Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I charging incorrectly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

I received my first electric bill with a complete month of charging my Model 3. My bill went from 149.00 to 251.00. There are no off peak rates with my supplier Eversource here in MA. I have charged only twice to 100% both times to confirm 325 miles of range.
Home 322.87 kWh 339.28 kWh 95.16 % 2 Days 4 Hours 32 Minutes 19 Minutes $ 0.00 $ 42.43

The above from Teslafi using the total per KWHs costs from Eversource, but excluding the 7.00 per month minimum charge that’s added to the per KWH that I calculated to be .095 cents and plugged into price box in Teslafi. The 7 bucks divided by 30 days is 23 cents per day. Is my math incorrect? Nothing other than charging has changed in our monthly electricity usage. I have since reduced my SOC to 80%.
The car had 60 miles on the ODO when I took delivery, and now has 1376 miles. I don’t drive a lot.
Thanks in advance from Einstein’s mentally challenged long lost cousin.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I received my first electric bill with a complete month of charging my Model 3. My bill went from 149.00 to 251.00. There are no off peak rates with my supplier Eversource here in MA. I have charged only twice to 100% both times to confirm 325 miles of range.
Home 322.87 kWh 339.28 kWh 95.16 % 2 Days 4 Hours 32 Minutes 19 Minutes $ 0.00 $ 42.43

The above from Teslafi using the total per KWHs costs from Eversource, but excluding the 7.00 per month minimum charge that’s added to the per KWH that I calculated to be .095 cents and plugged into price box in Teslafi. The 7 bucks divided by 30 days is 23 cents per day. Is my math incorrect? Nothing other than charging has changed in our monthly electricity usage. I have since reduced my SOC to 80%.
The car had 60 miles on the ODO when I took delivery, and now has 1376 miles. I don’t drive a lot.
Thanks in advance from Einstein’s mentally challenged long lost cousin.
Upon a closer look Eversource is charging me much more than I calculated. 13.588 cents per KWH. The bill is, I believe, intentionally confusing.

Well, I didn't factor in all your math. Just thinking that if you indeed only charged TWICE during the month (worst case 650 miles of charging?), in my wildest imagination I can't see $100 difference. I'd say there is definitely something else going on other than your Tesla. What in the world do you pay per KWh?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nocturnal
Well, I didn't factor in all your math. Just thinking that if you indeed only charged TWICE during the month (worst case 650 miles of charging?), in my wildest imagination I can't see $100 difference. I'd say there is definitely something else going on other than your Tesla. What is the world do you pay per KWh?
Thanks very much. What do you pay per kWh in Nevada?

Well, I didn't factor in all your math. Just thinking that if you indeed only charged TWICE during the month (worst case 650 miles of charging?), in my wildest imagination I can't see $100 difference. I'd say there is definitely something else going on other than your Tesla. What is the world do you pay per KWh?
According to Teslafi I charged 163 times mostly small no more than an hour charge each time.
In northern Nevada, I pay 8 cents at any time of the day. So it cost about $7 to charge my X100 bottom to top (for about 290 miles of range). Oh, and it is not a tied rate like we had in California which PG&E totally ripped us off on electricity until I put in solar.
WOW. Please ship me some 8 cents per kWh Nevada electrons.

• Funny
That appears to be an unbelievable charge for the miles driven. The only thing I can think of is temperature control.
Is preconditioning on?
Is cabin overheat protection on?
If it's hot, those two could possibly do it.

• Helpful
Ok, there you go. 13.6 cents per KWh multiplied by the KWh you used to charge your car is the answer. Wouldn't that be less than $30 ?

13.6 cents isn't terrible. A little higher than national average, but a lot cheaper than some of the big cities.
Sadly no I used 1004 kWh so the bill is correct. 136.00. What really bums me out is that my Model 3 is way more expensive to drive than
my V6 Toyota Avalon was. I would have spent about 70 bucks in gas to drive the same number of miles. There’s a MA owners thread. I’ll ask the folks there. What they are paying. You’ve been very helpful. Thanks very much.

That appears to be an unbelievable charge for the miles driven. The only thing I can think of is temperature control.
Is preconditioning on?
Is cabin overheat protection on?
If it's hot, those two could possibly do it.
Thanks Jerry. No preconditioning, no cabin overheat protection, still cold up here.
What mystifies me is that there have been no changes to our usage here. Just the addition of the car.

Sadly no I used 1004 kWh so the bill is correct. 136.00. What really bums me out is that my Model 3 is way more expensive to drive than
my V6 Toyota Avalon was. I would have spent about 70 bucks in gas to drive the same number of miles. There’s a MA owners thread. I’ll ask the folks there. What they are paying. You’ve been very helpful. Thanks very much.

These is no way you used 1004kWh to charge twice a car with a 75kWh battery. It just like saying you used 200 gallons of gas for filling the Toyota twice. How did you get the 1004 kWh number?

my V6 Toyota Avalon was.

What? really? That doesn't sound right at all. You used a mega watt hour of charging in one month ??? i thought you said you only charged twice. I am confused.
This is just a GENERAL statement and varies somewhat depending on what you pay for electricity and gasoline. In our case, the cost per mile to drive our MX is 1/3 the cost of our Acura that gets about 40 miles per gallon.

Reactions: preilly44
These is no way you used 1004kWh to charge twice a car with a 75kWh battery. It just like saying you used 200 gallons of gas for filling the Toyota twice. How did you get the 1004 kWh number?
Teslafi says this.

167 Charges At 2 Locations
332.03 kWh
349.47 kWh
2 Days 5 Hours 47 Minutes

At my per kWh cost .13588 that totals 48.29. Not the hundred I got billed for. I have a call into them

What? really? That doesn't sound right at all. You used a mega watt hour of charging in one month ??? i thought you said you only charged twice. I am confused.
This is just a GENERAL statement and varies somewhat depending on what you pay for electricity and gasoline. In our case, the cost per mile to drive our MX is 1/3 the cost of our Acura that gets about 40 miles per gallon.
No the 163 charge count number is in red next to the house icon from Teslafi. I redid the math correctly above, and the result is much better. Something else gives here because our usage is the same or less than before exception being the car.
Thanks very much for your help.

Teslafi says this.

167 Charges At 2 Locations
332.03 kWh
349.47 kWh
2 Days 5 Hours 47 Minutes

At my per kWh cost .13588 that totals 48.29. Not the hundred I got billed for. I have a call into them

Making a little more sense but still seems like a lot. Question, do you have tiers or flat rate on your electricity there? And do you you have TOU (time of use)?

Thanks Jerry. No preconditioning, no cabin overheat protection, still cold up here.
What mystifies me is that there have been no changes to our usage here. Just the addition of the car.
Could it be that TeslaFi is keeping the car awake rather than going to sleep? (I don't use TeslaFi, so I'm not sure how it operates).
What happens if you set the charge timer so that the charge is finished about the time you normally start driving?

Reactions: preilly44