Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I making a mistake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in the market for solar for my home, especially after purchasing a Model 3. I've been getting quotes and dealt with a few companies. Well before I pulled the trigger on Sunrun through Costco I went ahead a looked into Tesla and requested a plan paying the $100 fee (which is ridiculous I felt). This process started on the July 9, most companies got my plan within hours so I figured the same, I was wrong. 2 days later I call and they said the process may take up to a week. I was fine with that so I wait 2 weeks before reaching out to customer service to see what the delay was. The Rep notifies me that its been noted there should be a home inspection because a digital layout plan couldn't be complete with the aerials (when they were planning to reach out to me about it who knows) So a appointment is made for August 5, cool. Next day I receive my digital layout plan. I'm confused because they said this couldn't be complete until the home inspection. I call customer service again and ask them why I received this without the home inspection and if this is the plan do I still need someone from tesla to come to my home. Rep tells me they are still scheduled to go out and they will probably just check to make sure the plan is feasible. I ask the rep at what point do I get a pricing a financing plan because all I've seen is the initial sign up pricing. He said after the home inspection they will be able to get accurate pricing but it should be the same as initial quote unless they discover something during inspection. 2 days later I receive a detailed pricing and financing/credit check approval on my account, this is days before this home inspection. I contact a supposed dedicated Energy Rep and ask him if I'm good to accept this or do I have to wait for this home inspection as the rep a few days earlier said I wouldn't get pricing until after. This dedicated energy rep looks into my account and ask what appointment? I told him I have an appointment that two different reps verified for me on August 5. He said after reading through "notes" he found the appointment but it has since been deleted, and they will no longer go out, they are fine with the plan as is. I ask him if he is sure as I have a family member coming to my home for the inspection since I will not be available to let them in. He said he was sure and I could accept terms and credit check by clicking the accept button on my account. I do so and I get an error that says, "something when wrong, try again" after multiple failed attempts the rep says he will have to contact the financial department and it may take up to 72 hours. I think this is ridiculous that it can be figured out in real time but I agree. Today August 5, I get a call at work that Tesla has arrived, after being told that the appointment has been cancelled.:mad:

I cannot believe how bad the customer service is with Tesla, its starting to worry me. I mean it seems like nobody is on the same page. Everything tells me I should pull out of this project with Tesla but the pricing compared to Sunrun who had the next best off is about $15,000 less! That seems odd to me to but I can not pass up on $15k even though I'm skeptical.

What do you guys think, is this the norm with Tesla? Am I making a mistake going through with this. I mean my Model 3 customer service is lacking but this is next level.

Oh and a side note, through the process I was told I can use my own reference could to receive credit on my solar from a friend. When I ask the rep about it he said you can, but you didn't sign up for solar with your referral code therefore I could not without starting over! So ridiculous, I didn't even know it had to be done like that, makes no sense that I could add that through the process. SMH.

This is absolutely normal for Tesla Energy. It is what you should expect for the provider with the absolutely bottom basement pricing.

The left hand never knows what the right is doing.

If you are willing to essentially be a 2nd project manager on your own project, you can save a boatload of cash, but cuts in sales and CSR staff at Tesla are exactly why they are able to sell things at the price they are.

Literally, you get what you pay for in that regard.

I'm in the process of working with Sunrun and it doesn't get any better. Especially if you want to get Powerwalls. Sunrun also requires the customer to be the 2nd Project Manager or else the customer is at risk of getting a wonky configuration that makes no sense.

But I disagree about the price difference between Tesla and Sunrun... Tesla just baked nickels and dimes into their quote as they discover complexities of the install. Sunrun didn't do the nickel and dime job plus you should get a rebate to use @ Costco.

Compared to local installers, my quotes were an extra $1.00 per watt which made it tough to go through them.

But, if you're looking at PV + Battery, my recommendation is to get the PV portion set up by a reputable installer first. A quality PV-only job should be rather straightforward without a lot of weird shenanigans. Then pay a dedicated Powerwall shop that really knows their stuff to do that component later. This disaggregates the problem into manageable chunks. Going big-bang with PV + Solar at the same time just causes a crap ton of headaches.

Tesla is a bit of a pain, but it saved me over $6K. I'm willing to put up with it for that amount of cash.

