Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I making a bad choice?

Which adventure should I choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, if you buy-out your lease, you essentially will have overpaid by a lot on your S in interest and the lost tax credit.

Realistically speaking though, it just depends on what you want in a car. The cost of supercharging is insignificant, but if you’re looking for value, the increased charging speed is really worth it. For me personally, I can’t imagine getting anything other than a new Model 3 for comparable money. YMMV, though. Good luck!
That’s a weird statement considering you don’t know what OPs supercharger use is.
Then you say the increase charge speed is worth it... again a weird thing to say not knowing how often op utilized s supercharger or whether or not they care how long it takes to charge.

OP if you like the car and you think it’s worth the 48k then I say buy it.

Reactions: Jumper
I'd lean towards keeping the S. Biggest depreciation hit is done. If your mileage vs age is reasonable I'd consider the extended warranty.

I love the 3 (wife's car) and the S (my car). If I were to pick one for my current situation I'd pick the S due to space. But it would be a hard pick, the 3 is a lot of fun to drive.

That’s a weird statement considering you don’t know what OPs supercharger use is.
Then you say the increase charge speed is worth it... again a weird thing to say not knowing how often op utilized s supercharger or whether or not they care how long it takes to charge.
Not sure why there’s confusion with this. OP asked for input, and so I voted and threw in a quick $0.02. The OP mentioned his existing car has free supercharging, and I simply stated that the cost of paid supercharging is actually insignificant. At ~15,000 miles a year, even if the OP used only paid supercharging that’d still comes out to be only $20-$25/week.

Additionally, the dramatically quicker recharge times of Model 3 compared to S are noteworthy. If supercharging is even remotely important to the OP, I would expect that having faster supercharging sessions would be a good thing for anyone - even if they don’t usually mind waiting an extra 20-30 minutes it’d take with an older car.

For me, I find more value in faster supercharging than free supercharging. Just the time saved when supercharging a 3 vs an older S is worth the cost for me, and that’s before V3.

... Of course I also prefaced all of this by saying “Realistically speaking though, it just depends on what you want in a car” and closed with “YMMV, though. Good luck!”

Ultimately as long as OP is happy with what they decide, I’m happy for them. It’s really not (supposed to be) all that complicated?

Yep - faster supercharging is better than free supercharging to me too. I take the 3 on roadtrips and pay the money despite having FUSC on the S. Helps that the 3 has more range so need for supercharging is less also. For us it is 70D vs 3LR. It is almost twice as fast. 40% in kw and 20% more efficient.

The devil you know....

June 2018 - I had the same decision. Lot of things going on and I didn't want to give up my super reliable S for a possible 3 problem. So I bought out the lease despite it not being as good of a deal. I am now approaching 80k miles with barely a dollar out of warranty costs and no service visits. (12V battery replaced at 55k miles - hence the barely a dollar comment. Most warranties wouldn't cover it anyway)

Perhaps too much time on forums. I took the car that I knew was well built with essentially zero problems.

Now the 3 we finally got in March has been perfect also. And it is fun to drive. The S has its own charms too. Glad we have one car with a hatch (and relatively large).

By almost any measure, the 3 is the better value proposition. But a perfect used S is no slouch either.

Reactions: Jumper and Drax
Are the three options in the poll the only choices you are considering, i.e. you WILL be driving a Tesla, just the question of whether its yours or a M3?

If so, have you had good luck with your car repair-wise (ton of warranty claims or relatively clean)? If so, and the fact you can trust the car, and it has options you can't buy new, I'd keep it.

I'm just going to point this out in case you don't have a poll in the M3 forums.... But you are on in the Model S forums here. I would say most of us are probably biased toward this model over the 3 to begin with.

I used to have a Mustang Cobra and I would always think it was funny when someone would go into that specific sub forum and ask if they should buy one... the answer was always "yes"... lol

I'm just going to point this out in case you don't have a poll in the M3 forums.... But you are on in the Model S forums here. I would say most of us are probably biased toward this model over the 3 to begin with.

I used to have a Mustang Cobra and I would always think it was funny when someone would go into that specific sub forum and ask if they should buy one... the answer was always "yes"... lol

So true. Actually, for "poor man's data science", I just might post this in the M3 forum to see the difference in stats.

Are the three options in the poll the only choices you are considering, i.e. you WILL be driving a Tesla, just the question of whether its yours or a M3?

If so, have you had good luck with your car repair-wise (ton of warranty claims or relatively clean)? If so, and the fact you can trust the car, and it has options you can't buy new, I'd keep it.

Yes. I'm all in on Tesla.

Yes: Great luck with the car (other than the "eyebrow lights" over the headlights needing to be replaced twice.

Thanks!