Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

am I making a mistake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I have an SR+ waiting for delivery on Thursday or Friday that I'm seriously second guessing. This morning I got the 15-40 jack installed in the garage as well..

What I'm second guessing is waiting to buy an AWD 3 mid December when there's hopefully incentives. For what its worth, my SR+ order is at the pre-increased price. The $17.5k after tax difference between the two while material, is doable financially and I suspect this car will be kept for 8-10 years. I've been driving myself crazy about this since placing the order.

Is it worth going from the SR+ to AWD and hoping somewhere in the process, there will be incentives before end of year?

My opinion, get the car and enjoy it. It’ll drive ya crazy constantly thinking about “yeah but what if I wait for .......”

After taking delivery of my MS they immediately introduced AP2 with the full camera suite. I stewed about it for days afterward then eventually said “screw it, nothing I can do about it now unless I eat another chunk of $$$”. I’ve enjoyed every minute with the car since then.

Long term, I think you will be more satisfied with the LR AWD version. The additional battery capacity will serve you well in the winter and in years to come as battery degradation makes some of your range disappear. Plan on a 40% drop in range during the winter months... does the SR+ still meet your needs? Also, the AWD setup does very well in the snow.

Reactions: GarthG
Hi everyone,

I have an SR+ waiting for delivery on Thursday or Friday that I'm seriously second guessing. This morning I got the 15-40 jack installed in the garage as well..

What I'm second guessing is waiting to buy an AWD 3 mid December when there's hopefully incentives. For what its worth, my SR+ order is at the pre-increased price. The $17.5k after tax difference between the two while material, is doable financially and I suspect this car will be kept for 8-10 years. I've been driving myself crazy about this since placing the order.

Is it worth going from the SR+ to AWD and hoping somewhere in the process, there will be incentives before end of year?

Don't even think about it, you probably made the right decision.

The only reason why you would want to change is if your daily commute is over 150 miles per day. At that point, with the colder temperatures, the LR may be more advantageous.
But you should have no issues driving the SR+ to Miami FL.

Long term, I think you will be more satisfied with the LR AWD version. The additional battery capacity will serve you well in the winter and in years to come as battery degradation makes some of your range disappear. Plan on a 40% drop in range during the winter months... does the SR+ still meet your needs? Also, the AWD setup does very well in the snow.

This is where I'm at, but the round trip commute is 80km and we don't do any cottage driving during the summer. Even if I round up to 100km, it feels like we'll be more than fine in the winter?

My S 75D after 2 years (70000 km total), has about 390 km at 100% now.

So, I would say with $5000 incentive, SR+ is no brainer, can't be beat. 408 km range is more than enough for road trip.

I personally think Model 3 SR+ price is a steal from Tesla even without $5000 incentive ...

Reactions: Jffurlan and IdaX
I have the SR+ and don't regret it at all. Agree that with the $5000 rebate it is the absolute best deal - not just for a Tesla but I would argue for any BEV. Based on you commute, the SR+ should be completely fine.

You say the extra $17.5k is doable financially. It would have been for me too, but even spread over 10 years, that's $1750 extra per year. I ask myself, are there other things I'd rather spend that $1750 on than extra range and AWD. The answer (for me) is yes. You need to decide what the answer is for yourself.

You can never buy the Tesla of tomorrow. You can only buy the Tesla of today.

Something new will always be just around the corner.

Best thing you can do when you place your order is to stop coming to the forums every day.

I understand, but appreciating I haven't taken delivery yet, there would be no consequence from walking.

ie here I am trying to make a last minute decision, before its too late.

Curious why you'd expect incentives in mid December. You mean a potential discount on an inventory car so they can deliver by end of quarter? I think the best you could hope for is free paint or wheel upgrade, or you may not get anything.

Yah, they only offer incentives if they need the cash - I wouldn't count on it. It doesn't matter when you buy the car, you'll always have missed something. Tesla is a work in progress and we are all still early adapters - there will always be a new feature or incentive or hardware that you if you just waited a little longer you would have gotten...but during the time you are waiting, you are not driving a totally awesome car. I was pissed that I ended up buying mine just after Ford cut the Ontario incentive - but I have not regretted the months I have been driving it when I might have held off waiting for the fed incentive, or a change of heart in the Ont Govm't. But waiting for the government to make improvements on the incentives...we'll be waiting awhile for that one, methinks.

Reactions: corlaandstan
Hi everyone,

The move to AWD also gets you a considerable bump in power. If that's something that matters to you then I'd factor that into your decision.

SR+ didn't exist when I ordered, nor did any incentive. I actually ordered before the ont govt cut the rebate hoping that the AWD was added to the incentive list....it wasn't. Did I get upset? Yes. Do I regret buying? No :eek:

I'll maybe make your situation worse: if AWD is in striking distance for you, spend the extra (I think it's 2k-ish) and try to find a stealth performance version. I think they are making them again for the US, maybe some will come to Canada. I'd do that in a heartbeat if I was you.

Or, make me an offer on my AWD and I'll order a stealth performance version....my birthday is coming up anyway :cool:

The move to AWD also gets you a considerable bump in power. If that's something that matters to you then I'd factor that into your decision.

SR+ didn't exist when I ordered, nor did any incentive. I actually ordered before the ont govt cut the rebate hoping that the AWD was added to the incentive list....it wasn't. Did I get upset? Yes. Do I regret buying? No :eek:

I'll maybe make your situation worse: if AWD is in striking distance for you, spend the extra (I think it's 2k-ish) and try to find a stealth performance version. I think they are making them again for the US, maybe some will come to Canada. I'd do that in a heartbeat if I was you.

Or, make me an offer on my AWD and I'll order a stealth performance version....my birthday is coming up anyway :cool:

This is for my mom so performance isn't top priority.. but that is a good point. If performance is $2k more without the bits..now that's a great deal.

We'll also take an offer, although pcons gets first offer to be fair. btw we have basically the same cars from same month ( VIN # 107xxx ). Take a white multi coat or red multi coat.