If you have a very unusual install, then you might want to consider someone else. Otherwise they will eventually get their act together.

This is absolutely normal for Tesla Energy. It is what you should expect for the provider with the absolutely bottom basement pricing.

The left hand never knows what the right is doing.

If you are willing to essentially be a 2nd project manager on your own project, you can save a boatload of cash, but cuts in sales and CSR staff at Tesla are exactly why they are able to sell things at the price they are.

Literally, you get what you pay for in that regard.

I mean as far as product is it worth it? I cant imagine dealing with there customer service on a regular basis if there product is inferior.

I mean as far as product is it worth it? I cant imagine dealing with there customer service on a regular basis if there product is inferior.

I can only speak towards powerwalls, as the house I bought had SunPower pre-installed for solar.

While dealing with them was frustrating in terms of the CSRs, the installation staff were top notch and really knew what they were doing.

I guess it comes down to personal preference. If the savings are $15,000, then for me that would be worth the headache.

Reactions: X-pilot

They use industry standard components. I used to be an electrician and how they ran the electrical was very professionally done - I just didn't care for where they ran it.

You shouldn't have to be frequently contacting Tesla once your install is done.

I'm in the process of working with Sunrun and it doesn't get any better. Especially if you want to get Powerwalls. Sunrun also requires the customer to be the 2nd Project Manager or else the customer is at risk of getting a wonky configuration that makes no sense.

But I disagree about the price difference between Tesla and Sunrun... Tesla just baked nickels and dimes into their quote as they discover complexities of the install. Sunrun didn't do the nickel and dime job plus you should get a rebate to use @ Costco.

Compared to local installers, my quotes were an extra $1.00 per watt which made it tough to go through them.

But, if you're looking at PV + Battery, my recommendation is to get the PV portion set up by a reputable installer first. A quality PV-only job should be rather straightforward without a lot of weird shenanigans. Then pay a dedicated Powerwall shop that really knows their stuff to do that component later. This disaggregates the problem into manageable chunks. Going big-bang with PV + Solar at the same time just causes a crap ton of headaches.

I don't know its odd the price as far as the price gap i'm receiving on quotes.

Sunrun approximate 11kW system giving me approximate 14900kWh yearly production $40,000 before incentives (tax credit/Costco $1000)

Tesla Large 12.24kW system giving me approximate 18000kWh yearly production $24,000 before incentive (tax credit)

So about $15000.00 in savings. Doesn't this seem odd, I mean I told sunrun this isn't even competitive.

I don't know its odd the price as far as the price gap i'm receiving on quotes.

Sunrun approximate 11kW system giving me approximate 14900kWh yearly production $40,000 before incentives (tax credit/Costco $1000)

Tesla Large 12.24kW system giving me approximate 18000kWh yearly production $24,000 before incentive (tax credit)

So about $15000.00 in savings. Doesn't this seem odd, I mean I told sunrun this isn't even competitive.

No, it doesn't seem odd when you know how high the margins are on solar installations. Someone like Tesla has needed to shake up the market for a LONG time.

Each of those panels you see on your roof, their cost to the installer is $90-$125 each. Add in the cost of the inverter (or micro-inverters for some companies), and that can double, but it's a VERY profitable business.

By cutting sales staff, CSRs, and making the installations standardized instead of customized, Tesla can do these and still make a decent margin on them.

No, it doesn't seem odd when you know how high the margins are on solar installations. Someone like Tesla has needed to shake up the market for a LONG time.

Each of those panels you see on your roof, their cost to the installer is $90-$125 each. Add in the cost of the inverter (or micro-inverters for some companies), and that can double, but it's a VERY profitable business.

By cutting sales staff, CSRs, and making the installations standardized instead of customized, Tesla can do these and still make a decent margin on them.

Yeah, I was looking at my contract and it’s kind of crazy. This was for a 15.12kW system before the price drop. But just for the solar portion of my system it’s showing a total cost of $34500.06, then it breaks it down to 48 315W panels: $9660.02, Two 7.6kW inverters and mounting hardware: $6900.02, and Installation, permitting, and other fees: $17940.02. Less than half the cost of the system is materials, and I’m sure those materials are still marked up to some extent. The ratio might be a little different now, after the price reduction, but it still surprised me.

