Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I getting hosed on my insurance(Allstate)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 owner. I'm being quoted $1200 per 6 month period when paid in full. 500/1000 comprehensive/collision. The quotes from other insurers seems much lower in cost.

Am I missing something or is Allstate the wrong choice for this vehicle?

Also, do any companies offer a discount for automatic collision avoidance?

More info:

Near perfect credit . One speeding ticket in the last five years. Long time resident. 20 years driving experience/license.
I'm getting about the same quote from Allstate, been with them many ears. I have all discounts through them (except home owners) and great credit. I also have 1 speeding ticket on my record. I feel it's high but haven't looked around yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: JayNJ
Model 3 owner. I'm being quoted $1200 per 6 month period when paid in full. 500/1000 comprehensive/collision. The quotes from other insurers seems much lower in cost.

I was with Allstate, had to switch to Progressive for my Model X because they were twice the cost. Also they raised rates on me about $200 after my first year, no reason. I think it’s just an expensive car in their opinion to insure. I told my agent what rate Progessive offered and he said to go to Progressive immediately before they changed their rates.

I'm getting about the same quote from Allstate, been with them many ears. I have all discounts through them (except home owners) and great credit. I also have 1 speeding ticket on my record. I feel it's high but haven't looked around yet.

I think we both need to look. Unless the auto-generated quotes are poor examples, it seems to me that Allstate is too high for Model 3s.

Also, thanks to everyone else who posted their experiences. I'm looking into Geico and Progressive right now and will make some calls when I have time.

Allstate is NOT in the Tesla insurance game as of yet. I asked my agent for a quote on my M3 and it was laughibly triple the amount than Geico and Ameriprise. Needless to say, I parted ways with Allstate and went with Ameriprise.

I have had no qualms with Allstate— they are a top tier insurance company and are really easy to work with. But they aren’t even trying to be competitive in insuring Teslas.

My quote for the Model 3 might be different now that my wife just bought a Honda Ridgeline. The 1995 Jeep was donated today and the 2002 Odyssey is going next week. We will be down to my BMW, her truck and the Murano before the Model 3 arrives.

My "ballpark estimate" from my Allstate guy (new york state, no accident/tickets past 5 years, also have homeowners...) was 500/6 months. Will be anxious to see the real amount when I get a VIN in a few months, but at face value, seemed about right compared to what I'm paying today.

There is so much information you're omitting. What are your coverage amounts? Deductible? Location being city or town?

I live in Boston with all of the standard coverage limits here which you can find online and have a 1 k deductible for a 1600 premium every year paid in full from Geico. If I went with 500 deductible, it would have been close to 2k premium

There is so much information you're omitting. What are your coverage amounts? Deductible? Location being city or town?

I live in Boston with all of the standard coverage limits here which you can find online and have a 1 k deductible for a 1600 premium every year paid in full from Geico. If I went with 500 deductible, it would have been close to 2k premium

Agreed. Several years ago after I had purchased a home, I kept hearing from friend's whose homeowner's insurance was considerably cheaper. It all turned out to be apples and oranges once I began to compare their coverage to mine. In general, I was considerably more heavily insured in my policy (my choice) than any of them were. Once I began getting quotes from their agents, the numbers were all very close. Heck, USAA (who we have) decided to raise the deductible for roof damage from hail one year to 2% (of the home's value) instead of 1%. On a $500K house, that's a whopping $10K deductible for a roof - ouch! A year later they offered a provision to buy back down to 1% (which I gladly took). None of this was heavily advertised. I can't help but think there are a whole bunch of folks who are sitting (unbeknownst to them) with that 2% deductible, and here in Texas, it isn't a matter of "WiLL a hailstorm take out my roof?" but "WHEN will a hail storm take out my roof". In short, it pays to cross-shop at a detailed level!

Reactions: Tezzie
I had Allstate for my car '06 Grand Prix and homeowners. I called to get a quote for the Model 3, she first told me that they didn't insure Tesla's. She told me she'd call corporate and verify. When she called back she that they do insure Tesla vehicles now and the quote they came back with was around $1150 for six months, I had given her the VIN for the quote as well, so it wasn't just an estimate. I live in a low crime/higher cost town near Albany NY. That was with a $500 deductible, 100K/300K comp, dropping the deductible to $1000 it was still over $1K per six months. Geico and Progressive were about the same with their quotes being around $450/6 months, but the Progressive quote was with better coverage. When I called to cancel my Allstate after I traded the GP in they wanted to do another quote to see if they could get me a better rate, I have yet to hear back, but told her if they could match Progressive I would consider coming back.

I had AAA with 250/500 bodily, 100 property, 100 uninsured, 250 comprehensive, 500 liability, no rental, 7 mile tow range. I was paying $1800/year for my 2014 Honda Accord, which increased about $300 over past few years. I was quoted $4800 a year for the M3 to swap cars (not add on) :eek:

Suffice to say I dropped them fast. Since I have a Costco exec membership, I switched to Ameriprise and got the same coverage but 10x the tow range and $30/day rental coverage for about $1450 a year.

Obviously, insurance costs vary wildly depending on who you are, where you live, how you drive, and claim history. I live in rural Colorado, have 1 ticket in 20 years (not in the Tesla), and have never been in an at-fault crash.

I just got my renewal notice from State Farm. In 2016, it was $589/6 months. It goes up a bit each semester, and the latest is for $643. They show that's discounted by something like $343 due to "multi-line discounts" for having other policies with them. The liability is set low since I have an umbrella liability policy, but otherwise it's pretty full coverage, including $0 deductible for glass. Which is a good thing since I just turned in a claim for a broken windshield, and the Tesla SC charged me $996.25 for that.

So take that for what it's worth, but yeah: if you think you're getting hosed, it will likely pay well to shop around.

I have four policies with Allstate - Home, Auto, Life, and Umbrella. I was paying $112/month on my Acura. My first quote on the Model 3 was $400/month. I told my agent he can either come back with a better quote or I’m moving all my business to a different company. 10 minutes later he gave me a quote of $190/month - still too high but much more reasonable. I’ll still be shopping around for a lower quote.