Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like the design if the Model X but never bought one because our first Tesla was for my wife and she preferred the sedan, so S it was. The second we purchased was a Y PUP because we have 3 kids that visit and everyone always seems to need to go somewhere this we needed a spare and we decided the Y was a good all around car, I snuck the PUP and my wife never commented so I guess I’m safe.

I really want to road trip in an all electric vehicle and I prefer the seating position of the X vs the S. I believe it has plenty of space for us, our French bulldog, and our things. I have a cyber truck on preorder, an early one, but that could be a couple or more years. Thus, I’m thinking the X is a good fit.

i just took a 3300 mile cruise from NJ to Amelia Island, FL (home 2) to Marco Island, FL (home 3 in progress) back to Amelia Island over to Tallahassee to visit my son at FSU, back to Amelia Island, then finally returning to Monmouth County NJ. The only vehicle I have here that was large enough was my enormous HD Ram Power Wagon. The trip was over 1k in gas but the truck behaved pretty nicely and I like being high up.

Can the MX be driven in a beach? Is the best choice for such a trip? If not what do you recommend? I’m going to do it again at the end of Feb or early March. I’d like to go many other places touring the country. After so many years traveling abroad we decided we’d just like to see all of the wonderful places the US has to offer. i don’t want to do tile to wait and I’m. It sure I can do 3k in my PW again.

Thanks in advance for indulging me.

Reactions: GeoG
Marco is so fun. Drove from MI down last year in my Y. Was great for 2 kids and a wife. We drove all over the island and took a day trip to the keys.

For more stuff yah an X would be great.

On the other hand, if you have 3 car money, do you want to make 4 charging stops a day? Could buy a giant caddy or something and stop less.

Reactions: Zer0t
I had a new LR X on order but cancelled it after the EPA range results came out almost 25 miles less than expected for my config. Just wasn’t worth the 45k premium over the MYP. If you like being up high, X isn’t all that much higher than a Y.

I would either wait a bit given your car set up, once a 450 mile plus X is released than strike.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
You can get any car stuck in sand, but the X can have 4WD, so it might be harder. But it's not a dune buggy. Not made for sand, but paved roads. Try it at your own risk.

3300 miles on a car trip is nothing. There are superchargers near places to eat, near bathrooms, near shopping. That's only to Colorado and back. When we bought our first Model S there was only ONE supercharger in the country, so there was a lot of charging at RV parks while we walked into town for a cup of coffee while we waited. It was eminently do-able and fun. Times have changed, and now it's still eminently do-able and even more fun.

• Love
X would work for you. Not sure about the beach.

I can't imagine driving 3300 miles on a car trip, but the X is a nice vehicle for doing such a trip. Me, I learned to fly for business trips and to do our annual trips to see family in the midwest.
If the sand is packed tight and damp, it will be fine. Loose and dry sand? Forget it: These cars are heavy and WILL sink.

Bring a pair of collapsible shovels and maybe a wood board or two just in case.

• Disagree
Reactions: totoro722 and glide
Have taken my X off roading (not rock crawling) many times and the traction and throttle control is amazing, even compared to my previous Grand Cherokees. If other cars are making it on the sand, imagine yours will too. Driving on the beach is often risky, and usually tow trucks (expensive) are standing by for those who push it too far. Airing down tires is always a good idea, but with the low profile tires on X it will not help as much with those airing down huge off road tires.

NXK X. The 25 miles of range reduction was only because that car was fitted with 22"tires. With the standard 20" tires the range is back to what was on the pre-refreshed production. Initial posts did not catch that item when complaining. Refresh slightly smaller battery pack, but with advanced cooling systems to give much faster charging and better efficiencies and tweaked aero, the car will still have better range than the Y.

The X is the best family car that Tesla offers. The Falcon Wing Doors make loading car seats and kids stuff much easier. There is also the handy Frunk to store some all the back packs and accessories kids like to bring along. Bonus is the fart button, which can also liven up the party if the kids get a little cranky :)

• Love
Have taken my X off roading (not rock crawling) many times and the traction and throttle control is amazing, even compared to my previous Grand Cherokees. If other cars are making it on the sand, imagine yours will too. Driving on the beach is often risky, and usually tow trucks (expensive) are standing by for those who push it too far. Airing down tires is always a good idea, but with the low profile tires on X it will not help as much with those airing down huge off road tires.

NXK X. The 25 miles of range reduction was only because that car was fitted with 22"tires. With the standard 20" tires the range is back to what was on the pre-refreshed production. Initial posts did not catch that item when complaining. Refresh slightly smaller battery pack, but with advanced cooling systems to give much faster charging and better efficiencies and tweaked aero, the car will still have better range than the Y.

The X is the best family car that Tesla offers. The Falcon Wing Doors make loading car seats and kids stuff much easier. There is also the handy Frunk to store some all the back packs and accessories kids like to bring along. Bonus is the fart button, which can also liven up the party if the kids get a little cranky :)
Nah I’ve been following closely. When I ordered range was 350 with 22s, and 360 without. Now low 330s.

