Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I missing something

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sold my 70D and looking to replace with a newer and more optioned model S. Locked in on a CPO 90d in Vegas.

Was talking to my brother over dinner and he suggested that i price out a new build...between federal and state tax credits, it's not even close.

I see 2017 75 Ds for upwards of 78k. Brand new and fully optioned 2018, 82K after federal tax credit plus no state sales tax.

Why aren't the 2017 75d's depreciating faster...tax adjusted, they are more expensive than new.

Well, there are also people who can't take advantage of tax credits.
And there's the time aspect - when you order a new one you have to wait, and wait... for it to come. The used ones are there and ready to go.
Then there are some losses of options that some people might want.

But it's probably mostly that people buying used aren't looking at new and vice versa. And it just so happens that right now in that one segment the prices are aligned. We've seen this happen before with other cars. When gas prices were high about 8 years ago many fuel efficient cars were selling for more used than new. It was a situation where a bunch of buyers entered the used market assuming prices would be lower and the surge of shoppers increased the prices so high that they rose above the new prices. Those buyers never even really considered new... and the ones who did literally said it was a time issue, they could get the used car faster and were willing to pay extra for that convenience.

When I bought my 2015 85D CPO from Tesla in January 2017, there was only about a 3-4K difference between brand new 60D model or my CPO after factoring in tax credits. Ultimately I elected to go with the CPO because for less money I was getting a a car practically brand new with 11k miles, bigger battery, pano sunroof and nicer interior trim and my monthly loan payments were more manageable as I didn’t have to wait for tax credits. If the options were all the same though I would have elected for a new model.

At this time, also, no one is likely to get the full tax credit. You have to take delivery by the end of the year to get it. The end of the year is very close. So it's not a $7500 discount anymore, it's a $3750 discount.

According to the Order page:

Federal Tax Credit
Order by November 30th to ensure eligibility for the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit. Tesla will expedite shipping for 2018 delivery.​

Sold my 70D and looking to replace with a newer and more optioned model S. Locked in on a CPO 90d in Vegas.
Was talking to my brother over dinner and he suggested that i price out a new build...between federal and state tax credits, it's not even close.
I see 2017 75 Ds for upwards of 78k. Brand new and fully optioned 2018, 82K after federal tax credit plus no state sales tax.
Why aren't the 2017 75d's depreciating faster...tax adjusted, they are more expensive than new.

I think one important difference that does affect the resale price is the AP2 vs. AP1. While until recently AP1 was on par (if not superior in some aspects) to AP2, things will change dramatically if/when the FSD features will become available, perhaps as early as next year...

Order by November 30th to ensure eligibility for the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit. Tesla will expedite shipping for 2018 delivery.​

Hahaha, if I had a quarter for every claim Tesla made that failed to actually come true.
Tesla is good at making beautiful cars, long range batteries, useful autopilot features.
They are NOT good at anything related to meeting deadlines by specified dates :D

Hahaha, if I had a quarter for every claim Tesla made that failed to actually come true.
Tesla is good at making beautiful cars, long range batteries, useful autopilot features.
They are NOT good at anything related to meeting deadlines by specified dates :D
I talked to my Owner Adviser and he said Tesla will refund my deposit if they don't deliver in December. I'll take that!

Order by Nov 30th to get delivery by Dec 31st .. are you serious? I placed my Model S order on October 14th and was just assigned (a very unresponsive) advisor .. 6 weeks later. Still, no clue on delivery date.

Furthermore, my understanding is that the car must be REGISTERED by the end of the year for the IRS to give the tax credit. But Tesla is dropping the ball on registrations and there are TONS of us sitting in registration limbo. I'm glad I don't have a $7500 stake in the game anymore, since I opted to buy a used S rather than a new 3. I'm happy with my S and honestly can't imagine feeling as great about the 3.

Back to the original topic - I bought my used S about 2 weeks ago for $50,800. CarFax and Kelley Blue Book both said it was worth about $53-55k at the time. But now, 2 weeks later both those estimates went UP! Now they're saying it's worth between $58-65k !

Furthermore, my understanding is that the car must be REGISTERED by the end of the year for the IRS to give the tax credit. But Tesla is dropping the ball on registrations and there are TONS of us sitting in registration limbo. I'm glad I don't have a $7500 stake in the game anymore, since I opted to buy a used S rather than a new 3. I'm happy with my S and honestly can't imagine feeling as great about the 3.

Back to the original topic - I bought my used S about 2 weeks ago for $50,800. CarFax and Kelley Blue Book both said it was worth about $53-55k at the time. But now, 2 weeks later both those estimates went UP! Now they're saying it's worth between $58-65k !
That's incorrect. You only have to have it delivered and "placed into service" by the end of the year. We've bought 3 Teslas in December and registered them the following year and have had no problem claiming the federal and state tax credits on them.

That's incorrect. You only have to have it delivered and "placed into service" by the end of the year. We've bought 3 Teslas in December and registered them the following year and have had no problem claiming the federal and state tax credits on them.

Um, that would have been last year or prior, ALL of which were years when the following January sales were still eligible for the full $7500 tax credit. THIS January is the cut off. The $7500 tax credit changes to $3750 at the end of December 2018. Any prior December sales are totally irrelevant.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: outdoors
You need the title to have a date on or before December 31, 2018, not the Bill of Sale.

"Section 1 of the Notice states, “[t]his notice also amplifies Notice 2009-54 and Notice 2009-58, 2009-30 I.R.B. 163 (relating to the plug-in electric vehicle credit under § 30) to provide that a vehicle is considered “acquired” when title to that vehicle passes under state law.” Specifically, Section 4.07 of the Notice provides that “[a] vehicle is not “acquired” before the date on which title to that vehicle passes under state law.” "

And this is only for new cars, obviously. Used don't get the tax credit.

IRC 30D Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit Sales Definition Clarification | Internal Revenue Service

More info on that:
UPDATE: Tesla Has Officially Admitted To Passing 200k US Deliverie Credit Safe Until December

Of course, we will just have to wait and see how it all plays out. January TMC forums will likely see quite a few discussions about it. Get yer popcorn.

Last edited:
Um, that would have been last year or prior, ALL of which were years when the following January sales were still eligible for the full $7500 tax credit. THIS January is the cut off. The $7500 tax credit changes to $3750 at the end of December 2018. Any prior December sales are totally irrelevant.
No. We just took delivery of another Tesla on Wednesday of this week. We will register it in February and since it was placed in service in December 2018, we will receive the entire $7500 federal tax credit and $5000 Colorado tax credit.

We've bought 7 Teslas and received the tax credits as expected on all of them. We know how the system works.

Look at line 3 of form 8936:
3 Enter date vehicle was placed in service (MM/DD/YYYY)

Last edited: