Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I crazy for wanting to put Turbines on a new Model S LR?

HX_Guy

Sep 1, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I have a new Model S LR on order (with the 19s), with the plan to change it to 21s after delivery (I hate how the Arachnids look!)

I currently drive a Dec 2016 Midnight Metallic Silver Model S with Turbines...and I freaking love how it looks! I still look back at the car in a parking lot when I park! :p

The new LR is also Midnight Metallic Silver haha but I wanted the new longer range, the new interior and all the other cool stuff the new one has vs my 2016.

2101Guy

Jan 6, 2020
USA
I think they look great in 21" size on the S.
Note: The new refreshed S uses wider 21" wheels and slightly different offset in the rear..

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond

HX_Guy

Sep 1, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I think they look great in 21" size on the S.
Note: The new refreshed S uses wider 21" wheels and slightly different offset in the rear..
I dont think the slightly slimmer tires would necessarily be a bad thing on the LR...possibly a little better range?

Offset can be fixed with spacers :D I have them on my S now to get a better stance.

Reactions: 2101Guy

Flyguy

Aug 17, 2017
I have always loved the look of the turbines on the model S. For all the years before I bought one, that’s what I assumed I would run. After knowing more about their weight, the fact that their cast, and their price I decided to go with 20 inch forged custom wheels. I bought five wheels and tires (One full size spare) for about the same price. I also don’t worry about potholes on 20” wheels. I love them and think they actually look better now.

Reactions: Ormond

Saimaannorppa

Sep 3, 2017
Finland
I have a new Model S LR on order (with the 19s), with the plan to change it to 21s after delivery (I hate how the Arachnids look!)

I currently drive a Dec 2016 Midnight Metallic Silver Model S with Turbines...and I freaking love how it looks! I still look back at the car in a parking lot when I park! :p

The new LR is also Midnight Metallic Silver haha but I wanted the new longer range, the new interior and all the other cool stuff the new one has vs my 2016.
Fully agree and have pretty much same situation. There's such a huge difference between Slipstreams (which mine came with) and Turbines (which I bought this spring). Model S was designed with Turbines, and it shows. Silver Arachnids look great too on MSM, but I'm not a fan of dark rims.

If you try the Turbines on LR, could you please report back on what size spacers are needed, if TPMS work as expected, and pictures of course!

HX_Guy

Sep 1, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I actually bought some brand new 21" Slipstreams that have been sitting in the garage since I ordered the LR back in January...I like how they look as well, but not sure I like them as much as the Turbine's. I guess I can put one set on one side and another on the other side and see which I like better haha

Sunshine State

Automotive Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2017
Florida
I actually bought some brand new 21" Slipstreams that have been sitting in the garage since I ordered the LR back in January...I like how they look as well, but not sure I like them as much as the Turbine's. I guess I can put one set on one side and another on the other side and see which I like better haha
Tesla OEM Slipstreams only come in 19" on the S and 20" on the X. Not sure what 21" Slipstreams you bought

GetYourWheels

Vendor
Apr 9, 2014
Santa Fe Springs, Ca

If you like how they look, I say go for it.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC