Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I going to regret leaving off the air suspension option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt you plan to be in a flash flood anytime soon. We had phenomenal rain in the Dallas area in the late spring/early summer. I was waiting for my daughter at Love Field, our in town airport. The rain was so heavy the airport had to be closed and all the flights re-routed to other cities.

The police and fire department closed the entrance/exit to the airport so several hundred of us could not leave the airport.

I was able to use my GPS to find the back road out of the airport. I raised my suspension to very high and drove slowly home. I saw several small cars floating down the same road I successfully navigated to get out of the flooded area around the airport.

I do not believe I would have been able to get above the water without the electronic suspension. I was glad I had it that evening. I hope that helps you decide.

That's not true. I park my P85D next to a an S85 with the same 19" wheels but with coils weekly. The standard height on the air is within a mm of the one with coils.

I have SAS Sig and coil P85D, at home. I also had a '14MS coil. Coil is higher than standard. If you surf ads for coil cars, you can almost see it. My measures for SAS Standard, from tires to wheel well arch, RF 1 11/16, LF 1 10/16, RR 1 11/16, LR 1 7/16 inches. The coil front of some P85 and, I think, all S85 is closer to 2 3/8, front and back. The coil P85D was 2 3/8 back, 1 5/8 front, when I got it. SAS High was 2 1/4 front/back.

I think it's very incremental, between 2012 SAS and 2015 (most likely late) "D" coil. Where I notice the difference is in turn-in, which I believe amounts to the new upper link ball-joints (perhaps not a bad ~$450 upgrade/pr, ~$900 all, to get rid of that rubber). Both cars on conti/21's. Roll, with such a low cg is minimal in the first place, but I like to feel the sides load up, so I have an idea how hard I'm pushing the car. Just because a SAS car might stay flatter, and more confidence inspiring, does not ultimately mean the excitement is any further away.

It would be great if people lobbied Bilstien, for aftermarket shock solutions for Model S ( 1-858-386-5900 ). Lola has had some success separating the damper from the air spring, and there is no reason Bilstein won't supply options as numbers grow. Another benefit of those calls is that Bilstein can cut snap-ring groves, for the coil people, so long as they develop an aftermarket shock. They won't do the OE shocks. Don't even try.

Tesla says the coils have a ground clearance of 5.65" and air varies from 4.7" to 6.4". I believe "Normal" is 5.3" and High is 5.8". The coils kinda split the difference between the Air's Normal and High. My point is the difference of less than 1" between coils and Air on Low is likely not going to make any measurable difference in energy consumption. When Auto Lowering was temporarily disabled after the fires, there was a lot of discussion around whether the difference between Low and Standard (a bit over a half an inch) was making any difference and no one could prove it was.

Right so that's just even more support for the improved MPE with air as even the air's standard height(in at least some cases) is lower than the coils lower height. The lower you can make the car the better the wh /miles.

So that's almost a full inch lower on air's low vs coil.

Right so that's just even more support for the improved MPE with air as even the air's standard height(in at least some cases) is lower than the coils lower height. The lower you can make the car the better the wh /miles.

But my point is no one's been able to definitively prove it. Just because it "seems like it should" doesn't mean it does.

But my point is no one's been able to definitively prove it. Just because it "seems like it should" doesn't mean it does.

I've proven it over and over again by driving the same stretch of road under the same conditions at both standard and lowest height. I consistently get about 20 wh / mile better on the lowest setting vs the standard setting at 70 MPH.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops. Error. That's between the highest and the lowest setting. It's only about 6 - 7 wh / mile difference between standard and lowest.

I've proven it over and over again by driving the same stretch of road under the same conditions at both standard and lowest height. I consistently get about 20 wh / mile better on the lowest setting vs the standard setting at 70 MPH.

For me, absolutely no discernible difference. I have a 90 mile, mostly freeway, round trip commute, and so have lots of data points to look at. This was hotly debated back when auto lowering was temporarily disabled. Some also felt the car handled completely different, which I won't argue, although I sure couldn't feel it, but I am not a particularly aggressive driver to begin with.

For me, absolutely no discernible difference. I have a 90 mile, mostly freeway, round trip commute, and so have lots of data points to look at. This was hotly debated back when auto lowering was temporarily disabled. Some also felt the car handled completely different, which I won't argue, although I sure couldn't feel it, but I am not a particularly aggressive driver to begin with.

I wonder if there are other factors at play like camber. More negative camber can hide toe being out and lowering the car will increase camber. Yea, there is most certainly a difference in my case. In fact, for a while, I didn't have the auto lowering feature set below 100 MPH and often I'd be driving that same stretch carefully watching the 5 minute meter and would think it's as low as it should be. Then I'd remember and lower the suspension and see an immediate drop. Not huge, but enough to see it right on the graph. Now I have that setting setting to something like 55 MPH.

I had the pleasure of driving a loaner car with the air suspension all day today, and so literally did an A-B test twice in a row in the same day. (Coil for an hour, then air all day, then right back to coil on the drive home) The air was definitely a touch softer, floatier, etc. But I like the coil better. I felt more confident in corners with it. Not that I corner at speed often. But it felt more connected. I didn't dislike the air at all, and if I had it I'd be just fine with it. But I prefer the coils after my time today.

