Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

am I over worrying about Charging / SuC network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doing a little googling and there seems to be a number of threads suggesting Super Charger stations are very busy during bank holidays, weekends etc.

One of the main reasons for agreeing to buy a Tesla was the use of the SuC network BUT if they are inaccessible with large queues then, waiting an hour to even charge and having to wait in the car rather than grabbing a meal etc it starts to worry me.

After a long road trip heading home I guess the Mrs / Kids wouldn't be too happy for such an inconvenience !

Am I worrying too much ?

They’re increasing the network rapidly. But for busy days/long trips have a plan A B and C. As you approach the car can advise you if a station is busy or free, so you can decide to push on if you want.
Plus you can use any CCS charger. Loads of other brands going in now, with dedicated services popping up too.
Have a look on ZapMap to see what’s around on your likely routes.
Overall I think electric HAS come of age. But you do need to plan if your travelling long distance.

I was coming back from a holiday trip in my M3 just at the time the petrol crisis started to hit. I dropped into a SC location at a motorway service station and charged up while having a snack. However, it then took the best part of an hour to exit the service station due to the mass of ICE vehicles who had tried to find fuel. Queues - it’s all relative!

Yes! Of course it will depend on the location and the day/time you visit, but in the 2 1/2 months I've had my car, I've visited 3 Super Charger locations, and never once had to wait.... Do you plan on Super Charging often?
to be fair not too often if I can get 230 miles out of the car then most family day trips are easily within that range, its just for example those trips back to Leeds from Gatwick / Heathrow after a holiday when everyone is grumpy and wanting to get home plus maybe the odd Scotland / Wales trips.

I have OCD and do over think things 😂

Reactions: stolengoat
Most charging is done at home, work (if lucky) or where you stay (podpoints in holiday parks/supermarkets, parking, even granny cable at friends).

I repeat myself, but when planning a long trip or series of trips, I use A Better Route Planner (ABRP) to plan a return trip (therefore getting a few more charger choices listed out). I click on the table to get a list of stops. I often skip one or more if I know I'll stop for a meal.

The in-car navigation shows stalls available/total. It's the best. Tesla network is the best, but Tesla Model 3 & Y can use any CCS network.

I'm sure you can find a better video - but it shows 7 out of 8 stalls being available. If it was 1 or 2, I'd see if I could skip to next, checking availability. I haven't used superchargers much in UK, but did use them in a continental roadtrip a lot. Only problems were at Leeds (very slow) and busy period in Netherlands when Model 3 sales were VERY high but network wasn't as big as it is now. That one stop in Netherlands at rush hour was the only place I ever saw a Supercharger queue and cars weren't waiting long as there were 16 chargers & most people only charge 15-30 minutes (less nowadays probably, chargers are faster), so you got a changeover every 1-2 minutes. Many superchargers I have visited, I was the only one there.

This is for a new SR, LR would be easier. Charging at Gatwick and travelling slower/more economically (M1 + M25 should do the trick) - probably no need to charge more than once briefly on each leg, possibly no need to charge at all if sitting in traffic a lot (aerodynamics at speed kills efficiency). Adjust parameters to handle weight, weather etc.

1644273513900.png

One way with 82kwh Long Range Model 3

1644274055997.png

Last edited:
Reactions: s7gpt
to be fair not too often if I can get 230 miles out of the car then most family day trips are easily within that range, its just for example those trips back to Leeds from Gatwick / Heathrow after a holiday when everyone is grumpy and wanting to get home plus maybe the odd Scotland / Wales trips.

Most of the time you’ll be fine. If your biggest trips are fairly predictable then you can quickly learn backups. Heathrow to Leeds? There are a few superchargers near Heathrow, more on the M1/M40 and Motirway services will have gridserve. Rugby there is a big hub. North/south I don’t think you’ll have any big issues

It’s a bigger issue in California than over here but some sites can get busy.

At the end of the day it comes with ebs and flows, it’s not really predictable and the same applies for non-Tesla sites more than Tesla. Lots of non Tesla sites only have 2 chargers and they tend to be slow 50kw units.

Yes! Of course it will depend on the location and the day/time you visit, but in the 2 1/2 months I've had my car, I've visited 3 Super Charger locations, and never once had to wait.... Do you plan on Super Charging often?
+1 and add that in two years I have only need to share a charger once... this including holiday driving between UK and Spain. 20K miles and no complaints. The phenomenon complained by the OP is a California issue, it seems.

