Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

am I making a mistake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My mom is still in panic mode about the SR+ lol.

Does anyone have an opinion if a 40km commute (aprox 1.5h in traffic), parked for 12-13H and than another 40km commute (1.5h) is enough battery, or is it ' close ' and we should really be prioritizing the AWD?

Does anyone have an opinion if a 40km commute (aprox 1.5h in traffic), parked for 12-13H and than another 40km commute (1.5h) is enough battery, or is it ' close ' and we should really be prioritizing the AWD?
My experience of 75D, during winter time of -10C, 35KM commute 1h, HVAC at 20C, I used up 15~20% one way, or 30~40% per day, charged to ~85% everyday.

You'll have no issue with SR+ under those conditions. Heck, in my gen 2 Chevy Volt I would have been able to make that commute 10 months of the year and that's with a battery 4x smaller than the SR+ :cool:

Yes. Probably down to -40C. Although I don't have much data past -20C which is the realistic lows we can expect in the GTA.

Edit: definitely down to -20C if you can charge to 90% at home overnight. I'd probably have to run numbers for -40C to be sure but we don't hit that here...

Got it, that's helpful and reassuring. We're so worried about this because its a significant purchase and the whole goal is to get my mom a safe and enjoyable winter car. While $17.5k is alot more to get into an AWD, I also don't want to be worrying about trading the car in, in 2 years, etc.

Even in the winter?
For sure. The car is rated at 150 wh/km and has a ~60 kwh battery. Even if you average 450 wh/km on the 80 km round trip that would only use 36 kwh. That's more than enough to leave sentry mode running all day even.

Oh, and I think it's pretty much impossible to use an average of 450wh/km on a 40 km trip.

Maybe if you did many 5km trips and the car cooled down at each one you MIGHT get that high (my wife has a short commute so I see her numbers), but not for a longer drive.

Also, this is a super worst case scenario. Most days you would be readily doing the trip in around 20-25 kwh (in winter). In the summer you'll likely get that done in less than 13-14 kwh.

For sure. The car is rated at 150 wh/km and has a ~60 kwh battery. Even if you average 450 wh/km on the 80 km round trip that would only use 36 kwh. That's more than enough to leave sentry mode running all day even.

Oh, and I think it's pretty much impossible to use an average of 450wh/km on a 40 km trip.

Maybe if you did many 5km trips and the car cooled down at each one you MIGHT get that high (my wife has a short commute so I see her numbers), but not for a longer drive.

Also, this is a super worst case scenario. Most days you would be readily doing the trip in around 20-25 kwh (in winter). In the summer you'll likely get that done in less than 13-14 kwh.

Is that 20-25 kwh round trip and does that account for the phantom loss of 13H of the car parked?

Maybe if you did many 5km trips and the car cooled down at each one you MIGHT get that high (my wife has a short commute so I see her numbers and they aren't that hight), but not for a longer drive.

It's a 50kwh battery and usually charged to 90% so 45kwh. But still very safe amount of energy. Worst I did this year on 50km was 278wh/km at -16C in an hour and 20 minutes. Worst at 25km drive was 297wh/km at -12 in 47 minutes.

I think you would still be ok up to 400wh/km. Which I've never hit on a drive over 5km in length. On such short trips pcons is right that you'll spend a lot of energy warming up the cabin that'll be lost if you park again.

Very helpful

Should I be charging to 90%? I thought 80% was the safe zone and above that I'm asking for the battery to deteriorate.

According to Tesla 90% is the safe zone and the car will warn you if you regularly charge past that.

Anything lower is better obviously 80 is better than 90 and 70 is better than that. But running low is bad too. So you also want to keep above 10%. Basically closer to 50% is best but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Edit: 90% is also the default setting when you get the car.

Gotta factor in the financial part of it too. If the range works for your mom, which it seems like it'll be more than enough, then the rebate should be factored into your decision as well.

Its this funny reality of if the rebate didn't exist, we would stretch to make the AWD happen. Even dumber, I would stretch to make the P3D- happen since I'll get to drive the car once in a while. Its the rebate factor that's really messing with our heads.

Just curious is the NEMA 14-50 generally a dumb decision to have proceeded with if we end up with an AWD?