Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I crazy to pass on a reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brantse

Supporting Member
May 18, 2015
Somerset, PA
After obsessing about all things Tesla for years, I was finally able to purchase a CPO Model S last summer. Now, I have no need for the ☰, but feel like passing up on a prioritized reservation is crazy. I'm shocked that no friends or family are seriously even interested in entertaining the idea of purchasing it. What should I do?

If you had to ask....there is the problem. You have two camp of people

1) Die hard fans who will blindly buy regardless, like Apple followers..w/o knowing the spec, info, price, etc...

2) You have other ppl, who willing to wait for the reviews, feedback, and more detail to buy...

which one are you?

My reservation is in and I will order the vehicle only if
  1. It includes V2 autopilot hardware
  2. It is as comfortable (headroom, legroom, seatroom) as the Model S
  3. It allows for dual chargers (or 72A or better charging)
Otherwise, I'll enjoy my current dream car (3 month old S90D) and wait for the delivery of a fully autonomous replacement -- hopefully a Tesla.

I'm placing a reservation because I will want to replace my 2012 Model S sometime in the next year or two. I'm not sure at this point if I need/want a car as big as Model S given that we have a Model X for family trips. That said, I'll have to be able to get it with dual motor, auto pilot and ventilated seats. Anyway, the reservation is only $1000 and it's refundable so I'm doing it. When I placed my Model S reservation I was concerned that the company was going to go under and I'd never see the money (or the car) back. That was also a Signature reservation (although I later downgraded to get blue) so it was considerably more money. Maybe Tesla's got me jaded. ;)

Reactions: ohmman
This is pretty much my situation. I'm going to consider trading in my MS for a Model 3 dependent upon the evolution and delivery options, and what the Model S looks like at that time. I see very little drawback to investing a refundable $1k to stay vested in the outcome.

Do it for the love of the game, people!

Still waiting for my Model X which should deliver in the next couple weeks... I will wait and see what the Model 3 reveal shows us tonight. If I like it, I'll put in a deposit. If not, I won't. The plan was to reserve a M3, unless we just didn't like what the reveal showed, and replace the wife's daily driver with it in the next 18 months or so... However, it looks like we're in the market for another car now -- wife's car got rear-ended yesterday, she's fine, car's not, but can't wait for the 3 on this one.... Might seriously consider a used Model S here or if the 3 looks like it fits the bill, we'll pick up something temporary for a year or so.

Does the priority reservation for current Tesla owners means you jump the queue past the non-Tesla owners even if you reserve later? I'd like to wait and see what the heck the 3 looks like before ordering but wasn't sure what the priority reservation meant.

I also heard Tesla employees are ahead of everyone else.

I will be putting down my reservation in a few months at which time I will have saved up a grand for the deposit. I can't justify putting money on a credit card seeing as how even if I was the first to order online, there could be 50k or more reservations in line ahead of me from employees and existing Tesla owners. I will be watching the live broadcast and then I will be watching my savings account and dropping a thousand on a reservation as soon as I have it.

Reactions: qqstormus2
This is pretty much my situation. I'm going to consider trading in my MS for a Model 3 dependent upon the evolution and delivery options, and what the Model S looks like at that time. I see very little drawback to investing a refundable $1k to stay vested in the outcome.

Do it for the love of the game, people!

I'm assuming I could "jump the line" as I did when I got my Model S as a Roadster owner.... : )