineers on the forum who are...
I think the biggest direct impact will be in reduction of passive losses when battery cooling is required plus seriously improved reliability and longevity.. Otherwise the greater mechanical simplicity and reduced weight probably are the larger factors. I hope we can get authoritative answers to these questions soon. To do so we'll probably need to wait for some new pack experience to accumulate.