Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I crazy for wanting to go from MY to M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we have a 2020 MY LR in white with black interior. I upgraded (after the fact) to 21" Ubers (which are still mint). I love everything about the MY - except for the styling and the white paint. The M3 looks a hell of a lot better while the MY looks so bulbous. And I have an early VIN and my white paint leaves much to be desired. I had body gaps which for the most part has been resolved as well as can be at this point.

Thinking about taking advantage and getting into a new M3 LR in the blue that we want. I can get close to $60k for my MY.

Has anyone made this switch before and regretted? We already have a 4Runner and my project Tacoma. So space is not so much a concern. And bonus points my insurance is cheaper and monthly payments drop almost $200.

Have you driven the Model 3? The Model Y and Model 3 are similar. One major difference is the seating height. The much lower seating in the Model 3 make entry and exiting the Model 3 a chore if you are over a certain age (you decide.)

The thing that really steered me away from the 3 was the tiny trunk opening. In fact Tesla was never in my plans until I sat/saw the Y as I really wanted the seat height and hatchback capacity of a SUV. When my Y was at the SC they gave me a 3 loaner, never thought it was that small inside in comparison to the Y and this is where the bulbous part comes in, the Y is substantially roomier all around. No way would I go with a 3 as it does not suit my needs or life style.

Seriously, go to your SC and sit in/test drive a 3, you will immediately see what I am talking about.

So we have a 2020 MY LR in white with black interior. I upgraded (after the fact) to 21" Ubers (which are still mint). I love everything about the MY - except for the styling and the white paint. The M3 looks a hell of a lot better while the MY looks so bulbous. And I have an early VIN and my white paint leaves much to be desired. I had body gaps which for the most part has been resolved as well as can be at this point.

Thinking about taking advantage and getting into a new M3 LR in the blue that we want. I can get close to $60k for my MY.

Has anyone made this switch before and regretted? We already have a 4Runner and my project Tacoma. So space is not so much a concern. And bonus points my insurance is cheaper and monthly payments drop almost $200.

No crazier than anyone else who decides they want a sedan instead of a mini SUV type vehicle (especially when they have other large vehicles for that purpose).

I dont think the QC between the two will be drastically different (regardless of what people read). The big thing is, because of the value of used cars in general, teslas in particular, and SPECIFICALLY model Ys, you can make the decision without too much (if any) financial impact.

I was originally set on getting a model 3 coming from a midsized/large sedan the 10th gen accord which had excellent legroom and pretty good trunk
But i test drove the model 3 and man to me the space ok in the front but noticeably less legroom in the back than my accord and the trunk was smaller sort of, the 3 had the extra storage compartment but otherwise very comparable to a civic interior spacewise

So then i proceed to test drive the Y and never looked back the interior legroom on par with the accord and trunk is extra

This is my only vehicle a no brainer for me
But you have a 4Runner and a tacoma so the space might not be the factor for you

4Runners have excellent resale values and with this market you can try selling that instead of the Y!

Last edited:
Reactions: Daekwan
The M3 looks a hell of a lot better while the MY looks so bulbous.
I agree, the Model 3 looks like an arrow, while the Model Y looks to have been crushed between two cars and the roof then did pop up as a result.

However the Model Y provides so much space, especially for the back seats where you can almost stand up, and of course the trunk is more practical.

The Model 3 is also more nimble, while the Model Y feels more like a van or an SUV.

It would be so great is there was a hatch back or a wagon version for the Model 3, see below.

There is a plan for a smaller compact Tesla for Europe and Asia, but I don't think it will ne sold in US.

FHoOi7LXwAIA0iL.jpgFHoOifrXIAAPw_W.jpgFHoOitiWUAAcl3b.jpgFHoOjGIXoAk_pJa.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: zpaul and Corndart
Do it. Model 3 is a lot more engaging and cohesive to drive than Model Y. The latter feels disjointed; the quick steering doesn't work with the higher ride height.
They're essentially the same platform and underpinnings except one is tuned for understeer ya know? The quick ratio works just fine on the Y, don't know what you're suggesting. One can make the Y handle insanely better by moving to a square setup and some coils. But that's some dedication a lot of general buyers are not into. Point is you don't have to sell the Y down the river to justify this lmao.

Reactions: Daekwan
To each their own, right? I have zero interest in a sedan of any sort so neither the S nor the 3 was a consideration for me. It was
a YP and that was that. LOVE the big space in the trunk, so easy to load stuff in. I love the ride height. I came from an Accord V6
which I will say likely handles better because its so much lower. But getting in and out was a PITA for me.

You're mileage may vary. Good on you decision!

There's no wrong answer when it comes to which car you think looks better. For me, the 3 always had weird looking proportions from the front, something that the Y kind of fixed by basically being a blown up 3.

I think if the OP doesn't need the space and cargo capacity of the Y, it seems like a no-brainer to switch to a 3 based on the stated taste and circumstance.

There's no wrong answer when it comes to which car you think looks better. For me, the 3 always had weird looking proportions from the front, something that the Y kind of fixed by basically being a blown up 3.

I think if the OP doesn't need the space and cargo capacity of the Y, it seems like a no-brainer to switch to a 3.

there are parts of both the 3 and Y that I love and hate. the Y has some proportions a little better in my opinion, but it's really splitting hairs when sometimes I have to check twice if Im looking at a 3 or a Y on the road.

Now if we wanna talk about some sexy cars, Macan or the Urus have me drooling..

Have you driven the Model 3? The Model Y and Model 3 are similar. One major difference is the seating height. The much lower seating in the Model 3 make entry and exiting the Model 3 a chore if you are over a certain age (you decide.)
I didn’t read through all of this thread, but even if you aren’t over a certain age…getting into the Y is so much nicer than getting into a 3. There are other reasons, but for that one reason alone I would say the Y is worth it more than the 3.

Reactions: Corndart
Interesting as the 3 looks bulbous to me from certain angles because the glass roof rises so much higher above the rest of the car, whereas the Y is more even proportions (height of body panels versus height of windows and roof.

I still think my previous Raven S is the most beautiful Tesla in the lineup but overall the Y meets our family needs better. The 3 is a helluva car and probably the funnest to drive but it’s too small and limited trunk makes a a non-starter for me. Do what makes you happy. There are plenty of others that will happily take the Y off your hands. Good luck with your decision.

If one of your main concerns is you don't like the white, then how about getting the vehicle wrapped? You could pick any color you like and the vehicle would really stand out.

I do agree that the Model 3 is a much sexier looking car overall when compared to the Model Y, and often wish I had gotten the 3 instead of the Y. But I do find that the Model Y is so much more comfortable to be in. The seating height and the overall feel inside the cabin is much more spacious. The Model 3 interior makes me feel like I'm sitting on the floor of a Honda Civic.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve