Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I in the wrong or overthinking things?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay gather around the campfire boys. I have a story I am not sure how to cope or even react to. I bought a refreshed Model X after preordering for it back in December 2020. The delivery got pushed until I received it in the middle of January 2022. Fun times right? After receiving the vehicle, we were too excited to look carefully at the vehicle on delivery, but over the course of the day, we noticed a lot of defects in the car. There were nicks on the front glass, rattling sound in the trunk, dent on top of the trunk, blue tape still under the exterior detailing, improperly sealed rubbering on the passenger door, and weird excessive rubber sealant seen from the casing of the tail light. You would think that if the car is going to cost over 100k, at least it would be delivery worthy for client pick up, right? It gets even better though. I ride the vehicle for three weeks before having it checked into the shop. It has been literally almost a month, and I *sugar* you not, the car was sitting in the parking lot or something and it was not ready for pick up when I came in. The Tesla service representative said that the adjustments were all made, and he picked up the car to show me. On arrival, the car still had the blue taping under the detailing, the car looked dusty as hell like it was never touched. The front glass was never replaced. I do see that they did fix the dent on the trunk, but I saw another weird surprise. Even though I ordered a long distant refresh model X, the trunk badge that I had now shown an incomplete PLAID design on the bottom right corner. I was pretty pissed at this point, but I kept my cool because it was obvious to both the representative and me that we were looking at a ****ing incomplete car. The best part was, the foreman came later to tell me that they couldn't replace the front glass of the car because they couldn't see the nicks on the windshield. Mind you, at this point, the front glass is dusty as hell, which of course it is not possible to see, so they had to wipe away with cleaner. Lo and behold, the nicks were obviously thereafter wiping the windshield down, and I was just standing there not saying anything. The foreman goes, now we can see where the damages are on the windshield so that they can do something about it now. Mind you, this is them talking to me on pick-up day that they told me to come for. Also, they have been saying so many excuses for something they could have easily have identified by themselves without me there. They just flat out never checked and were just lying to my face. Clearly, the customer service at this point is just *sugar* at this point. I would most definitely be giving it less than a 0/10 at this point because lying your way out of mistakes that were too obvious was just disgusting.

Here is another fun little side story. I have text message confirmation through the Tesla App that the car was getting its windshield replaced on a previous specific day. Why would the representative have to even lie about getting the windshield replaced and me going there to see that it was not even touched? I can't be that stupid to notice all the collected dust on the whole entire car. And remember, this was supposed to be a brand new car on delivery that was over 100k. I have been given the ring around and I have the Tesla messaging history to show it, but holy hell man. Tesla just needs to get this right. What do I even ask at this point? Has anybody dealt with this before?

Reactions: Dcam
Just my 2 cents - I don't think you're in the wrong. As an owner of other Tesla's, I've just been conditioned to lower my expectations. The Tesla SC in Plano, TX are super nice and hear me out, but I'd say half of my issues remain unresolved. Granted, these issues are all cosmetic (except for my MYLR with a very loud AC compressor) but I always set up an early appt where their techs are able to join me in the car.

Sorry to hear about your troubles - while it is a $100k+ car, Tesla I don't think sees it that way as they just see it as "a car". Tesla may likely face serious service scalability issues (i.e. they will sell over 1m new cars this year and are not ramping up their service teams as quickly) so I anticipate this will only get worse. But in terms of escalation, I've read (I've never done it) reach out to your local Tesla gallery/store/SA as they may be able to help if the issues remain unresolved.

To my earlier point on lowering my expectations, I have just learned to ignore the minor body issues and just drive/enjoy the vehicle. Doesn't make it right, but I sweat over bigger things =)

welcome to owning a Tesla. i had the same thing happen when i picked up the car, though it was clean. had a paint blemish on the front bumper that required full bumper replacement, the dash trim was not seated properly, there was a paint chip in the rear hatch, the leather rear seat cover was not secured properly, the lower trim on the right side doors was put on crooked, the left and right front fender plastic wheel well trim tabs were broken where they secure to the main cabin body and i was missing a valve stem cap. Since then, i had to have the front door seals replaced as they deformed and caused wind noise, had it completely die in the garage after a S/W update requiring tow to the dealership, my right mirror had to be replaced because it became loose and was wobbling, and right now, i have to schedule them to fix the acceleration shudder issue and my driver side window screeches in the morning sometimes when lowered. I am putting off because i just don't want to deal with the hassle right now. all that said, i do like the car and the tech. just realize that Tesla DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU AS A CUSTOMER as folks are lining up and paying more and more each day for their product. as soon as you manage your expectations and shelve the "i paid 100k for a car, i should have a different experience" way of thinking, you can actually enjoy your ride.

