Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I crazy for wanting to put Turbines on a new Model S LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new Model S LR on order (with the 19s), with the plan to change it to 21s after delivery (I hate how the Arachnids look!)

I currently drive a Dec 2016 Midnight Metallic Silver Model S with Turbines...and I freaking love how it looks! I still look back at the car in a parking lot when I park! :p

The new LR is also Midnight Metallic Silver haha but I wanted the new longer range, the new interior and all the other cool stuff the new one has vs my 2016.

I have always loved the look of the turbines on the model S. For all the years before I bought one, that’s what I assumed I would run. After knowing more about their weight, the fact that their cast, and their price I decided to go with 20 inch forged custom wheels. I bought five wheels and tires (One full size spare) for about the same price. I also don’t worry about potholes on 20” wheels. I love them and think they actually look better now.

Reactions: Ormond
I have a new Model S LR on order (with the 19s), with the plan to change it to 21s after delivery (I hate how the Arachnids look!)

I currently drive a Dec 2016 Midnight Metallic Silver Model S with Turbines...and I freaking love how it looks! I still look back at the car in a parking lot when I park! :p

The new LR is also Midnight Metallic Silver haha but I wanted the new longer range, the new interior and all the other cool stuff the new one has vs my 2016.
Fully agree and have pretty much same situation. There's such a huge difference between Slipstreams (which mine came with) and Turbines (which I bought this spring). Model S was designed with Turbines, and it shows. Silver Arachnids look great too on MSM, but I'm not a fan of dark rims.

If you try the Turbines on LR, could you please report back on what size spacers are needed, if TPMS work as expected, and pictures of course!

I actually bought some brand new 21" Slipstreams that have been sitting in the garage since I ordered the LR back in January...I like how they look as well, but not sure I like them as much as the Turbine's. I guess I can put one set on one side and another on the other side and see which I like better haha

I actually bought some brand new 21" Slipstreams that have been sitting in the garage since I ordered the LR back in January...I like how they look as well, but not sure I like them as much as the Turbine's. I guess I can put one set on one side and another on the other side and see which I like better haha
Tesla OEM Slipstreams only come in 19" on the S and 20" on the X. Not sure what 21" Slipstreams you bought

If you like how they look, I say go for it.

I have always loved the look of the turbines on the model S. For all the years before I bought one, that’s what I assumed I would run. After knowing more about their weight, the fact that their cast, and their price I decided to go with 20 inch forged custom wheels. I bought five wheels and tires (One full size spare) for about the same price. I also don’t worry about potholes on 20” wheels. I love them and think they actually look better now.
Hello Fellas, just got the Model S 90D preowned and it comes with the slipstream 19” Goodyear Touring tires.

But man, I keep going online looking at pics of rims and the turbines catch my eyes also. Like it was made for the model S.

But I’ve also heard the real life stories and read on other chats how they are much heavier rims, can crack easily on pot holes, tires cost almost double more to replace…etc

But almost feel any high end sports car you have to deal with those things. So haven’t pulled the trigger to get a pair of 21”. Yet. Lol

Maybe you fellas on this chat can let me know as of January 2022 has there been something better to fix this urge… hahaha