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
Doing a little googling and there seems to be a number of threads suggesting Super Charger stations are very busy during bank holidays, weekends etc.

One of the main reasons for agreeing to buy a Tesla was the use of the SuC network BUT if they are inaccessible with large queues then, waiting an hour to even charge and having to wait in the car rather than grabbing a meal etc it starts to worry me.

After a long road trip heading home I guess the Mrs / Kids wouldn't be too happy for such an inconvenience !

Am I worrying too much ?

I would say you are, but its part of being new to this game, I was initially too and after a few stops that fear starts to ease.

In my experience in 2 months, 2500 miles and 12 supercharger stops at different locations at different times, the only time I came close to having to wait (was last free spot) was in Northampton @9pm on a friday night, when bizarely I had waited before leaving home on my 100mile journey - working on the premise that later would mean quieter :(

I think this year will be more telling if Tesla continue to sell 1000s of vehicles in the UK and when they do open up a limited set of sites

But like most here, I charge at home 99% of the time

I've completed over 42,000 miles and used superchargers on a regular basis ( besides the 50kWh chargers that no longer free) - in all that time I haven't waited to charge, although some fairly full. I'm not overly worried by it or the options.

The Tesla nav will re-route you if there is a queue and there is another supercharger site with some space.

I'm imagining the big travel bank holidays might be painful, but otherwise no issues. I'd probably consider my travel time on those dates.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not all rosey there are are sites that can get very busy.

I’ve seen South Mimms absolutely chocca with Tesla’s and that was before the last few quarters of deliveries.

Likewise I have seen Rugby completely full, including the gridserve slots. This is a brand new site with a ton of chargers. People are coming here because the other surrounding services only have a handful of chargers between them.

The main positive is that at most sites have a a lot of chargers so in reality the turnover of cars is quite high, particularly a V3 site. The more plugs there are the more likely it is someone will be almost finished up and leaving.

That said for the most part you’ll be really unlucky to come across a queue.

I only Supercharge rarely ... maybe 20 times in 2.5 years. Maybe I'm lucky but I've never queued. Though your car may be capable of 230 miles I would suggest avoiding a single leg trip of that length. Nobody, other than Youtubers, charges their car to 100% and plans to arrive at their destination with 0%. Your OCD will help you here! Remember that there isn't a Supercharger at the exact distance you think you can comfortably drive. You may think that you'll charge after 200 miles but what if there are Superchargers at 150 miles and 220 miles ... well obviously you are going to charge after 150 miles. And plan to arrive with adequate battery percentage because you may expect to drive around after you arrive at your destination! Take a look at Abetterrouteplanner and play around with the settings. The best way to look at things is to think of Supercharger stops as welcome opportunities to stop, have a coffee or lunch, rather than something to be avoided at all costs ... it becomes much more relaxing to always be working well within the the limits of range. There are no prizes for record breaking range trips unless you are counting Youtube hits.

Reactions: s7gpt
just for example those trips back to Leeds from Gatwick / Heathrow after a holiday when everyone is grumpy

I wonder if there is a possible business opportunity here? Or an extension of the current meet & greet parking? Drop your car off with them, they park it, wait until the superchargers are quieter (or use 22kw chargers) to fill it up, when you come back your battery is full and away you go?

I wonder if there is a possible business opportunity here? Or an extension of the current meet & greet parking? Drop your car off with them, they park it, wait until the superchargers are quieter (or use 22kw chargers) to fill it up, when you come back your battery is full and away you go?
Should have googled before posting the above.... it already exists

Gatwick: Electric Charging
Heathrow: Heathrow meet and greet parking | MBW Heathrow valet parking - Our Add-On Services

So in summary, you could drive from Leeds to Gatwick or Heathrow, have your vehicle charged whilst your away, and then drive straight back home. No stopping and works out cheaper than superchargers!

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Should have googled before posting the above.... it already exists

Gatwick: Electric Charging
Heathrow: Heathrow meet and greet parking | MBW Heathrow valet parking - Our Add-On Services

So in summary, you could drive from Leeds to Gatwick or Heathrow, have your vehicle charged whilst your away, and then drive straight back home. No stopping and works out cheaper than superchargers!
thats great, thanks for that as a i have a trip to florida with family in august for a couple weeks - will look to book this now :)