Yeah, I was looking at my contract and it’s kind of crazy. This was for a 15.12kW system before the price drop. But just for the solar portion of my system it’s showing a total cost of $34500.06, then it breaks it down to 48 315W panels: $9660.02, Two 7.6kW inverters and mounting hardware: $6900.02, and Installation, permitting, and other fees: $17940.02. Less than half the cost of the system is materials, and I’m sure those materials are still marked up to some extent. The ratio might be a little different now, after the price reduction, but it still surprised me.

I don't have the skillset, but I know people that are able to do their own solar installs (electrician, electrical engineers, top-shelf DIYer) and they can save an absolute massive amount on costs of a new system.

I've been in the market for solar for my home, especially after purchasing a Model 3. I've been getting quotes and dealt with a few companies. Well before I pulled the trigger on Sunrun through Costco I went ahead a looked into Tesla and requested a plan paying the $100 fee (which is ridiculous I felt). This process started on the July 9, most companies got my plan within hours so I figured the same, I was wrong. 2 days later I call and they said the process may take up to a week. I was fine with that so I wait 2 weeks before reaching out to customer service to see what the delay was. The Rep notifies me that its been noted there should be a home inspection because a digital layout plan couldn't be complete with the aerials (when they were planning to reach out to me about it who knows) So a appointment is made for August 5, cool. Next day I receive my digital layout plan. I'm confused because they said this couldn't be complete until the home inspection. I call customer service again and ask them why I received this without the home inspection and if this is the plan do I still need someone from tesla to come to my home. Rep tells me they are still scheduled to go out and they will probably just check to make sure the plan is feasible. I ask the rep at what point do I get a pricing a financing plan because all I've seen is the initial sign up pricing. He said after the home inspection they will be able to get accurate pricing but it should be the same as initial quote unless they discover something during inspection. 2 days later I receive a detailed pricing and financing/credit check approval on my account, this is days before this home inspection. I contact a supposed dedicated Energy Rep and ask him if I'm good to accept this or do I have to wait for this home inspection as the rep a few days earlier said I wouldn't get pricing until after. This dedicated energy rep looks into my account and ask what appointment? I told him I have an appointment that two different reps verified for me on August 5. He said after reading through "notes" he found the appointment but it has since been deleted, and they will no longer go out, they are fine with the plan as is. I ask him if he is sure as I have a family member coming to my home for the inspection since I will not be available to let them in. He said he was sure and I could accept terms and credit check by clicking the accept button on my account. I do so and I get an error that says, "something when wrong, try again" after multiple failed attempts the rep says he will have to contact the financial department and it may take up to 72 hours. I think this is ridiculous that it can be figured out in real time but I agree. Today August 5, I get a call at work that Tesla has arrived, after being told that the appointment has been cancelled.:mad:

I cannot believe how bad the customer service is with Tesla, its starting to worry me. I mean it seems like nobody is on the same page. Everything tells me I should pull out of this project with Tesla but the pricing compared to Sunrun who had the next best off is about $15,000 less! That seems odd to me to but I can not pass up on $15k even though I'm skeptical.

What do you guys think, is this the norm with Tesla? Am I making a mistake going through with this. I mean my Model 3 customer service is lacking but this is next level.

Oh and a side note, through the process I was told I can use my own reference could to receive credit on my solar from a friend. When I ask the rep about it he said you can, but you didn't sign up for solar with your referral code therefore I could not without starting over! So ridiculous, I didn't even know it had to be done like that, makes no sense that I could add that through the process. SMH.
Whoa! I read the full story, you should send a tweet to Elon Musk to have someone at Tesla listening to you !!!

Elon Musk has finished building the world's biggest battery in less than 100 days

Elon Musk looks to have delivered on his promise to build the biggest lithium ion battery in the world
in an effort to help South Australia with its crippling energy problems.

“100 days from contract signature or it’s free,”

Musk tweeted at the time, in a deal initially negotiated over Twitter. Musk is well ahead of schedule (a rarity for Tesla!),
with the 100MW battery set to be energised and tested in the coming days,
according to a press release from the local state government.

