Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I crazy to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Forum!

I've been reading all the posts for quite a while (the good, the bad, and the ugly) and I would like your advice about purchasing a 2008 Roadster.

I live in Los Angeles with a 5 day daily commute of 60 miles round trip. I have always dreamed of taking the HOV lane and I'm tired of forking out $500 on gas and I have always had a love for Lotus cars.

I do not want to buy a new Tesla model for the interior is gorgeous...I just don't like the exterior. It just looks like a shiny sedan. And I do not want to buy the tiny little electric BMW or really any of the newer electric models...I just don't like the way they look.

Here comes in Tesla Roadster! Love love love the look, size, and feel of the car...no gas...and I will get to ride in the HOV lane cutting my commute in half.

I've been shopping around in person and online at different Roadsters...test drove them...and love them. I prefer the classic interior of the 2008 model plus there is just something about having first year that makes me all tingly inside.

Because I will be putting 80k plus miles on over the next 4 or so years...I would want a very low milage Roadster. There is one with around 3000k miles that has gotten my attention.

So...am I crazy to buy a Roadster for my daily commuting car? I don't want to have to spend 30k on a new battery after a couple years...and I don't want to fork out 10k on a new PEM. Do you think the 2008 battery will last me 100k miles? I know they deplete after so many years...but as long as I can get 100 miles a charge out of them...I'm good for my commute.

Quirks like maybe the auto window not working...or the blower going on a fritz doesn't concern me. I'll fork out a little to get those fixed...it's the big boy bucks problems that has me concerned.

Let me add...that I have a backup vehicle incase the roadster poops on me and needs to go into the shop.

So...am I crazy to consider the roadster as my commuting car? Do you think I could get 100k on her...then retire her to my garage afterwards?

I value your opinions.

Thanks!
Mike

Reactions: AtAge19
Unless the Roadster you buy has NEVER been issued an HOV decal, you will not be able to get one! The white ones are no longer valid. You can find the details on the DMV website. I know it sucks, but the decals also ruin the looks of the Roadster in my opinion.

As long as I buy out of state...there is a good chance it has never been issued an HOV decal. And yes...I agree the decal is an eye sore...but fighting LA traffic is much worse. Besides...I'll have the back bumper wrapped in that clear chip free bra I've seen on some of the hoods. So then...when I want to get rid of the sticker...I just peel away the wrap.

To your original question of are you crazy...maybe, but aren't we all...

Some thoughts...
Not sure low mileage is going to make a huge difference in whether it will be able to make the 80K miles over 4 years. Just means it hasn't been used much. If I read it correctly, the one you're interested in has ~30K miles, so not REALLY low, but lower than some for that age.

Daily driver of 60 miles round trip should not be an issue.

If it were me, I would EXPECT to replace a PEM or Battery pack over the that 4 year period going into the deal. That way you get a bonus if it doesn't happen. If you take care of them, both could easily make it without issue.

I picked up mine a little over a month ago after thinking for years that I had just missed out on it from buying new. It was my dream car for the last 10 years and finally just bit the bullet. It has been great so far, love the acceleration and the look/style, and a conversation starter.

Mark

My 2010 had ~2400 miles on it, so in the range of your target roadster. But, I think, mine had the battery replaced as it shows "remanufactured" on the sticker. So low mileage doesn't mean the battery has been maintained. If the CAC is good, then the battery should be in good shape.

Even if the battery and PEM have been maintained, no way to know if they will fail in 1k miles or 100k miles.

Reactions: X.l.r.8
So...am I crazy to buy a Roadster for my daily commuting car? I don't want to have to spend 30k on a new battery after a couple years...and I don't want to fork out 10k on a new PEM. Do you think the 2008 battery will last me 100k miles? I know they deplete after so many years...but as long as I can get 100 miles a charge out of them...I'm good for my commute.

The battery longevity depends on both age and mileage. These cars cycle the batteries (vampire drain) even if they are not being driven, and the cells age.

Given that the car is 11 years old already, could you get another 4 years and 100,000 miles without an issue? Without battery work, or PEM, for example? I am doubtful. If you want something safe, with a warranty, buy a 3. If you want something fun, the roadster is the car - but be prepared for the worst.

The battery longevity depends on both age and mileage. These cars cycle the batteries (vampire drain) even if they are not being driven, and the cells age.

Given that the car is 11 years old already, could you get another 4 years and 100,000 miles without an issue? Without battery work, or PEM, for example? I am doubtful. If you want something safe, with a warranty, buy a 3. If you want something fun, the roadster is the car - but be prepared for the worst.

While not as fun, the right model 3 is very fun.

