TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Am I going to regret the aero wheels?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by sbtz, Jul 10, 2018.

1. sbtz

sbtz Member

I suppose it's all subjective anyway, but I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm going to regret going with the 18" aero wheels instead of the 19" upgraded wheels on my AWD. I've had a tinge of regret from not upgrading the wheels on my P90D, but that faded over time. Part of my reasoning for sticking with the aeros is that (a) I have the option for better mileage and (b) though smaller, they seem to actually be a nice looking grayish wheel underneath (to go with my MSM ordered car).

I still have my edit button, so I'm tempted every day to switch. I'm trying to keep the cost down though.

Has anyone regretted not getting the upgraded wheels? Why?

2. phigment

phigment Member

Don't know if this will help, but I ordered the aero wheels and the lug nut covers with the plan to use the bare alloys in city and use the aero covers on road trips. I figured that I would often forget to put on the aero caps, but would live with the efficiency hit.

Anyways, the point of this story is that now that I put on the lug covers and centre cap, I'm feeling that I miss the aero covers and will likely put them back on. Aside from the better efficiency, they are something that is unique to the Model 3. I don't see the sport (or aero base alloys) and something that is differentiated from other rims. Also, the aero look has really grown on me.

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I prefer 18” to 19” for durability. Too easy for a pothole to take out a low profile tire.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  4. gambit48

gambit48 Member

Not the hugest fan of the 19" option.

So far, the wheels under the aero cap look good enough. I can then take that $1500 saved and get better looking aftermarket wheels if I feel like it. You have to go to 20" and/or aftermarket lowering springs to eliminate the fender gap anyways. And I don't want to go that high for ride comfort and replacement cost reasons.

5. Terthen

Terthen Member

In person I actually don’t mind the aero wheels at all.. I was planning to take them off my black 3, but left them on. I think you did alright keeping them.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. jordonez

jordonez New Member

3500 miles and I’m getting Nissan Leaf like efficiency with my Aeros on! Have the lug nut kit but yet to replace. As mentioned above they are growing on me but they dont look good on every color IMO but like mine!

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
  7. kev1n

kev1n Member

you can easily swap the wheels, you can always buy them later on down the line if you really want them

• Like x 1
  8. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

I planned on taking off the aero caps as soon as I got my white Model 3 home.

I've now had the car for almost 2 months, aeros are still on. They look MUCH better in person than in pictures, IMO. I think they look great, especially with the Pearl White.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  9. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

I waffled back and forth on aeros to the point of actually changing my order from aero to sport then back. Also ordered the caps in case I wanted to take off the aero covers and just use the wheel underneath.

But now that I have them I really like the look (and the extra range/efficiency). But as you say, it’s subjective — go with your gut.

10. Thunder7ga

Thunder7ga Member

I passed on the 19" wheels after much debate. I liked the look under the Aero so that made my decision easy. Gives me 2 options for wheels with the 18" vs the one with the 19"s....so in the future I can always get new rims and not feel like I shouldn't as I spent more to get the 19"s already.

11. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

In a similar boat. I ordered the deep blue metallic with the 19". Thought about it, decided I could save the money and use it to buy something "better" after market, would get better range with the Aeros (and could always take them off etc) so an hour later, went back in and switched to the Aeros. Kept looking at a ton of pictures on line, and then saw a few on the street with the aero covers and I have to say, I just don't like the look (my personal view). I went back in and switched back to the 19" and I just "feel" better about it. I need winters anyways for here in Toronto, so I can either get the 18" with Aeros for my winter set, or just get something else, but based on the pictures I have seen, the "bright" look of the 19" just looks better (to me).

Mistake ordering 19” wheels?

12. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

What would it cost to powder coat the 18” wheels? I too prefer the bright wheels, but think I’ll still stick with the 18”. Like to know the options.

• Like x 1
  13. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

My $.02 - black and the grey both look pretty good with the Aero wheels. (I may yet switch back to the Aero - but for now I am holding out with the 19)

14. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Save the Aero wheels for any lengthy road trips. Go and get yourself some nice aftermarket 19s for the rest of the time. :)

15. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I normally don't care for silver cars but I ordered a silver Model 3 because I like the way the aeros (with and without covers) look with the silver.

• Like x 3
  16. GregRF

GregRF Squirrel Power

No regrets. Lots of options to get the 18's looking the way you might like. Did a photo shoot over the weekend.

Plus there are after market options roughly the same price as the upgrade to get your personal preference.

17. Drivesolo

Drivesolo Member

sbtz, I opted not to get the 19's thinking that I might be able to live with the 18's. At the time I found the aero caps to be pretty ugly and the 18's just slightly better than ugly. I figure I would give it some time to see if it would grow on me. After the first month; NOPE, still ugly. I ended up going with a new set of aftermarket 19's wheels and tires.

18. MacGreiner

No regrets. Great ride. Use my areos for trips and then the open wheel kit for normal use. Amazing flexibility.

• Helpful x 1
  19. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

I assume you have to pull out the Center cap and lug nut covers to put the aero covers back on? Is that a pain?

I was thinking that in the winter when efficiency is down and I could really benefit from any added range I could get, the winter set with the aero covers from Tesla could be a good option. Since I really like the 19” look (even though they have all season tires) that could be my “non winter” set up when the added range / efficiency benefit of the aeros may be less important.

20. PJFW8

PJFW8 Red Menace may hurt me

I felt the same way. After receiving my car I have had many compliments about the aero wheels. I’ve grown to like them and now prefer them over the 18 inch alloy

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1