Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I getting caught up in the hype of PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:oops: All depends on where you live....
IMG_9645.jpg

I bought a full front kit from ebay 3M brand. In my area theres huge construction going on on the hwy i use everyday and you can hear the small debris hitting the front of the car, at least on the left lanes.
I don’t like the idea of shelling out $1.5k+ for this to be done at a shop.
All in all windows tint and ppf all diy cost me around $700 using xpel and 3M. Hopefully i won’t have to repaint anything in the long run since we are planning to keep this car long term.
What's the link or Item Number for that 3M brand kit on eBay?

Also, what was the installation like? Days, hours, minutes, difficult or easy? Etc.

Your eBay option seems like an excellent compromise as $4k to $5k estimates appear common to do the whole car, I guess, via professionals?

(And it speaks volumes as to why the Cybertruck is so far ahead of its time, and long overdue!)

To each their own, shops here in SoCal will quote me $2k for just the front bumper alone. Is it worth it to some people? Yes. I can see why they would splurge for it.

If someone offered me PPF for your pricing, I'd definitely consider it! I'd 100% lean towards vinyl wrapping my car for $2k versus PPF though.

I had my PPF done in at a shop in Alhambra (G5 tint shop) and the price was $500 for just the front bumper alone, not $2,000. $2,000 sounds like a job for the entire front end, which includes the hood, and front 3/4 panels.

Never saw the need for the hood and front 3/4 panels as the front bumper, being grill-less, gets more rock chips than the other three pieces.

Reactions: Baytomax
Seems like a lot of the “hype” has to do with price. Where I live I quotes for $8k. So quickly decided not worth it, if I got some of the $3-4k quotes I see on here, I’d definitely do it.
There is no real reason to do the full car, that's just overkill. Full frontal will run at most $2k and in many places under that. Just the bumper itself is even less. That's all you really need.

There is no real reason to do the full car, that's just overkill. Full frontal will run at most $2k and in many places under that. Just the bumper itself is even less. That's all you really need.
Yeah. This seems fair. Truthfully if I went full PPF it would be with “stealth” so not onl for protection. It’s dual purpose at that point, aesthetics and function. But like I said, not worth it to me. I’m going to look into front, in front of rear wheels, and possibly back bumper (dogs)

Reactions: Steel28
I am using Xpel diy kit. Done full front and front doors, still have to do the rear doors and back. I have been doing one panel a day after work. Xpel seems easy to work with and it looks very good. One of the pictures, the front door has been PPFed and the rear hasn’t. It’s hard to tell even in person. I recommend it.

Attachments

• 385F8357-BE36-42A7-B057-60D5D6C444E1.jpeg
    385F8357-BE36-42A7-B057-60D5D6C444E1.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 59
  • 78AB9E6B-2250-41DB-BBF2-43FCAD7F738E.jpeg
    78AB9E6B-2250-41DB-BBF2-43FCAD7F738E.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 55
  • B967EC7F-2B3E-46AE-B5B2-8C939FCDA7AA.jpeg
    B967EC7F-2B3E-46AE-B5B2-8C939FCDA7AA.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 69
  • F0B38F8F-A1C1-4059-BBAB-98322F17AA5D.jpeg
    F0B38F8F-A1C1-4059-BBAB-98322F17AA5D.jpeg
    391.9 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: Schulz1983
I am using Xpel diy kit. Done full front and front doors, still have to do the rear doors and back. I have been doing one panel a day after work. Xpel seems easy to work with and it looks very good. One of the pictures, the front door has been PPFed and the rear hasn’t. It’s hard to tell even in person. I recommend it.
eBay? Their own website? Craig's List? Where did you get them, and how much?

Thx!

my goal is to have a car that's easy to live with, maintain, and not worry about. I do want it to look good without having to do much about it.

I had my M3 professionally ceramic coated ($1k) and front bumper PPF'd ($700)
I did DIY PPF on the rocker panel and lower rear door skirts. Costed me around $40

I regretted the professional ceramic coating. I felt that it's easy enough to do a ceramic coating myself and DIY kits are so much less expensive (~$50). Ceramic coating makes the car way more easier to clean.
I can live with the professional bumper PPF. Gives me the peace of mind that I don't have to worry about rock chips and makes bug splats easier to clean. Also, I know that I can't install the bumper PPF myself without making a mistake.

but if I had the moolah, I would have done a full PPF so that I don't have to worry about bringing it to an automated car wash.

eBay? Their own website? Craig's List? Where did you get them, and how much?

Thx!
I got them from a website driveprotectedshop.com. Heard about them from the youtuber Bearded Tesla Guy. I used his code ‘BTG’ and 20% off (keep in mind the pricing on their website is in CAD, with is about 20% less than USD). Full front and sides costed me about $1,700 usd iirc. They are in Canada and so shipping took a while (about 2 weeks), but very nice kit. I just did the A pillar and a rear door tonight. Still has two rear fenders, an A pillar, and 2 doors to do.

Attachments

• 76FED59B-7B64-4E56-959F-42EF0897B5E2.jpeg
    76FED59B-7B64-4E56-959F-42EF0897B5E2.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 68