TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Am I crazy to pass on a reservation?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by brantse, Mar 31, 2016.

1. brantse

brantse Member

After obsessing about all things Tesla for years, I was finally able to purchase a CPO Model S last summer. Now, I have no need for the ☰, but feel like passing up on a prioritized reservation is crazy. I'm shocked that no friends or family are seriously even interested in entertaining the idea of purchasing it. What should I do?

2. WMAC

WMAC Member

Reserve if it doesn't hurt. You never know.

3. smilepak

smilepak Member

If you had to ask....there is the problem. You have two camp of people

1) Die hard fans who will blindly buy regardless, like Apple followers..w/o knowing the spec, info, price, etc...

2) You have other ppl, who willing to wait for the reviews, feedback, and more detail to buy...

which one are you?

4. davidc18

davidc18 Member

We are going to wait until the car is available to test drive, maybe early 2018? Until then, we will entertain the notion of getting a bolt when it is available or pick up a CPO if that program comes back online (with significant inventory choices).

• Like x 1
  5. Beryl

Beryl Member

My reservation is in and I will order the vehicle only if
    1. It includes V2 autopilot hardware
    2. It is as comfortable (headroom, legroom, seatroom) as the Model S
    3. It allows for dual chargers (or 72A or better charging)
    Otherwise, I'll enjoy my current dream car (3 month old S90D) and wait for the delivery of a fully autonomous replacement -- hopefully a Tesla.

• Like x 2
  6. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I'm placing a reservation because I will want to replace my 2012 Model S sometime in the next year or two. I'm not sure at this point if I need/want a car as big as Model S given that we have a Model X for family trips. That said, I'll have to be able to get it with dual motor, auto pilot and ventilated seats. Anyway, the reservation is only $1000 and it's refundable so I'm doing it. When I placed my Model S reservation I was concerned that the company was going to go under and I'd never see the money (or the car) back. That was also a Signature reservation (although I later downgraded to get blue) so it was considerably more money. Maybe Tesla's got me jaded. ;)

• Like x 1
  7. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

8. MiamiNole

MiamiNole Member

I hope this post was sarcasm...

9. ankitmishra

ankitmishra Member

Yes. Reserve it, you will have a lot of time to think whether you need it or not.

10. Owner

Owner Active Member

There is a small chance I would trade in my Model S and get a model 3 if it is smaller and has the same range. But hey there's no rush and let others get the kinks out...

• Like x 1
  11. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

This is pretty much my situation. I'm going to consider trading in my MS for a Model 3 dependent upon the evolution and delivery options, and what the Model S looks like at that time. I see very little drawback to investing a refundable $1k to stay vested in the outcome.

Do it for the love of the game, people!

12. Monkey

Monkey Member

Still waiting for my Model X which should deliver in the next couple weeks... I will wait and see what the Model 3 reveal shows us tonight. If I like it, I'll put in a deposit. If not, I won't. The plan was to reserve a M3, unless we just didn't like what the reveal showed, and replace the wife's daily driver with it in the next 18 months or so... However, it looks like we're in the market for another car now -- wife's car got rear-ended yesterday, she's fine, car's not, but can't wait for the 3 on this one.... Might seriously consider a used Model S here or if the 3 looks like it fits the bill, we'll pick up something temporary for a year or so.

13. Petra

Petra Member

I'm not using my priority reservation either. When I can see it/touch it/drive it, then I'll think about it... besides, I'd rather have a second or third production year car than an early one, like the approach I took with the S.

• Like x 2
  14. 2krazykats

2krazykats Member

Does the priority reservation for current Tesla owners means you jump the queue past the non-Tesla owners even if you reserve later? I'd like to wait and see what the heck the 3 looks like before ordering but wasn't sure what the priority reservation meant.

I also heard Tesla employees are ahead of everyone else.

15. Borgholio

Borgholio Member

I will be putting down my reservation in a few months at which time I will have saved up a grand for the deposit. I can't justify putting money on a credit card seeing as how even if I was the first to order online, there could be 50k or more reservations in line ahead of me from employees and existing Tesla owners. I will be watching the live broadcast and then I will be watching my savings account and dropping a thousand on a reservation as soon as I have it.

• Like x 1
  16. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

I'm not overly concerned about being left out. Once production gets up to speed, there will be plenty for everyone. The first 6-12 months might be a little slow, but I'd guess by mid-late calendar '18, they'll be fulfilling orders pretty quickly.

• Like x 2
  17. Owner

Owner Active Member

I'm assuming I could "jump the line" as I did when I got my Model S as a Roadster owner.... : )

18. qqstormus2

qqstormus2 Member

I'm not reserving...saving for a wedding. I do plan on getting the model 3 when production ramps up. I'd like to buy it flat out no car note at all.

19. russman

russman Member

The reasons I'm reserving is for the $7500. I view that a big enough discount to reserve early. If you don't, that credit may be gone by then.

20. cfsaxNY

cfsaxNY Member

Isn't there a slight chance for the tax credit if your ahead in the queue via a reservation