Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I Crazy for Not Getting Auto-Pilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Max, Having just ordered my s 70 without it for me it came down to actual use. Are you driving a lot in heavy traffic conditions? 50 miles plus daily? This is what I asked myself and because these types of situation aren't the norm for me it just really didn't make sense. I do have ACC currently on my CLS550 and even my wife's QX60 and while I do think they are a convenient way of having to not use my right foot I don't think it was worth it for me in the end. Cheers.

I ordered my 70D without AP. I work from home, so no commute, and I don't really expect to take my Tesla on long trips, so the features don't have much appeal to me. Also, since most of the features aren't even available yet, I figured I'd just pay the $500 penalty later if they get great reviews when they are released. If anything, I expect the cost to activate the AP features to drop eventually, the same way Tesla rolled a lot of the Tech Package features into the base model. The hardware is already on the car, so they've already made the investment. They just need to suck me in later with a good price.

No, you are not crazy. Given that you'd still get the hardware anyway, you could choose to put that $2,500 in a decent investment (TSLA?! ;)) and generate the additional $500 over time.

Yeah, I've "had Autopilot for 9 months" with not much to show for it. I'm one of those outliers who are not fans of TACC, even in and particularly in stop-and-go driving; I find that modulating the go pedal myself makes for a smoother driving experience than the spiffy acceleration and sticky stops that TACC does. I end up more stressed with TACC on, worrying about folks cutting in and such.

I'm gonna wait:

It will be a steep learning curve for me anyway to learn the ins & outs of the car

don't take a lot of long road trips (at least haven't in the past)

live 1.5 miles from my job

can add later once it's evaluated & debugged my you all

can use that $$ now for Xpel/tint

¯_(ツ)_/¯

My bad. Still relatively a good deal given an expensive car. I'd get it at delivery to save the $500.

That is exactly what I understand from the website and what the sales guy told me. I did not add auto pilot when i order my model S and now prior to delivery they want $2500 + $500 for adding auto pilot which totally contradicts whats on the website. Thats a big lie by tesla.

Did not get the AutoPilot either, had to draw the line somewhere and the air suspension, 85 kWh battery, and the AutoPilot did not make the cut.

Can't miss what I've never had. Besides I enjoy driving. The next Tesla I buy will have it all standard :)

If anything, I expect the cost to activate the AP features to drop eventually, the same way Tesla rolled a lot of the Tech Package features into the base model. The hardware is already on the car, so they've already made the investment. They just need to suck me in later with a good price.

You make a great point, as does WATTZEE and gg_got_a_tesla. I don't commute either, but just plan on taking it on some trips from time to time.

The other great point is that the technology tends to get integrated or cheaper over time, as they introduce new technologies so I could see it as something that costs $1000 a couple of years from how, especially since the HW isn't there.

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth! Good arguments on both sides.

Potentially a future "sale" on the AP. I did not order my 60 in early 2013 enabled with SC as there were not that many. It was $2,500 when ordered and $3,000 afterward. As the SC network grew I was a bit sorry that I did not include initially. About 9 months later I received an e mail that Tesla was having a sale and the price was reduced to $2,500. I got it! So maybe AP too will go on sale for those who did not order.