Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I going to regret the aero wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then you must not have grown up in the 70s. LOL.

Cragar's

d62287a9e99f8d30170a274762670e64--s-style-auto-accessories.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I suppose it's all subjective anyway, but I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm going to regret going with the 18" aero wheels instead of the 19" upgraded wheels on my AWD. I've had a tinge of regret from not upgrading the wheels on my P90D, but that faded over time. Part of my reasoning for sticking with the aeros is that (a) I have the option for better mileage and (b) though smaller, they seem to actually be a nice looking grayish wheel underneath (to go with my MSM ordered car).

I still have my edit button, so I'm tempted every day to switch. I'm trying to keep the cost down though.

Has anyone regretted not getting the upgraded wheels? Why?
I never hesitated between 18" and 19" for the same reasons: softer ride, better mileage, cheaper to replace. I initially thought I would replace the Aero caps with the non-cap kit for $50. Having picked up the car in MSM and driven it for two weeks, I have no regrets and no more thoughts of removing the hup caps. It just works.

Since I run separate winter and summer wheels/tires, I ordered my vehicle with the 19" wheels and will buy a set of 18" wheels with winter tires afterwards.

Since both sets come with crappy all seasons, wouldn't it have made more sense to order the 18s (free) and put the $1500 toward a second set you really liked and dedicated summer tires? (unless you really loved the 19 rims $1500 worth I guess)

Since both sets come with crappy all seasons, wouldn't it have made more sense to order the 18s (free) and put the $1500 toward a second set you really liked and dedicated summer tires? (unless you really loved the 19 rims $1500 worth I guess)

Good question.

I have had bad experiences with aftermarket wheels in the past with regards to them getting bent, cracked etc. So I have decided to stick with factory wheels unless I decide to shell out for BBS or something of similar quality, which just isn't in my budget for now.

Regarding ordering the 19s instead of the 18s, it was mostly a convenience thing, to be honest. If I ordered the 18" wheels, I would have to swap out the all-seasons for winter tires right away and then go through the trouble of finding a buyer for the all-seasons. However, I can grin and bear it with the all-seasons on the 19s during the summer months and eventually replace with dedicated summer tires.

I suppose it's all subjective anyway, but I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm going to regret going with the 18" aero wheels instead of the 19" upgraded wheels on my AWD. I've had a tinge of regret from not upgrading the wheels on my P90D, but that faded over time. Part of my reasoning for sticking with the aeros is that (a) I have the option for better mileage and (b) though smaller, they seem to actually be a nice looking grayish wheel underneath (to go with my MSM ordered car).

I still have my edit button, so I'm tempted every day to switch. I'm trying to keep the cost down though.

Has anyone regretted not getting the upgraded wheels? Why?
To my eyes, the aero wheels match the car better than the 19s. They look so futuristic.
Plus you can pull the covers off if you want a traditional look.
Plus plus, they increase the range.
I'll definitely get them when model 3 is finally available in Australia.

A guy on facebook with a silver car painted his aero's silver and they looked great that way. I'm getting a white car and am planning on doing a bright aluminum plasti dip to the aero covers. I think car wheels are supposed to be silver and the dark wheel trend is played out by now.

Like some other have said, I was really not liking the "look" of the Aero's in the pics that I had seen. So, in prep for getting the car I ordered the kit to be able to take them off. Yesterday, I got the car and I have to say, they look pretty damn good on my color (Silver). So as of this moment, they are still on. This weekend, I may take them off and put on the kit, just to compare first hand which ones I really want to roll with.

Reactions: forkee
I started with 18s on my order just because of the price. then I started watching/reading reviews about how much better the car performs with the 19s on, likely just because the tires are better. Rather than buy a new car and then try to immediate replace the rubber, I just figured I'd put the better tires on them from the beginning. I also don't care for the look of the aero covers, but I think without them, the 18s actually look a bit nicer than the 19s. But for me, the decision was purely performance-based.

If your concern was performance you'll get much better performance getting the aeros and paying $900-1000 to put PS 4S performance tires on them than you will paying $1500 to get the 19s with mediocre all seasons (which is what they come with)

Plus you can probably find someone to buy the basically-new 18" all seasons to make it even cheaper.

Yeah, in reading this thread, I'm starting to think I may go that route. I'd hate to change my config and possibly be pushed back in the queue... Even if I ride on the stock 18s for a year, I can get good tires later for less than $1500