Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I crazy for wanting to go from MY to M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're essentially the same platform and underpinnings except one is tuned for understeer ya know? The quick ratio works just fine on the Y, don't know what you're suggesting. One can make the Y handle insanely better by moving to a square setup and some coils. But that's some dedication a lot of general buyers are not into. Point is you don't have to sell the Y down the river to justify this lmao.
To each their own. When I drove a Model Y, I found it missing the magic and pizzazz of the Model 3's handling. The extra 400 lbs of weight and higher center of gravity greatly dulls a car's dynamics, even if they are built on the same platform.

Reactions: jsight and markc2
Model 3 for those who are single, married without kids, or only need a travel solo commute-to-work car; Model Y for those who have obligations towards the comfort of others or need more of an all-in-one do everything car.
Much agreed. IMO the 3 is basically great for someone who wants a 4door sports car. And as a person who daily drove a Corvette for 7 years, I don't necessarily mean that in a good way. I imagine the new M3RWD is popular because it's the cheapest Tesla you buy.. about $15K cheaper than an MYSR.

What makes the 3 a 4door sports car? It's low to the ground making it much harder to get in/out or loading/unloading any cargo.. even grocery bags (I hope you like bending over), the seating position for the driver is about 6" lower than the Y (good luck seeing over/around anything in traffic now that everybody has SUVs & Pickup trucks), the rear seat only has enough legroom to comfortably fit children & good luck fitting anything of medium to large size in that trunk. Even if I was single, with no kids.. I would prefer the Y because it's more comfortable to drive, has a better driving position, complete lay-flat cargo floor, and hatchback make it ridiculously useful for practically anything.. including hauling home wood & materials from Home Depot. Hell, just the fact that I can lay the floor flat, put an inflatable mattress in the Y, and sleep/camp overnight in it would make it more appealing.

As someone else mentioned the resale value of the Y is going to always be higher, so expect to take a bigger hit on depreciation with 3 in a couple of years when the crazy car market returns to normal. Sedans have become a hard sell in America.. and anybody who has driven the 3 & Y back to back can see immediately why people with a family would prefer the Y.

We test drove the 3, with the 18" and we have a 2015 c300 MB 4d w/ 18" and I didn't feel like it was any lower than that. I think the MB seats are a bit wider, but the 3's feel like luxurious marshmallows. The Y sits higher and was easier to get in and out of, getting closer to that age I think, but the 3's dimensions feel very similar to the c300, so it never felt small to us.

My wife loves the view of the 3 because of the way the hood drops away. I think if you need the room the Y is a no brainer. I can't speak to the Y's handling because I've only driven it a very few times.The 3 felt a bit sportier than the MB but not by much, which was fine by me, not including the 3's acceleration which is insane... That being said I wish and wish, that I could afford the Model S.

Good Luck :)

I’ve recently had a similar thought….. two MY household here, but at the time of my orders the MYP was out of what I was willing to pay (it was a 10k difference). Now that we have two MY, maybe ditch one MY for a M3P?

Im sure I would love the performance….. but as it was stated in an earlier post not sure I would like the ingress/egress experience. Plus this would be a difficult story to sell the Mrs. we would have to sell her MY. Too much invested in mine (PPF front, AB, rebates, custom plate, badges, etc…). ;)

Last edited:
I just switched from X to S for similar reasons (including trade values).

But there is no way I’d trade from a Y to a 3 because it is not a hatch back. Have you seen the problems with the power trunk on 3’s?

What ever you do, don’t take a test drive in an S ;) Best of breed. Space of Y, Speed of 3P and looks better than any of them.

Reactions: markc2 and MJP.P3D-
Depends on your priorities. I have an M3P and my dad has an MYP, so I've compared both a fair bit. The 3 drives much better - feels composed even when you're accelerating at full tilt in a performance model, suspension is much smoother and with less body roll. The main advantage the Y has is that it can haul cargo and people. If that's not a priority for you, the 3 is a better car.

As far as looks - neither car is particularly pretty IMO, though I do prefer the 3 to the Y. The S is the only truly good looking Tesla IMO.

Reactions: markc2
Depends on your priorities. I have an M3P and my dad has an MYP, so I've compared both a fair bit. The 3 drives much better - feels composed even when you're accelerating at full tilt in a performance model, suspension is much smoother and with less body roll. The main advantage the Y has is that it can haul cargo and people. If that's not a priority for you, the 3 is a better car.

As far as looks - neither car is particularly pretty IMO, though I do prefer the 3 to the Y. The S is the only truly good looking Tesla IMO.
I had a M3P (Stealth on 18" and 19"). Friend just picked up a MY on 19". I was shocked how quiet and smooth the suspension was. Very good for a long trip. I don't know how much the Model 3 has improved. But I didn't like 2018 M3 for long trips (let alone storage limitations) on 18" or 19" (let alone on 20"). I didn't drive my friends MY. I'm sure it didn't handle as well as the 3. It's a trade off. My X didn't handle as 3,Y or S. But it handled better than any other SUV and was extremely comfortable for long trips. So it's not just storage to consider.

I had a M3P (Stealth on 18" and 19"). Friend just picked up a MY on 19". I was shocked how quiet and smooth the suspension was. Very good for a long trip. I don't know how much the Model 3 has improved. But I didn't like 2018 M3 for long trips (let alone storage limitations) on 18" or 19" (let alone on 20"). I didn't drive my friends MY. I'm sure it didn't handle as well as the 3. It's a trade off. My X didn't handle as 3,Y or S. But it handled better than any other SUV and was extremely comfortable for long trips. So it's not just storage to consider.
In my and my dad’s case we both have 2022 models with the respective PUPs. The Y is much choppier and rides rougher for sure. I definitely prefer the 3 for long trips (especially since typically I don’t have back seat passengers or excess cargo)

I’ve never ridden in an X, so I can’t comment on that.

They're essentially the same platform and underpinnings except one is tuned for understeer ya know? The quick ratio works just fine on the Y, don't know what you're suggesting. One can make the Y handle insanely better by moving to a square setup and some coils. But that's some dedication a lot of general buyers are not into. Point is you don't have to sell the Y down the river to justify this lmao.
I used to think S and X were the "same platform" too. Completely different animals. Maybe 3 and Y are a bit closer. But with all the Y changes with stamped subframe, new wiring system and up coming structural battery pack. I think the 3 is furthest behind now ;)