Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I going to regret leaving off the air suspension option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 85D without it, and recently drove a P85+ loaner with it. The loaner has 21s, whereas my 85D has 19s. Can't tell a difference in terms of ride quality between the two. Also, I've never owned a car with adjustable air suspension, so I certainly don't miss not having it. Also seems like it's just another thing to think about when operating/driving the car. No thanks. Personally don't think you'll miss it.

No. I highly doubt it. I have the standard suspension and it's great. I had an air suspension on a Cayenne Turbo and, while it was cool, didn't really add all that much to the driving experience IMHO.

That said, my other cars have been a 911 TT and now a R8 spyder and I tend to prefer a more taut suspension and driving dynamics.

I have it because coils were not available when I ordered in 2012. I've driven loaners with coils and almost feel like I prefer the coil ride over the air suspension ride. You do lose the ability to adjust the car's height, but honestly, how often has that been an impediment to you in the past?

I would definetly stay away from air unless you make regular trips to HD to pick up (25) 50# bags of Sacrete or have an awful driveway to contend with and it will eat tires in "low" as the alignment changes from setting to setting, and it sits .5 - .55" lower in "standard" than coils. Coils give a more "connected" road feel IMO. (i soo wish it wasn't required for a jan '13 delivery)

edit: The ride height stated above only applies to the RWD classics. Both the coil and air (in standard) AWD cars are now within a couple of mm of each other.

Last edited:
I have the air suspension on my 85P, and have had no issues. I appreciate like the fact it lowers itself at highway speeds for better efficiency. I also use the adjustable height to deal with high snow, curbs, or at a drive through window since the car sits pretty low in standard. You don't miss what you've never had so I'm sure I'd have been fine without it, but I'm glad I did get it.

I live in a town with a very bad roads and tons of road construction, so I use it all the time. I also need it for the unpaved driveway at our weekend place. I could probably live without it though. FWIW, it's the feature that most impresses other people about my car, especially the fact that it remembers to raise the car based on location.

I would definetly stay away from air unless you make regular trips to HD to pick up (25) 50# bags of Sacrete or have an awful driveway to contend with and it will eat tires in "low" as the alignment changes from setting to setting, and it sits .5 - .55" lower in "standard" than coils. Coils give a more "connected" road feel IMO. (i soo wish it wasn't required for a jan '13 delivery)

Once they got the alignment right--took them a few tries--it stopped eating tires. That is the tires lasted as long as the tire site said. I have mine set to change to low at 50 mph.

Coils do have a better road feel at the expense of a bit more body roll.

Air gives you a bit more confidence over rough roads or when going over a curb to get out of a traffic snarl--and that really bad driveway.

My son says there is a difinite stiffer ride when sitting in the back of a loaner with springs. Twice I had to drive on dirt roads and raised the suspension to the max. I also am able to adjust the height making it easier for the in-law to get in and out. I've also had to raise the car when going in and out of a couple of steep drives.

Coil owner here - I don't regret it at all. I love gadgets, and think I'd enjoy playing with it sometimes, but that's it. The coil suspension is terrific.

- - - Updated - - -

My son says there is a difinite stiffer ride when sitting in the back of a loaner with springs. Twice I had to drive on dirt roads and raised the suspension to the max. I also am able to adjust the height making it easier for the in-law to get in and out. I've also had to raise the car when going in and out of a couple of steep drives.

Unless you're driving two identical cars back to back I wouldn't trust the subjective rear-end test with respect to stiffness. Just my two cents, but I think they're actually pretty similar. I did two test drives in the same day, one air and one coil and didn't notice until he told me the 2nd car had air and I should try adjusting it.

With respect to ground clearance, it adds 1.3" to the normal height under 10 mph. That could help going over a curb, or driving really slowly off road I guess, but 1 inch isn't turning this into an off-roader :)

And again, it's only an inch to help getting in or out easier, that's not super substantial IMO.

I would say NO, it is not economically feasible to upgrade post delivery. Beside ride comfort and efficiency what you need to consider is road condition and driveway slope. If your driveway or places you visit has a steep slope, keep in mind that the break-over angle of MS is only 11 degrees. In those condition, air suspension will come to the rescue.

I would say NO, it is not economically feasible to upgrade post delivery. Beside ride comfort and efficiency what you need to consider is road condition and driveway slope. If your driveway or places you visit has a steep slope, keep in mind that the break-over angle of MS is only 11 degrees. In those condition, air suspension will come to the rescue.
True, but as in every other car, so will taking it at an angle so one wheel hits the curb before the other.

Thanks so much for all the feedback everyone. Now I can sleep tonight. :)
I have coils. Finally got a P85+ loaner the other day which I think was the first car I've driven with air since buying mine. The ride was less harsh despite the more sport tuned "+" suspension... I liked it better, but honestly can't tell you if I liked the "+" part of the ride or the air better... I'd lean more towards the + than the air... Having said that it was kinda cool to drop to low on the interstate because it feels a little tighter low like that... and the car felt less "harsh" over speed bumps, for example... but overall prob not worth the money or the risk of breakage... esp after 50k miles ;-)