Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I mad to take delivery without a charging point installed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Impossible!

:)

OP, try to limit non-driving losses. Don't put sentry mode on unless you really need it, and be careful about what apps you use. Ideally you want as much energy as possible going into the battery and was little loss during the day as you can get away with. FYI my charging losses are only 11% over a whole year. YMMV.
Noted!

Btw, what do you mean by 'charging losses'?

Not a downer at all, I appreciate the added perspective.
I suppose I'll just have to give it a go and see how it all pans out. I could always wake up an hour earlier on the odd day and head to a Supercharger if I need to!
you have 13 hours a day. so even on my predictions that is 80-90miles per night so you should be fine. if you do less at the weekend so can start Monday morning at 95% that will help. worst case you have to pop into the supercharger once every one to two weeks for a top-up.
Might want to lay off Sentry mode though.
Do you have a good condition accessible socket or will you be using an extension lead? if so might want to invest in a good waterproof box.

Reactions: adsheff
You’ll be absolutely fine. Some uncertainty at first is to be expected. Those concerns will soon vanish unless your driving habits are completely unsuitable for an ev, which by what you’ve said so far is not the case.

If you have space, suitable mains fuse etc. get a smart charger order in for ASAP, and tell them your car is arriving soon. Our DNO prioritised our charger approval when I told them we already had the car.

Enjoy the car!

OP I had the same situation as you I had a fair few weeks whilst waiting for my podpoint to be installed, I usually did 2-3 days then drop onto a supercharger to use my free miles to charge up, luckily the Leeds branch had recently opened up it's V3 chargers and it was on the route home (quick fly past a maccies for snackage whilst charging watching Netflix). Yes it was a bit of a pain waiting but in the end it allowed me time to play with the newness of the car and wind down before heading home

You lose some energy due resistance in the cable, heating the battery etc. Some folk quote 30% loss, but I'm only seeing 11% based on what the chargers tell me I put in the car and what the car tells me was put in the car.
You are talking about 2 different things.
11% is what you get from an individual AC charge comparing what the car says it has added to what the charger says it has added
30% is comparing what the car says it has used over a period of time compared to what the chargers have added.

The first is the pure charging loss. The second is the charging loss PLUS all other use/loss of energy while the car is not moving e.g. preheat, sentry, vampire drain, Netflix etc.

It's fine. Does about 3% per hour on 3 pin. Plug it in as soon as you're home and you'll get 12 hours / 36%. Just make sure you switch off sentry mode and don't keep checking on it via the app, switch off preconditioning and preheat and it will charge faster.

You are talking about 2 different things.
11% is what you get from an individual AC charge comparing what the car says it has added to what the charger says it has added
30% is comparing what the car says it has used over a period of time compared to what the chargers have added.

The first is the pure charging loss. The second is the charging loss PLUS all other use/loss of energy while the car is not moving e.g. preheat, sentry, vampire drain, Netflix etc.
That's a fair point, but the OP can't do anything about the 1st one, whereas he can limit the second one as mentioned in the posts above.

Not a downer at all, I appreciate the added perspective.
I suppose I'll just have to give it a go and see how it all pans out. I could always wake up an hour earlier on the odd day and head to a Supercharger if I need to!

One thing to note regarding supercharging - to protect the battery supercharging will be power-limited when the battery is cold (i.e. in the morning) which will extend your charging time.
You'll get a faster charge if the car and battery are warm after a journey - even more so if you've set the supercharger as a destination and it preconditions the battery for fast charging (at the expense of wasting some power warming things up) before you get there.

Reactions: Adopado
I definitely recommend giving Pod Point a call. My install from initial enquiry to fitment was three weeks (I’m based Wakefield and this was last month) and that was with me taking a few days to complete the survey. Hopefully you have a fairly simple install like mine, however I did have to lay some cable ducting underground to save them arranging separate contractors to do it and delaying the installation.

That's great to hear. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of price did you pay for that charge?

The below was my last charge at Rugby Services superchargers towards the end of September. Given the electricity market at the moment the kWh cost may have gone up a bit, but it hopefully gives you an idea of both time and cost. Data is from the excellent TeslaFi site, which you’ll see mentioned around here…

3778A3E1-84E1-47B2-B3FA-B7C3140A1C82.jpeg