Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I crazy? Considering ditching my Model S for the Ford Focus RS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been considering the same thing, but it's to replace my aging VW Rabbit, not my P85D. I love a manual transmission (my Rabbit has one) and in many ways my P85D feels sterile, even with much higher performance capabilities. I drive my Rabbit more than I drive the Tesla (two exceptions: during commutes, when I can use the HOV lanes in the Tesla, and on SF to LA runs, where autopilot shines).

For pure driving enjoyment, a small car with a lot of engine and a manual transmission can't be beat. Do it.

Very interesting. I'm used to reading posts on here like "I sold my 911 because I was never driving it anymore".
I don't commute to work and don't anticipate doing it in the future, I also don't make a lot of long distance trips either which eliminates both of your main Tesla use cases...

I'm getting closer to biting the bullet. I think I still need to find a way to drive one somehow.

Very interesting. I'm used to reading posts on here like "I sold my 911 because I was never driving it anymore".
I don't commute to work and don't anticipate doing it in the future, I also don't make a lot of long distance trips either which eliminates both of your main Tesla use cases...

I'm getting closer to biting the bullet. I think I still need to find a way to drive one somehow.

I like my P85D a lot (and it's my second Tesla), but I'm agnostic when it comes to electric cars vs. ICEs...whichever provides the best combination of performance and driving enjoyment is what I go for. The newest Car & Driver arrived today (for subscribers; not on the website yet (correction-it is on the website)) and their feature is on the Focus RS. They liked it. A lot. Not to the point of declaring it the best vehicle ever made, but it looks like they're impressed (they REALLY like the manual 6 speed). Here's their conclusion: "Ford has been building RS models for nearly five decades, and Americans have been lobbying for them for nearly as long. The first one to officially cross the Atlantic may be one of the best."

Last edited:
The RS would be awesome! One of the few sports cars with a manual transmission, remarkable power, great price. If you have a shot at it, go for it! To play devil's advocate, it might be horribly impractical if you have to transport the kids in a pinch (say if the van had a mechanical problem or was out of service for some other reason. Minor issue though, so not a deal killer...

First a quick disclaimer: Please only post on the thread if you know what a Ford Focus RS is. :) No one liners please like "It burns gas, eww!"

Here goes... I'm very strongly considering snagging an open allocation this week for a Ford Focus RS. My current car is a 2013 Model S P85.

Am I nuts?

It was my dream car 3 years ago, but in the mean time my wife and I had twins (total of 5 kids) so it's no longer our go everywhere do anything family car. Yes we can all squeeze in there and have been for most of this year, but driving our van is much nicer. Our 3 and 5 year olds can buckle themselves up etc.... I had a deposit for a Model X which I'm going to be dropping this week. It's pretty neat, but costs an arm and a leg and doesn't have the practicality (cargo room etc.) that a minivan has.

Anyways I think I want something smaller and more fun for when Im driving by myself or have 3 or less kids along for the ride....

I've never kept a car more than 3 years. My first couple cars were beaters, both had over 200,000km on them, but my previous car (a BMW 335d) and the Tesla I've bought new and kept 2.5 -> 3 years. I'm really hoping that I can keep the RS a long time. Apparently it's too easy to get seduced when you spend a lot of time reading car websites...

I should add that I don't do a ton of driving especially since I have worked from home for the past 8 years. I'm going to be looking to start a new career this fall but won't be venturing very far from home as commuting and chewing up large portions of my day isn't an option.

Thoughts?
I just ordered a model s. My 16 year old son, who is a car nut, has told me probably 10 times to cancel my order and get the RS. I have to give tesla a try.

The RS looks awesome. I've never drifted but would do it if I had that car!

It's been a little while since you posted this, but maybe I can provide some insight. I'm not a die-hard EV guy. I love what they're capable of, but at the same time also love the visceral quality of a great-sounding ICE. My feelings for EVs aren't strong enough for me to say I'd never buy an ICE, like some others have. Plus, shifting manually is one of my favorite things.

As background, I drive my Model S and also a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. My Evo is similar in most regards to the RS: similar size, drive configuration, and horsepower (mine's got about 50whp over a stock Evo). I can say, unequivocally, that every time I get in the Evo I have a blast. I only take it out maybe once a week, but it is FUN. It's not as fast as the Model S, and the lag is very apparent, but the sounds it makes and things it can do make it great to drive.

So, the main thing is probably how well that balances with your capacity needs. Certainly a car the size of a Focus is going to come nowhere near what the S or X offer. Personally, I don't even want to drive the Evo with just my wife and our 1 year old, but if you can make it work then I say go for it.

Cars like the RS only come into their own when driving full throttle and carrening around corners at twice the posted speed.

While great fun, the police around here will consider driving like that to be a menace and ticket you until your insurance goes away.

When cruising in a normal manner they tend to be loud, corse, rough riding and generally out of their element.

Totally different vehicle, in almost all aspects than a model S.

Appeals most to those with the highest levels of Testosterone.

I wouldn't screw around in this thing - when it crashes it doesn't look like it stands up well. It looks like it got hit pretty hard and it looks like the passenger crush zone was breached. Not sure I would want my kids riding in this thing. Looks like a deal killer for me and my family.
Ford Focus F'ed.jpg

focusrscrash.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DrivingRockies
I saw it at the auto show last year. Beautiful vehicle. If I didn't have 5 kiddos (and need the 3rd row up at all times) it would be a great family vehicle. 15 cu ft behind the 3rd row is less than 50% of the cargo space of any minivan... Not practical for us.

I haven't driven an RS, but I get where you are coming from. I've got an older Golf R as an "other" car, and it's quite a bit more engaging to drive than the Model S. I've been thinking about an RS to replace the Golf, so I don't think you are crazy at all.

Left field option: Have you driven a Chevy SS? Do they sell those in Canada? I test drove one the other day and they are freaking hilarious--almost completely the opposite of the Model S from a refinement standpoint, but an enormous amount of fun to drive.

Frankly, when my RVG/lease is up, I don't know what I am going to get to replace the Model S. Another MS will be north of 100K, and that's just a *lot* of money to spend on a car. My current S hasn't held its value as well as I was kind of hoping it would (what with autopilot and all), and with the Model 3 still 2+ years away, I may have to find something non-Tesla to buy. The way the market is evolving, this may be my last chance to buy a truly analog new car.

You say you want to keep the car a long time - but what do you consider a "long time"? In my experience Ford and Chevy products will start to deteriorate in 5 years, and in 10 they're really difficult to keep on the road. I'm very interested in seeing how the Model S holds up in comparison. But you're buying a Ford here, so you have to know it will be requiring a lot of expense to keep on the road after 5 years or so. Just my opinion based on my experience.

• Disagree
Reactions: pedriscoll
First a quick disclaimer: Please only post on the thread if you know what a Ford Focus RS is. :) No one liners please like "It burns gas, eww!"

Here goes... I'm very strongly considering snagging an open allocation this week for a Ford Focus RS. My current car is a 2013 Model S P85.

Am I nuts?
Yes. Not that there's anything wrong with being nuts. We all have our quirky tastes.

It sounds like you've decided to use a full-size van for your practical needs, because Model X is too small (!!!). So you want a smaller "fun sporty" car for your second car.

Consider this: replace your Model S with a Performance Model 3.

Or if you're feeling *really* sporty, consider getting a motorcycle license and a Zero. You can't beat a Zero for sporty.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe