Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I not understanding the app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This month I was expecting a large credit from SCE as my solar production has been more than double the home usage reported by the Tesla app. I was surprised to see that SCE is showing I consumed more power than I sold back to the grid.

1620330524747.png

I thought since each grey line was larger in the negative (sent to grid) that I have been sending more to the grid than I've been receiving. I understand the price differences between different time periods and the NBCs. I'm just trying to understand why SCE appears to say I've pulled more power than I've generated when the Tesla app is showing the reverse. Am I misunderstanding something?

1620330686488.png

This month I was expecting a large credit from SCE as my solar production has been more than double the home usage reported by the Tesla app. I was surprised to see that SCE is showing I consumed more power than I sold back to the grid.

View attachment 660008

I thought since each grey line was larger in the negative (sent to grid) that I have been sending more to the grid than I've been receiving. I understand the price differences between different time periods and the NBCs. I'm just trying to understand why SCE appears to say I've pulled more power than I've generated when the Tesla app is showing the reverse. Am I misunderstanding something?

View attachment 660009
At the bottom of the screen shot you should see a "TO GRID" and the value of kWh for the month. It runs by calendar month & won't address your TOU issues. Also, some utilities have a monthly minimum charge. For example, I have a midmonth billing and a flat rate cost (no TOU). However, I have a minimum of a penny per hour cost regardless of how much I send to the grid.

Reactions: SoCal Dave
What's the "Baseline credit" at the top? It's strange that it's the exact same as your net calculation but it could be a coincidence?
Baseline credit is a reduction in the cost of electricity for usage up to the a baseline monthly amount.
Because they're TOU, it's easier to do it that way than give different prices.

Their rate plan is one of the ones shown here:

At the bottom of the screen shot you should see a "TO GRID" and the value of kWh for the month. It runs by calendar month & won't address your TOU issues. Also, some utilities have a monthly minimum charge. For example, I have a midmonth billing and a flat rate cost (no TOU). However, I have a minimum of a penny per hour cost regardless of how much I send to the grid.

Ah, wish there was an indication to scroll for more info :)

Ok, so if I'm understanding this correctly, the app is showing I sold a net of 851 kWh (1209-358) while SCE is saying I bought a net of 344 kWh. That is a 1,195 kWh difference, ugh....

1620333423333.png

Ok, so if I'm understanding this correctly, the app is showing I sold a net of 851 kWh (1209-358) while SCE is saying I bought a net of 344 kWh. That is a 1,195 kWh difference, ugh....

View attachment 660018
I did not know that info was there either. Learn something new each day

Seems you just need to call them

Reactions: SoCal Dave
Do you have a more detailed bill? I have an issue in PG&E land where the size of the solar they have on record for me is wrong (smaller than it actually is). The model what my production should be and limit my calculated exports to match. This took me a while to figure out. It is only apparent in the more detailed bill where it showed actual export vs calculated export and it showed that I was only be allowed up to the limit of their calculation.

View attachment 660018
Yes that the way I do the math on my end as well. Do you have the ability to look at daily usage on your utility portal site? I do this everyday until I get a feel for how it works. I haven't have a my first bill with solar yet (couple of days to go). Also the revenue meter is helpful.

View attachment 660018
It sounds like you understand the app correctly. One reason the numbers are off is because the Tesla app is showing April 1 - April 30 whereas your bill is from April 6th to May 4th. However, I don't think that would account for the entire difference you are seeing.

Do you have a more detailed bill? I have an issue in PG&E land where the size of the solar they have on record for me is wrong (smaller than it actually is). The model what my production should be and limit my calculated exports to match. This took me a while to figure out. It is only apparent in the more detailed bill where it showed actual export vs calculated export and it showed that I was only be allowed up to the limit of their calculation.
Have you not fixed that solar size with PGE yet?

Couple more thoughts...

Is the Tesla consumption about correct for your home? I think I read in your post history that you don't have a Powerwall, so it may be possible that the CTs that measure the grid are behind another breaker box that has another load (AC? EV charger?) which isn't being captured by the app. 1200kwh/mo difference though would be 40kwh/day.

Another possibility - is your bill an estimated bill or an actual meter read?

Spent 2 hours trying to talk to someone who could help at SCE, but no success. Will try again tomorrow.

Do you have daily and hourly production? Also, you should export your data from the Tesla app (use ios since android is currently broken) and create a spreadsheet that includes just the billing days from your utility provider so you can align them up and compare.

Also can you post a screen shot of your May usage so far in the app just to rule out some sky high crazy usage for the first 4 days of May? If the first 4 days is similar to your usage in April, then there is a colossal mistake somewhere. Either there's a very badly configured CT in the TEG, your meter is broken, or there's some other utility company error.

What inverter are you using? So you have powerwalls and hence a TEG or do you just have the solar inverter either Tesla or SE? If you have SE, have you logged into the portal to make sure the solar production agrees with the Tesla app?

Couple more thoughts...

Is the Tesla consumption about correct for your home? I think I read in your post history that you don't have a Powerwall, so it may be possible that the CTs that measure the grid are behind another breaker box that has another load (AC? EV charger?) which isn't being captured by the app. 1200kwh/mo difference though would be 40kwh/day.

Another possibility - is your bill an estimated bill or an actual meter read?

You win!

I was going in circles with the SCE guy for a while and I finally went out to my panel to take an amperage reading. I noticed the meter's digital display is completely dead. SCE just confirmed they have been using power estimates.

Odd that it doesn't indicate on the bill that it is an estimate.