Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I doing something wrong? Cruising at Speed Limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
While in Autopilot/TACC, moving the gear lever fully down once then releasing does not cause TACC to cruise at the new speed limit, as described in the owner’s manual.
I discovered the only method that works... Touching the Speed Limit Sign Icon on the screen. (which appears not to be documented in the owner’s manual)

FE35BD16-7857-440F-9FE4-B38047FC31B0.jpeg

I interpreted the owner’s manual differently. I thought that if your cruising is set to a certain speed limit, you have to manually (push the ‘+’ to increase speed) adjust the speed limit to the new street speed limit.

Having the vehicle re-autoset the new speed limit by re-engaging TACC or pressing the max button would be convenient

While TACC is enabled, I usually just tap the speed limit icon on the display to adjust to the new speed limit, plus the preset offset.

It would be more convenient to reset to the new speed limit using the stalk, but tapping the icon is acceptable.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I believe that you are reading more into the manual than it actually says. This section refers to the functions when you are NOT currently in TACC. This is the functionality when you aren't already in TACC.

Reading the Note seems pretty clear to me. It mentions that the speed when driving does not adjust to speed limit changes (which clearly means when using TACC) and you need to depress the stalk to cruise at the new speed limit. That clearly is talking about when you are already in TACC, or the sentence doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: jsmay311
I observed the same thing as the OP as was similarly confused.

There's more in the manual about this on the next page too (page 64):

"Changing the Set Speed
To change the set speed while using TrafficAware Cruise Control, roll the right scroll wheel up (to increase) or down (to decrease) the set speed until your desired set speed is displayed. Slowly rolling the scroll wheel changes the set speed in 1 mph (1 km/h) increments and quickly rolling the scroll wheel changes the set speed to the closest 5 mph (5 km/h) increment. You can also use the touchscreen to change the set speed by touching the plus (+) or minus (-) next to the displayed set speed. A quick tap changes the set speed by 1 mph (1 km/h) and a press and hold changes the set speed to the closest 5 mph (5 km/h) increment. To increase/decrease to the next increment, you must release the plus (+) or minus (-) then press it again.
To cruise at the speed limit that is currently being determined by Speed Assist (including any offsets that you have set), move the gear lever fully down once then release. See Speed Assist on page 82."

upload_2018-8-9_13-52-22.png

Ok,
I think we mostly agree that it’s documented.
I just have never been able to get it to work.
Has anybody?
I believe it is supposed to be functionally equivalent to pulling the AP/TACC stalk towards you in an S or X as stated in my Model S Manual... (See attachment)
“you can adjust the speed to cruise at the speed limit that is currently being determined by Speed Assist (see Speed Assist on page 88). To do so, pull the cruise control lever toward you and hold momentarily (about half a second).”
EFDCEF8F-8621-4DC4-A492-FB9C950B6706.jpeg