I had the pleasure of driving a loaner car with the air suspension all day today, and so literally did an A-B test twice in a row in the same day. (Coil for an hour, then air all day, then right back to coil on the drive home) The air was definitely a touch softer, floatier, etc.

My experience has been the opposite. Maybe it's my car. When mine was delivered, air was standard and coils weren't even available yet. I've driven several loaners with coils back to back with my own car and to me, the air seems "harsher" over bumps and roadway imperfections. I have to say I prefer the feel of the coils to my air suspension, but do like the ability of modifying the height and the fact that it adjusts for loads in the car.

I've had both coils and air suspension. What I found with my old S85 (coils) was after about 10k miles, the coils loosen a bit and it felt more like the air suspension over the bumps. The only real difference was when cornering. With the coils, you will feel the body roll more, at least on the S85 RWD version you do. My P85D has air suspension and along with the sport tuned suspension, body roll is more or less eliminated. The best combination is probably coils with NextGen seats to minimize the body roll effect. Looking ahead to eventual resale, it seems the SAS is a popular option for buyers of used Model S's.

My 2013 P85 (CPO) has air suspension and 21" wheels. It was an option that I wouldn't have paid for on a new car, but happy to have on ours. Now that we have it, I like being able to raise the car for the steep driveways in our lives, as well as when I wash the car. We also have a few gravel roads around that its good to set the car up high on. I'll also use it in the winter with side roads or driveways with deeper snow.

I just drove a 2014 S85 loaner with coils and 21" wheels. I drove my car about 390 miles, and the loaner about 410 miles on the same roads. They seemed to ride very similar. Road noise, firmness, body roll, etc. Aside from the slight motor noise (the S85 loaner was a touch more noticable), I think I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two. My car felt a bit taughter, more planted around the curves, but I don't know if that's specifically the air suspension, or the fact that its a P (or both). The route I drove was interstate and highway mountain passes along with city driving, everything from really rough, worn pavement to 50 miles of perfect, brand new asphalt (man these Model Ss are so quiet on new asphalt!).

I'm concerned about the long term reliability of the air suspension, so I'm going to be very proactive about maintaining it. I'm not exactly sure what that means yet, but I intend to learn as much as I can about the system so I can care for it and keep it in perfect shape as long as possible. So far, no problems, and being able to raise the car up a few inches has proven itself very handy. And parking it in a visible place in its lowest setting looks really cool too.

I can't imagine a first time Tesla buyer having "regret" over leaving off SAS. First, because it won't be in the menus and it won't be part of your driving experience; you simply won't think about it. Second, because coils have a lot of benefits of their own:

1) They're cheaper.
2) They're more reliable.
3) They ride higher by default. The means unless you remember to raise your car at every raised surface, you are MORE likely to scrape the bottom with SAS than with coils.
4) They reduce cognitive load. SAS is one more decision to make while driving in changing conditions. I prefer the simplicity of coils.

I tried air and coils and did not find either more comfortable than the other. I also asked for specs and was told that coils sit less than an inch below the "high" setting on SAS -- so you're really not getting any substantive clearance benefit. And if lowering is what you're after, the titanium shield is flat and smooth, mooting the aerodynamic benefits that are typically seen on ICE cars. At a theoretical level there is benefit in a lower CoG but the S already has such a low CoG that I could not justify all that cost, complexity and reliability for such a small improvement to something that already feels perfect to me.

Contrary to how this might sound, I would not talk someone out of SAS if they really want it. It's fun and in some situations it can be functional. But it's absolutely not a make or break feature, and I don't believe your enjoyment of the car will suffer for a lack of it.

today I was lucky enough to complete a driveway test drive with a p85d +air suspension. while the air did a fantastic job of dealing with my garbage incline driveway, it looked silly in the high mode. this will be my deciding factor in air v coil. the coil... might be ok with my driveway but will be in a high setting all the time.

I have a lowered race car miata that scrapes everytime I pull it out if my driveway. I absolutely love the airs ability to negotiate crap conditions and then return to super sleek low riding areo mode.

I looked thru about half of the 6 pages of responses so far to see if anyone who lives in snowier parts of the country responded here... I didn't see it or missed it... I took possession of my 85D with Air at the end of June, but living thru many snowy winters here in the northeast - especially last winter - has taught me the value of SUV level of clearance to get thru unplowed streets - hell, to get out of my driveway after the plows have gone by and created a berm. Like others, I appreciate not scratching the front bottom on high parking curbs, and the fact that the car remembers to raise up based on location after asking it to raise up once. Finally, my garage has a unique issue with a foundation lip along the right side of the car that limits the passenger door from opening for comfortable entry/exit by 1-1/2 inches if the car is is in standard. By raising it up the extra 2", I can get the door over the lip. Definitely glad i got the air suspension.

I've ordered the SAS, but now I'm thinking about "trading" that with the 90D extra range. I know I'll have to pay the extra $500 to make the change +$3k for 90D, so I'll be out a grand.

Then again, the SAS is one of the coolest features on the car IMHO. I've got too many months to think about it <sigh>