Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I getting the High-efficiency Drive unit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

what I have: 2013 Model S 85
Issue: My car produces a high pitch whine noise from the drive unit. it gets louder as speed increases.
Tesla service center: As I showed up for my Tesla appt. this morning, I told them about the noise and service advisor sat in the back seat of my car. After driving for one block at max speed @ 45 MPH, he told me to go back to the service center. Shortest diagnostics ever! LOL.
8 years DU & battery Warranty: Immediately after the test drive, Tesla sales rep. informed me that Tesla will replace my DU at no cost.
Question: Will Tesla replace my DU with newer more efficient DU as stated in this article?

Tesla shows off Model S & X's high-efficiency drive units, adaptive suspension UI

I will ask them when I pick up the car tomorrow but just want to hear your thought..

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
Most likely you will get a refurbished version of your exact drive unit. Same with the battery packs as it's usually just a single part or two that are known to fail that get replaced the rectify the unit and get it back functional again.

From what a tech told me, the upgrade path to the newer permanent fixed magnet drive units isn't an easy one. It will be a long ways down the road when they no longer have refurbished drive units (yours will get refurbished for the next failure most likely) where they start taking on the added steps to upgrade customer cars under warranty.

No, because the high-efficiency drive unit is the front one (using the PMSR motor from Model 3). Your '13 85 only has a rear drive unit, and that isn't what is being talked about in the article you referenced. That said, the rear drive unit has had small changes made to it over the years, so you might get something better than you had before, but the efficiency will be the same.

I've had my MS for coming up on a year, has made a high pitch sound at highway speeds, depending on torque applied (get off the throttle, sound goes away). Not real loud, but there. Is this a sign of drive failure? Seems to be coming from the front of the car. If so will it likely get worse? Should I be contacting service?

I took my car in for a TPMS problem, they asked if there was anything else I needed them to take a look at, I mentioned there was a whirring/whistling noise from the DU, especially at certain speeds. Later that day they called me to let me know they'd be replacing the DU under warranty. Now the car is whisper quiet, and I've noted an increase in efficiency. I know the car is supposed to be super quiet, but I kinda miss it sounding like a spaceship.... LOL. But, glad it was replaced under warranty. I'd hate to think of what that would cost out of warranty!

Reactions: Greenms60