Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I mad to take delivery without a charging point installed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking delivery of my M3LR on Saturday, and only submitted the paperwork to Pod Point for a 7KW wall charger yesterday - the car wasn't originally due until next March!

I haven't had any kind of response from them about potential install dates (understandably!), but do you think it's a bad idea to receive the car without a charging point? I do roughly 60 miles a day for work, and if we factor in some new-car-fun miles, I could see myself doing 80 miles a day.

Would a standard 3-pin charger be up to the job of keeping it topped up?

Apologies if this is a very basic question, but now the excitement of a new car has started to subside, I'm left with a load of doubt over the home charging point (i.e. what if it can't be installed, what if my home isn't compatible, etc.)

It depends if you have other available charging and how much you are prepared to spend time and/or cash wise to mitigate against the issue.

Say you are able to religiously charge 8 hours each night with the UMC (that assumes that your house electrics are up to it, not all are as ours were not initially), you are going to top up around 22/23% charge. This time of year depending on stop/starts and type of journey, that 22% charge could probably get you 50 or so miles. A bit less if lots of smaller journeys, a bit more if a couple of longer journeys and you temper the right foot.

So on 60 miles daily, you have 10mile or so deficit each day, at 80 daily miles its a 30 or so deficit, but you can always not use it for those 'new car fun miles'.

So you are going to need to find a place to charge where you can make up that 50/70 to 150/210 mile weekly deficit depending on how often you use the car. If you leave the car plugged in and charging at other times, I think that is doable eve at home unless you are out in it 7 days a week. Other alternatives are rapid chargers of some form, or even destination chargers.

Its not straight forward, but not impossible, but if there is a will to make it work then I think it is. But it may be a bit of an inconvenience at times and from someone who had no home charging for first 2-1/2 months, the fun of remotely charging in less than convenient locations soon wears off pretty fast. But do make sure you have a Plan B.

Say you are able to religiously charge 8 hours each night with the UMC (that assumes that your house electrics are up to it, not all are as ours were not initially), you are going to top up around 22/23% charge.

Maybe the OP can routinely charge for longer than 8hours ... 7pm until 7am is going to give 12hours so half as much again. Or Supercharging or other public chargers.

It depends if you have other available charging and how much you are prepared to spend time and/or cash wise to mitigate against the issue.

Say you are able to religiously charge 8 hours each night with the UMC (that assumes that your house electrics are up to it, not all are as ours were not initially), you are going to top up around 22/23% charge. This time of year depending on stop/starts and type of journey, that 22% charge could probably get you 50 or so miles. A bit less if lots of smaller journeys, a bit more if a couple of longer journeys and you temper the right foot.

So on 60 miles daily, you have 10mile or so deficit each day, at 80 daily miles its a 30 or so deficit, but you can always not use it for those 'new car fun miles'.

So you are going to need to find a place to charge where you can make up that 50/70 to 150/210 mile weekly deficit depending on how often you use the car. If you leave the car plugged in and charging at other times, I think that is doable eve at home unless you are out in it 7 days a week. Other alternatives are rapid chargers of some form, or even destination chargers.

Its not straight forward, but not impossible, but if there is a will to make it work then I think it is. But it may be a bit of an inconvenience at times and from someone who had no home charging for first 2-1/2 months, the fun of remotely charging in less than convenient locations soon wears off pretty fast. But do make sure you have a Plan B.
Thanks Vanilla. I think it'll be a bit tight relying solely on the home charger, and I guess at this time of year the expected range and charge can deviate downwards. Add into the mix one excited owner and ridiculous power, I think I could easily get a bit carried away with it.

I have a Tesla Supercharger quite near to where I work, but as you mention, sitting in a carpark every night after work, potentially having to wait for a space to become available, I can't say I'd be too enthusiastic about that after a while.

My plan is to put it on to charge as soon as I get in from work (about 5pm), and leave it until the following morning (6am), so that may well be enough to get me through the majority of my driving. But I have no doubt at some point I'll be heading to the Supercharger.

Thankfully, even at 35p kWh, it's still cheaper than running my current car. Here's hoping Pod point can squeeze me in before Christmas!

