Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I looking for a unicorn? Model Y with new suspension and USS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As per the title- I've spent a few hours looking around trying to get a model y, new or used, that has the new suspension and ultra sonic sensors. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist? Or should I not worry about the loss of the USS or the new suspension and get one?

to answer your question - yes, it is a unicorn, especially for new. Oct 22nd is when they stopped using ultrasonic sensors. anything you'd find new has been built more recent than that.

ultrasonic sensors may save your butt in terms of tight parking spot or squeezing in between tight areas, but your butt may be a more sore with the less comfortable suspension. haha.

no, but seriously, i think i would rather have ultrasonic sensors and just tell myself the the model Y is sportier and has a harsher ride.......

Reactions: fredzos
As per the title- I've spent a few hours looking around trying to get a model y, new or used, that has the new suspension and ultra sonic sensors. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist? Or should I not worry about the loss of the USS or the new suspension and get one?
I think you will have a very hard time finding this particular combination. It would probably be an inventory car (rejected by another buyer) produced at Fremont in October or an Austin car built between late August and mid October.

I found that combination in the Long Beach delivery center. There were two demo cars (white and black) that were 2023 MYPs that still had USS and matrix lights. The build date was 10/22 so there’s a good chance that they had the comfort suspension too. I tried to buy it was it wasn’t available for sale :( It was still assigned to be demo vehicles

I found that combination in the Long Beach delivery center. There were two demo cars (white and black) that were 2023 MYPs that still had USS and matrix lights. The build date was 10/22 so there’s a good chance that they had the comfort suspension too. I tried to buy it was it wasn’t available for sale :( It was still assigned to be demo vehicles
MYPs all have matrix and they have a much firmer suspension than MYLR even after the “comfort” update. Additionally the larger brakes limit wheel/tire choices for winter driving if you’re in a part of the country that gets snow.

Look for the mid Oct built 2022 or the very first 2023 (3rd week Oct). My car is an Oct 14th 2022 with USS and updated suspension. But on delivery day there were identical cars next to mine with 2023 VINs. Man I was tempted to reject the 2022 and get a 2023 but was at risk of having to wait too long and get a car without USS. However, none of those cars (delivery day was Oct 28th) had Matrix lights. My VIN was 5742XX. I think 2023 started at 58XXXX? Or was it 59XXXX?

I would also consider a used MYLR with the new suspension and cancel my existing order. Here in Arizona, private party used car sales are not taxed. In addition, the license fee almost doubled (additional $500 per year) as the state incentive expired on 1/1/2023.

I have read online that the USS sensors are disabled now on all cars, even older ones...
Not on mine and I have the most recent FW 2023.2.10 (just installed last night).
Radar is disabled on cars that have a radar unit (if on more recent software or FSD) but not USS.
Tesla said they had no plans to disable USS on cars with it. Why would they disable it if they don't even have Vision doing parking yet?

Reactions: CDrury
Not on mine and I have the most recent FW 2023.2.10 (just installed last night).
Radar is disabled on cars that have a radar unit (if on more recent software or FSD) but not USS.
Tesla said they had no plans to disable USS on cars with it. Why would they disable it if they don't even have Vision doing parking yet?
I was by someone that said they disconnected the USS and it still worked, then they covered cameras and it didnt and vice versa. Just an article but I could see Tesla doing that....I wish they would keep USS and radar enabled on cars that have it, especially for the front( be nice if it had a front camera which would nullify this)

I was by someone that said they disconnected the USS and it still worked, then they covered cameras and it didnt and vice versa. Just an article but I could see Tesla doing that....I wish they would keep USS and radar enabled on cars that have it, especially for the front( be nice if it had a front camera which would nullify this)
Ah so that someone believes that us with USS sensors are currently running on Vision? I guess that is possible as I'd have no way to tell.
Are we just the test mules and Tesla is waiting to see how many walls we hit before they release the update to the non-USS cars?
That seems far fetched but hey it's Tesla so never say never.
I have seen some recent reports of people having USS stop working when their PPF installer forgot to cut out the holes for the USS sensors. But that would go against what that other guy found in his testing.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Looks like I'm one lucky bastard. Got my 23 MYP with USS and comfort suspension. Learned this only recently 10/18 production date, Fremont build.
Yeah, you caught it during the very small window of a 2023 with USS. My LR was built 10/14 and is still a 2022 but with USS of course. When I picked mine up on 10/28 there were a bunch of 2023s there also and all still had USS. I was very close to rejecting my car just to try and get a 2023 with USS but thought it would probably take too long and I'd get a 2023 without USS.

Look for the mid Oct built 2022 or the very first 2023 (3rd week Oct). My car is an Oct 14th 2022 with USS and updated suspension. But on delivery day there were identical cars next to mine with 2023 VINs. Man I was tempted to reject the 2022 and get a 2023 but was at risk of having to wait too long and get a car without USS. However, none of those cars (delivery day was Oct 28th) had Matrix lights. My VIN was 5742XX. I think 2023 started at 58XXXX? Or was it 59XXXX?
You’d sell yours to OP right? Going rate for such a rare build should probably be like 70k after the TMC Friend discount.

Reactions: arbitrage000