Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I getting hosed on my insurance(Allstate)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I planned on getting competitive quotes after I got my model 3. I didn't realize it was going to be such a hassle. Every insurance company wants you to fill out some web form. I thought the insurance quote aggregators would make this easy, but they really don't help. Here's what you should do:
  1. Get PDFs of your current homeowners and auto insurance statements.
  2. Look up all the local insurance reps for the various insurance providers.
  3. Email or call them and ask for a comparative quote based on your current insurance parameters. You want an apples-to-apples comparison. If your current insurance provider provides full glass and roadside assistance, then that's what you want a quote on. Sending them the PDF is how you can avoid answering a million little questions. You'll also need to provide your SSN and every other driver's name and SSN. Do this through email.
  4. With the new quotes, contact your current insurance company and tell them you have been looking around and have gotten quotes way lower than what you are paying. Do not offer the quotes you received unless asked. If so, do not provide the lowest one. Pick the 3rd lowest. You can always counter with the lower ones if they come back with a quote higher than the lowest.
  5. Remember to consider that insurance companies give discounts when you have BOTH home and auto with them.
My Allstate insurance rates were TERRIBLE! The agent got it down to where it's the lowest of all the quotes I got without even having to negotiate.
I get junk mail all the time from my local Allstate reps saying how they can cut my insurance in half. I entertained their offers a few times recently and they were at least double what their initial offer was in the end.

I was just pricing out new model 3 insurance last night. Progressive was by far the cheapest for me for very good coverage + $100 deductibles. Total cost for the year was $1080. Nationwide, Allstate and a couple others were at least double that, if not close to triple some times. I was floored.. But long story short, look at Progressive.

I have been comparing rates and so far Progressive is the lowest and would lower my annual policy substantially. Unfortunately Progressive stinks for homeowner's insurance and I'm not sure I want to split my home & auto apart.

I have been comparing rates and so far Progressive is the lowest and would lower my annual policy substantially. Unfortunately Progressive stinks for homeowner's insurance and I'm not sure I want to split my home & auto apart.
I went with Progressive at 392 every 6 months. Had to make a claim for a glass chip in front from a vengeful road rock lol. Logged the claim Tuesday, they contacted me today, I have Safelite coming to my work tomorrow to fix it. There will be no charge if the surface repair works. If I'm not satisfied, my agent said they will pay for a replacement and it will just cost my 100 deductible.

Definitely satisfied with the customer service, at this point.

I have Commerce Insurance (Mapfre) and pay $750/yr. Have home owners and 2nd car with Commerce. Have always paid a pretty low rate since I've gone 41 years without a moving violation or accident.
Hoping that as I get older EAP will keep me accident free!

We definitely made the switch to State Farm.
Funny, I've been with state farm for years, they quoted me $960 / 6 months

Compare Car Insurance Quotes: Accurate, Fast, & Secure showed me that Metlife was a better choice at $600 / 6 months with all coverages maxed out, including a recent accident where I was not at fault and one four years ago that I was at fault. Plus they offer free windshield repair.

P3D+ BTW but they wouldn't know that from the VIN I guess.

I'm paying $1056/year with Pemco $200/1000 coverage with under-insured motorist cover and the other standard options. No tickets, good credit, mid 30s. Also have 2 other vehicles, 2 houses and umbrella with them though, so I think that includes a bunch of discounts.

I was surprised by my All State quote, it's nearly double the premium as my Cadillac ATS-V which has absolutely no safety tech. They claim the cost to repair, battery costs, etc. are why. I have a perfect driving record, no claims, multiple lines, etc.

I may drop the Tesla on All State and just pickup a policy elsewhere just for this car. My Volvo, 2016 loaded XC90 which was similar in price when new is going to end up being about 1/4 to 1/3 the price.

Recently re-evaluated my auto insurance. Had been with Progressive, and premiums were outrageous.
State Farm contacted me, but after doing the dance, their premium was only slightly less than Progressive.

Looked on line, and both Progressive and State Farm appeared on the negative list.
Traveler's was on the positive. I contacted them, and the quote was >50% lower than Progressive.

Apparently each company has formulas into which age, location, prior tickets, prior claims are all evaluated. The Traveler's Agent said I just fit into the more favorable formula.

Even if you got a decent price from Allstate, I don't know a single person that has been happy with their claims process. Some of my friends had a single claim and Allstate dropped them. People rave about USAA, so you if you have father, mother or you yourself are a veteran you might try them.