I was in contact with the manager and the representative. I have stated my reasons for the poor customer service. I think what gets me the most is the deliberate lying through the Tesla messaging app. There were parts where the Tesla representative said that the windshield has been replaced or the car has been making great progress when in reality it was not. Over the next few weeks, I will update you with the changes they plan to implement.

Okay gather around the campfire boys. I have a story I am not sure how to cope or even react to. I bought a refreshed Model X after preordering for it back in December 2020. The delivery got pushed until I received it in the middle of January 2022. Fun times right? After receiving the vehicle, we were too excited to look carefully at the vehicle on delivery, but over the course of the day, we noticed a lot of defects in the car. There were nicks on the front glass, rattling sound in the trunk, dent on top of the trunk, blue tape still under the exterior detailing, improperly sealed rubbering on the passenger door, and weird excessive rubber sealant seen from the casing of the tail light. You would think that if the car is going to cost over 100k, at least it would be delivery worthy for client pick up, right? It gets even better though. I ride the vehicle for three weeks before having it checked into the shop. It has been literally almost a month, and I *sugar* you not, the car was sitting in the parking lot or something and it was not ready for pick up when I came in. The Tesla service representative said that the adjustments were all made, and he picked up the car to show me. On arrival, the car still had the blue taping under the detailing, the car looked dusty as hell like it was never touched. The front glass was never replaced. I do see that they did fix the dent on the trunk, but I saw another weird surprise. Even though I ordered a long distant refresh model X, the trunk badge that I had now shown an incomplete PLAID design on the bottom right corner. I was pretty pissed at this point, but I kept my cool because it was obvious to both the representative and me that we were looking at a ****ing incomplete car. The best part was, the foreman came later to tell me that they couldn't replace the front glass of the car because they couldn't see the nicks on the windshield. Mind you, at this point, the front glass is dusty as hell, which of course it is not possible to see, so they had to wipe away with cleaner. Lo and behold, the nicks were obviously thereafter wiping the windshield down, and I was just standing there not saying anything. The foreman goes, now we can see where the damages are on the windshield so that they can do something about it now. Mind you, this is them talking to me on pick-up day that they told me to come for. Also, they have been saying so many excuses for something they could have easily have identified by themselves without me there. They just flat out never checked and were just lying to my face. Clearly, the customer service at this point is just *sugar* at this point. I would most definitely be giving it less than a 0/10 at this point because lying your way out of mistakes that were too obvious was just disgusting.

Here is another fun little side story. I have text message confirmation through the Tesla App that the car was getting its windshield replaced on a previous specific day. Why would the representative have to even lie about getting the windshield replaced and me going there to see that it was not even touched? I can't be that stupid to notice all the collected dust on the whole entire car. And remember, this was supposed to be a brand new car on delivery that was over 100k. I have been given the ring around and I have the Tesla messaging history to show it, but holy hell man. Tesla just needs to get this right. What do I even ask at this point? Has anybody dealt with this before?
Yes! It only gets worse as you let them work on it! Run, run fast and don’t look back!

Just my 2 cents - I don't think you're in the wrong. As an owner of other Tesla's, I've just been conditioned to lower my expectations. The Tesla SC in Plano, TX are super nice and hear me out, but I'd say half of my issues remain unresolved. Granted, these issues are all cosmetic (except for my MYLR with a very loud AC compressor) but I always set up an early appt where their techs are able to join me in the car.

Sorry to hear about your troubles - while it is a $100k+ car, Tesla I don't think sees it that way as they just see it as "a car". Tesla may likely face serious service scalability issues (i.e. they will sell over 1m new cars this year and are not ramping up their service teams as quickly) so I anticipate this will only get worse. But in terms of escalation, I've read (I've never done it) reach out to your local Tesla gallery/store/SA as they may be able to help if the issues remain unresolved.

To my earlier point on lowering my expectations, I have just learned to ignore the minor body issues and just drive/enjoy the vehicle. Doesn't make it right, but I sweat over bigger things =)
Don’t even bother, wait until the half shafts wear out and the car begins to shudder after a couple months! Dump it fast! Don’t look back!

You're not overthinking things. Tesla can't fixed their screwups. They're unskilled when it comes to building cars and fixing cars. They're all about numbers and not quality. They slap the cars together and in a rush. Their builds are rush jobs. Their service center technicians are inexperienced and unskilled and that's why you get a lot of excuses and not get things done. I'm a new MXP owner and so far my experience is nothing but terrible. Here's why they can't fix anything. Tesla Sending Untrained Employees to Fix Cars in Service Centers: Report

• Disagree
Reactions: Dcam and Gumball