Realistically in this weather, you'll need to charge every 1.5 days on that mileage. 3-pin 2.4kW/h charging alone is only going to add 8-9 miles per hour, so no.
8mph from a UMC would equate to 287.5wh/m and that is assuming no Preheating etc. At this time of year dependant on average journey length I would say that is way to optimistic. 6-7mph would be more realistic taking into account non driving losses.
still doable on a UMC though

Thanks Vanilla. I think it'll be a bit tight relying solely on the home charger, and I guess at this time of year the expected range and charge can deviate downwards. Add into the mix one excited owner and ridiculous power, I think I could easily get a bit carried away with it.

I have a Tesla Supercharger quite near to where I work, but as you mention, sitting in a carpark every night after work, potentially having to wait for a space to become available, I can't say I'd be too enthusiastic about that after a while.

My plan is to put it on to charge as soon as I get in from work (about 5pm), and leave it until the following morning (6am), so that may well be enough to get me through the majority of my driving. But I have no doubt at some point I'll be heading to the Supercharger.

Thankfully, even at 35p kWh, it's still cheaper than running my current car. Here's hoping Pod point can squeeze me in before Christmas!
Don't want to be a downer but when working out predictive cost assume that whatever the average wh/m you use for the calc. you will probably actually consume 30-35% more electricity than that overall with charging losses, vampire drain, Sentry mode etc

Don't want to be a downer but when working out predictive cost assume that whatever the average wh/m you use for the calc. you will probably actually consume 30-35% more electricity than that overall with charging losses, vampire drain, Sentry mode etc
Not a downer at all, I appreciate the added perspective.
I suppose I'll just have to give it a go and see how it all pans out. I could always wake up an hour earlier on the odd day and head to a Supercharger if I need to!

If supercharging, you’ll be surprised how little time it takes. I doubt you’ll be queuing for long. Enjoy.

Reactions: icemankaka
Not a downer at all, I appreciate the added perspective.
I suppose I'll just have to give it a go and see how it all pans out. I could always wake up an hour earlier on the odd day and head to a Supercharger if I need to!
after my first experience of a supercharger this weekend, you'll be surprised at how long you'd need to stay, I went from 13% to 85% in about 35 mins on sunday, by the time you've had that wake up coffee it'll be pretty much there!

I'm taking delivery of my M3LR on Saturday, and only submitted the paperwork to Pod Point for a 7KW wall charger yesterday - the car wasn't originally due until next March!

I haven't had any kind of response from them about potential install dates (understandably!), but do you think it's a bad idea to receive the car without a charging point? I do roughly 60 miles a day for work, and if we factor in some new-car-fun miles, I could see myself doing 80 miles a day.

Apologies if this is a very basic question, but now the excitement of a new car has started to subside, I'm left with a load of doubt over the home charging point (i.e. what if it can't be installed, what if my home isn't compatible, etc.)
I do a 100 mile commute (50miles each way) every day to work. I have 10nr 3.6kw chargers at works (but you have to be quick to get one of these as the blooming Hybrids hog them) - it takes me 9hrs to reclaim my commute usage on these bad boys!

If im late to work and not able to get on to a charger, i go to the nearest SuC (Rugby Services or Leiceter Fosse park if i have enough range)

No charge point at home as i have on street parking.

Took delivery over 2 years ago.

So. answer to your question -

Am I mad​

See you at the mad house 🤪

It is certainly Doable but availability of Local Public Charging will make it much more convenient use Zap Map or other Services to see what's available Locally but as others have said also have a Plan B especially in Winter.

That's great to hear. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of price did you pay for that charge?
I'm afraid I don't know as I got my order in with a referral link for 1000 free supercharger miles before they closed the scheme, so it cost me nothing (aside from the overly expensive starbucks! :) ), I believe the rate is around 35p/KWh but its best if someone else confirms this as I don't know.

you can always not use it for those 'new car fun miles'.
Impossible!

:)

OP, try to limit non-driving losses. Don't put sentry mode on unless you really need it, and be careful about what apps you use. Ideally you want as much energy as possible going into the battery and was little loss during the day as you can get away with. FYI my charging losses are only 11% over a whole year. YMMV.

I'm afraid I don't know as I got my order in with a referral link for 1000 free supercharger miles before they closed the scheme, so it cost me nothing (aside from the overly expensive starbucks! :) ), I believe the rate is around 35p/KWh but its best if someone else confirms this as I don't know.
Ah not to worry - I think I must've ordered at the worst time, right after the £1,500 price rise and the free 1,000 miles offer ended!

But, from ordering to collection was only two weeks, so I suppose you can't have it all!

Different chargers have different prices.