Tesla range figures are accurate, if and only if you drive the EPA test speeds (60 mph on highway) . See the EPA schedule in the graphics on this page
With 0 wind, 0 elevation changes, velvet smooth asphalt and minimal accessories/climate control off perhaps.

I know, I’ve done it before and have actually matched EPA numbers based on the above..

But in the real world, NO ONE drives like that unless they’re actually trying to beat some kind of record.

With 0 wind, 0 elevation changes, velvet smooth asphalt and minimal accessories/climate control off perhaps.

I know, I’ve done it before and have actually matched EPA numbers based on the above..

But in the real world, NO ONE drives like that unless they’re actually trying to beat some kind of record.
Worse that than 0 window, elevation changes, etc. As the EPA test criteria show, this is on a Dynamometer. The car is not moving. It is firmly tied down and runs a computer-controlled sequence. This ensures the test values are accurate from vehicle to vehicle, but is only a simulation of real-world driving.

Worse that than 0 window, elevation changes, etc. As the EPA test criteria show, this is on a Dynamometer. The car is not moving. It is firmly tied down and runs a computer-controlled sequence. This ensures the test values are accurate from vehicle to vehicle, but is only a simulation of real-world driving.
Yeah. You don’t find that just a bit deceptive?

Especially considering almost no one but a heavily experienced EV driver with bailout plans will actually ever drive 100-0% on purpose?

I really like the design if the Model X but never bought one because our first Tesla was for my wife and she preferred the sedan, so S it was. The second we purchased was a Y PUP because we have 3 kids that visit and everyone always seems to need to go somewhere this we needed a spare and we decided the Y was a good all around car, I snuck the PUP and my wife never commented so I guess I’m safe.

I really want to road trip in an all electric vehicle and I prefer the seating position of the X vs the S. I believe it has plenty of space for us, our French bulldog, and our things. I have a cyber truck on preorder, an early one, but that could be a couple or more years. Thus, I’m thinking the X is a good fit.

i just took a 3300 mile cruise from NJ to Amelia Island, FL (home 2) to Marco Island, FL (home 3 in progress) back to Amelia Island over to Tallahassee to visit my son at FSU, back to Amelia Island, then finally returning to Monmouth County NJ. The only vehicle I have here that was large enough was my enormous HD Ram Power Wagon. The trip was over 1k in gas but the truck behaved pretty nicely and I like being high up.

Can the MX be driven in a beach? Is the best choice for such a trip? If not what do you recommend? I’m going to do it again at the end of Feb or early March. I’d like to go many other places touring the country. After so many years traveling abroad we decided we’d just like to see all of the wonderful places the US has to offer. i don’t want to do tile to wait and I’m. It sure I can do 3k in my PW again.

Thanks in advance for indulging me.
We did a 7500 mile road trip in our MS last July at it was great. We took our two dogs (lab mixes) and added a kitten we found on day 1 at a late night charging stop in PA. The car was great. We found the car usually had more range than we did and as for charging stops the car was ready to go about the same time we finished walking/watering dogs and stretching our own legs. We had plenty of space and even slept in the car a couple of times with no problems and the MX has even more space.

Teslas are great road trip cars, especially with pets. Dog mode lets you travel with pets, but still be able to do activities without pets and not worry about leaving them in the car. We had no problems leaving the animals in 100+ temps in Nevada/Utah in July. The dogs also spent a couple of nights in the car when our hotel did not allow pets )yes, you can run dog mode all night.

As for driving on the beach, sand is like snow; it all about the tires. Youi might need to go with a more aggressive tire than the standard "all season" tires. This might mean more road noise and lower range.

I'm not sure how it's possible to legitimately "disagree" a question.
I asked the question because of the infamous "mushroom hunter" thread. I'm not going to re-read that mess. For a while, people were saying that just driving down an unpaved driveway would void the warranty, at least as far as Tesla was concerned. I don't know how that all shook out in the end.
To add something a bit more on-topic: I've driven my MS 2-wheel drive, on a beach with hard sand, and there was no problem at all. I just did a 2500 mile road trip with two dogs (no kittens) and it was a joy.

I'm not sure how it's possible to legitimately "disagree" a question.
I asked the question because of the infamous "mushroom hunter" thread. I'm not going to re-read that mess. For a while, people were saying that just driving down an unpaved driveway would void the warranty, at least as far as Tesla was concerned. I don't know how that all shook out in the end.
To add something a bit more on-topic: I've driven my MS 2-wheel drive, on a beach with hard sand, and there was no problem at all. I just did a 2500 mile road trip with two dogs (no kittens) and it was a joy.
Would you prefer a funny? It was my way of saying no unless you damage the bodywork or key components as a result.

Reactions: kavyboy

Pre-refresh Model X LR+ was up to about 372 miles range.

• Funny