I don't have the skillset, but I know people that are able to do their own solar installs
(electrician, electrical engineers, top-shelf DIYer)
and they can save an absolute massive amount on costs of a new system.
I have been following various YouTube Channels and forums such as DIY Solar Power Forum
which is a good way to learn about Solar Technology installation, and will be my next project.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I think they are all bad.

We were moving forward with Petersendean(P-D). Took 2 to 3 weeks to get a sales rep to return our calls. Then we said we want to see a couple of homes with their roof on (we were doing roof + solar). 2-month delay to get an address. We decided to go forward and sent $1000. They go radio silent for a couple of months. Our queries were responded to "we are working on getting you on the schedule".

Around October Elon shows off the V3 SolarRoof. We decide that is what we want. After we have a preliminary design from Tesla, P-D finally gets back to us and wants to start in 2 days. We tell them we are looking at other options and they get upset. Calls from sales rep, sales manager, etc. Threats and harsh language. We tell them we are going with Tesla. Radio silence since then. Tesla installed SolarRoof and 2 Powerwalls. Even with Covid-19 shutdown install is done in 30 days. Then a week or so ago I get a letter stating P-D has filed Chapter 11. I can submit a claim for our money back, but we are at the back of a long list. I am just going to write off the money.

I think they are all bad.

We were moving forward with Petersendean(P-D). Took 2 to 3 weeks to get a sales rep to return our calls. Then we said we want to see a couple of homes with their roof on (we were doing roof + solar). 2-month delay to get an address. We decided to go forward and sent $1000. They go radio silent for a couple of months. Our queries were responded to "we are working on getting you on the schedule".

Around October Elon shows off the V3 SolarRoof. We decide that is what we want. After we have a preliminary design from Tesla, P-D finally gets back to us and wants to start in 2 days. We tell them we are looking at other options and they get upset. Calls from sales rep, sales manager, etc. Threats and harsh language. We tell them we are going with Tesla. Radio silence since then. Tesla installed SolarRoof and 2 Powerwalls. Even with Covid-19 shutdown install is done in 30 days. Then a week or so ago I get a letter stating P-D has filed Chapter 11. I can submit a claim for our money back, but we are at the back of a long list. I am just going to write off the money.

Off-topic, but I really REALLY hope the SolarRoof takes off (like 100X more than it is now). I absolutely love integrated solutions and my only pet-peeve about our current system is that the panels we have destroy the aesthetics of the roof.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Off-topic, but I really REALLY hope the SolarRoof takes off (like 100X more than it is now). I absolutely love integrated solutions and my only pet-peeve about our current system is that the panels we have destroy the aesthetics of the roof.

Looks were a driving factor for us. Plus we were able to get an additional 3 kW higher rating (9->12 kW). And then Tesla discounted the PW installation since their install was done concurrently with roof (same with panels).

It is not a product for every install. But, if you need a roof and want solar it is a great package.

Looks were a driving factor for us. Plus we were able to get an additional 3 kW higher rating (9->12 kW). And then Tesla discounted the PW installation since their install was done concurrently with roof (same with panels).

It is not a product for every install. But, if you need a roof and want solar it is a great package.

Sadly, I have a new house, with concrete roof tiles. My "need" to replace the actual roof won't occur for 30 years (baring a major earthquake).

Sadly, I have a new house, with concrete roof tiles. My "need" to replace the actual roof won't occur for 30 years (baring a major earthquake).

Concrete tiles will probably last you longer than 30 years especially here in SoCal. I'm assuming since it is a new house they used the newer underlayments and not tar paper? If so, you shouldn't have to touch that roof for a very long time.

• Informative
I don't have the skillset, but I know people that are able to do their own solar installs (electrician, electrical engineers, top-shelf DIYer) and they can save an absolute massive amount on costs of a new system.

Being a former electrician, I always dreamed of doing my own install of an 8kW system. I shopped around online, but what I could get the system for it was a bit less than Tesla all-in. Once I added permits, conduit, wire, breakers, etc. I wasn't really saving that much. I understand there are possibly local wholesalers who will sell systems for cheaper than what you can find online, but I decided to save my back and let Tesla do it. I also went with a larger system. After seeing everything they did, I'm glad I let them do it.