I do not want to buy a new Tesla model for the interior is gorgeous...I just don't like the exterior. It just looks like a shiny sedan.
Exactly!
I am doing pretty much what you are wanting to do, 100km each way and in any weather, and its a blast. While I have spent the past few weeks driving a P85D its no roadster. Not even close. The fun leaves as soon as you exit the vehicle. I grin before I even get close to the roadster, the S is just another car.
I also have a redundant car, its not run a single tank of gas since I have had the roadster, so it seems a waste with the low cost of hire cars or having a loaner. Which brings me to my main point.
The car is irrelevant if the support is non-existent. Aim any additional research at the SC in your area.
Some SC and independent shops make owning the car a great experience, while others simply become soul destroying. The more that is learned about the vehicle the less transparent Tesla has seemed to be. Replacing whole components at the customers expense like swapping a ICE engine for a faulty lifter.
Luckily the 2008 has proven to be fairly robust for the PEM issues, I'm a wheel freak so I like the option of different rims but if you like the car as a whole keeping one of the standard rims should not be an issue.
Asking if owning one is Crazy in this group is like walking into a pub and asking if anyone wants a drink.

Welcome to TMC @michaelsdavis!

So...am I crazy to consider the roadster as my commuting car?
Many of us do this and have no regrets whatsoever.

Do you think I could get 100k on her...then retire her to my garage afterwards?
Why stop at 100K? Just ask @Marius who's nearing a quarter million miles on his original ESS.

FYI, there's a SoCal Roadster Meet Up scheduled for 8/11. That would be a great time for you to get some first-hand knowledge and impressions of the car.

Exactly!
I am doing pretty much what you are wanting to do, 100km each way and in any weather, and its a blast. While I have spent the past few weeks driving a P85D its no roadster. Not even close. The fun leaves as soon as you exit the vehicle. I grin before I even get close to the roadster, the S is just another car.
I also have a redundant car, its not run a single tank of gas since I have had the roadster, so it seems a waste with the low cost of hire cars or having a loaner. Which brings me to my main point.
The car is irrelevant if the support is non-existent. Aim any additional research at the SC in your area.
Some SC and independent shops make owning the car a great experience, while others simply become soul destroying. The more that is learned about the vehicle the less transparent Tesla has seemed to be. Replacing whole components at the customers expense like swapping a ICE engine for a faulty lifter.
Luckily the 2008 has proven to be fairly robust for the PEM issues, I'm a wheel freak so I like the option of different rims but if you like the car as a whole keeping one of the standard rims should not be an issue.
Asking if owning one is Crazy in this group is like walking into a pub and asking if anyone wants a drink.

THE SC and parts are the issues for the most part. I just brought my car in for the dreaded 1144 issue again. I had replaced my FAN about 9 months ago based on Houston North SC's recommendation and its still happening.

Their NEW diagnostics is a PEM connector failure and wanted 12K.

I inquired about a CIC board replacement INSIDE the PEM which has the connector...and the SC came back with " Oh Yea" we can do that for 1K and you dont need the FULL PEM replacement....

It really miff's me when I think about how many customers get the WRONG diagnosis or worse, buy a FULL part at 12K when all they need is a $25.00 connector!

Roadster knowledge is defiantly dwindling at the SC's, Its getting to the point, I know more than THEY do!

Despite that... the car is AMAZING! I prefer my 2.5 to my older one that I traded as well. Seems a little smoother and less rattles.

YMMV....

Thank all you guys for the amazing feedback. You are not making this an easy decision LOL. I think I keep going back and forth every other day. I'll keep you updated and as far as the Roadster Show in Malibu...I would love to come...but that is the day I'm taking my family on a Cruise Ship.

If you're in LA, service won't be a problem since we have @ExecMotorwerkz here. Javier is great --you'll find nothing but praise for his work in this forum. I had him replace the insulating material behind the power transistors in my PEM as a precaution. My car (a 2.0) has lost only about 8% of its battery capacity since it was new, and a lot of that was in a short period of time between 11,000 and 12,000 miles, so there's probably a random factor involved as well as miles and age. The motor and transmission should last a very long time since the motor is sealed and really only has one moving part (the armature) and the transmission is a fixed gear unit.

Reactions: X.l.r.8
I live in Los Angeles with a 5 day daily commute of 60 miles round trip. I have always dreamed of taking the HOV lane and I'm tired of forking out $500 on gas and I have always had a love for Lotus cars.
You're a perfect candidate for a Roadster. My daily driver for over 8 years and no regrets. My plan was to replace it with a Model S at some point but now I can't part with it. I look for excuses to drive my Roadster but I don't do the same with my wife's Model 3.

Reactions: Roadster
giphy.gif

If you're in LA, service won't be a problem since we have @ExecMotorwerkz here. Javier is great --you'll find nothing but praise for his work in this forum. I had him replace the insulating material behind the power transistors in my PEM as a precaution.

This is amazing information...and you guys have been amazing with your advice. Thank you...I'll keep you updated on my progress towards Roadster Ownership.

Wow!! 400k!! Tell us more. What have you done to the car to keep it alive?
As said, just being lucky. I have done nothing special. Just normal maintenance, cleaning PEM by SC in The Hague every 50.000 km. Replacements of heater blower, airco radiator, dampers behind, PEM cooling fan and normal tires every 70.000 km rear and every 170.000 km front. One time brake pads front and rear.
Desperately waiting for a 3.0 battery since CAC is down to 100.
Had to install a JdeMo charge unit to keep on driving. Purchased via QCP and installed by former Tesla Roadster technician Neil Wise. Makes charging speed of 250km per hour possible.