Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I screwed for going 75D rather than 100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve got a model X that I’m planning to pick up in about a week or two that is 75D but I’m wondering if I should’ve went for 100D. My daily commute is 150 miles from 9 o’clock in the morning to 7 o’clock at night.

When I was first researching about 75D I assumed the range would be sufficient for my daily commute. But with only charging 90% of the battery and hot weather on summer days I’m starting to wonder if 75D will be enough for my daily commute.

Can you guys tell me if I should’ve went for 100 D or if I’m more than OK with 75D.

I have a MS75D and I wish I would have gotten the 90D (largest battery at the time), but I'm content with the one I've got for now, until I can get the 100D. If you can change it at this point and afford it, do it, you will not regret it.

I have a MS75D and I wish I would have gotten the 90D (largest battery at the time), but I'm content with the one I've got for now, until I can get the 100D. If you can change it at this point and afford it, do it, you will not regret it.
I just asked my Sales Advisor and she said I should be ok with 75D and she’s scheduling a 24hour test drive for me to test my commute. But if I wanted to get 100D, the $2,500 is not transferrable and I have to pay another $2,500.

Reactions: Red5StandingBy
Is that because I cannot make the 150 miles commute on the 75D or to not have to worry about range with 100D?

The 150miles is the maximum range I would use, some days I’ll use less than 120 miles

You'll make your commute, but you would be stopping at almost every single Supercharger along your route for piece of mind. It's also just natural to develop a tendency to charge at the SC longer just because you have less range in the 75D, than what 100D drivers would experience in a 150 mile commute. Then there is time of each SC stay, which is slightly longer for 75Kwh battery cars since 100Kwh can take more energy during charge -- but the overall charge time is not that much different. What you'll notice is the frequency of SC visits on long drives vs 100D cars.

I personally would have gone with a 100D, but you can make it work. I just think your net time at SCs will be significantly longer and you will be using Range Mode a bit, but it's totally doable. You just have to be a bit more vigilant about range, especially in the winter months if you live in a cold climate. I drove a Model S 70D from TX to Michigan in Feb 2016, in 20 degree weather and snow. It was a white-knuckle terrifying affair on those 230-mile stretches between SCs (70D's range is right at that limit) -- so for my Model X order I went with 100D. Even if I never make a long-distance winter drive again, I feel better having the extra range anyway. Even so, there are more SCs now and they are usually less than 200 mi apart (on many roads, only 115 miles apart) so a 75D can work.

Last edited:
Can you not plug in at work? Even a trickle charge would add 20-30 miles while you work. If there is a supercharger on your return route you could stop in for ~5 minute boost also. You're location isn't extremely cold either. I think you will be fine. I just drove our 75D from NorCal to SoCal last week, even with Tejon Ranch being down it was not an issue at all.

You'll make your commute, but you would be stopping at almost every single Supercharger along your route for piece of mind. It's also just natural to develop a tendency to charge at the SC longer just because you have less range in the 75D, than what 100D drivers would experience in a 150 mile commute. Then there is time of each SC stay, which is slightly longer for 75Kwh battery cars since 100Kwh can take more energy during charge -- but the overall charge time is not that much different. What you'll notice is the frequency of SC visits on long drives vs 100D cars.

I personally would have gone with a 100D, but you can make it work. I just think your net time at SCs will be significantly longer and you will be using Range Mode a bit, but it's totally doable. You just have to be a bit more vigilant about range, especially in the winter months if you live in a cold climate. I drove a Model S 70D from TX to Michigan in Feb 2016, in 20 degree weather and snow. It was a white-knuckle terrifying affair on those 230-mile stretches between SCs (70D's range is right at that limit) -- so for my Model X order I went with 100D. Even if I never make a long-distance winter drive again, I feel better having the extra range anyway. Even so, there are more SCs now and they are usually less than 200 mi apart (on many roads, only 115 miles apart) so a 75D can work.
I’m not making any long range trips with my MX, we have another car for that. My main concern is can 75D make the 150 mile commute and maybe have 20 mile range left? I plan on charging every night.

Can you not plug in at work? Even a trickle charge would add 20-30 miles while you work. If there is a supercharger on your return route you could stop in for ~5 minute boost also. You're location isn't extremely cold either. I think you will be fine. I just drove our 75D from NorCal to SoCal last week, even with Tejon Ranch being down it was not an issue at all.
I wish I could, but as a multiple retail store owner, my commute consists of visiting my 3-5 stores, so not only are there no plug ins in the parking lot, I only stay for about 30 minutes.

I just asked my Sales Advisor and she said I should be ok with 75D and she’s scheduling a 24hour test drive for me to test my commute. But if I wanted to get 100D, the $2,500 is not transferrable and I have to pay another $2,500.

I say that sounds really mean. Who doesn't let you change your mind and get a much more expensive model? Would other automakers do this?

Another piece of info, is that you have to allow for Vampire Drain in your calculations. Bank on losing 5-20 miles of charge depletion a day whilst your car is sat idle (I mentioned 20 as some poor souls get that!).

Plus many experts say you should try to keep battery between 20-80% range. Some even say, do not supercharge too often! So charging to 100% on supercharger each day to achieve this sounds unrecommended.

As an almost 2 year model X 75 owner who is about to upgrade to the 100, you are not going to be happy with a 75 for that long of a commute. The model X has a higher coefficient of wind friction than the S. Highway speeds really impact range. If it’s less than 55° out and you’re going 70MPH you’re going to be sweating past 120 miles.

Looking at the teslafi leaderboard for X75 there isn’t a single instance of temp below 60, higher speed, AND net flat or elevation gain. The lowest position is 166 miles. Considering they have been gathering this data for over two years on model X’s, you can be quite sure that going 150 miles is going to often be difficult..... especially if your car is sitting during the day where it will have additional small range loss.

I’m not making any long range trips with my MX, we have another car for that. My main concern is can 75D make the 150 mile commute and maybe have 20 mile range left? I plan on charging every night.

I think you'll be fine, but range-vigilance (maybe even anxiety when traffic or weather factors come into play) will be something you might have to deal with. But, honestly, in Range Mode and not skipping any SCs along your daily route -- you're probably good. There may be times where you aren't 100% pleased with the frequency of SC stops, or longer time commuting than it would be in a 100D, but I don't think you're ever looking at being stranded or anything.

Last edited:
is the commute mostly flat or what kind of roads are we talking about here? will you be stuck in traffic or coasting at speed for the most part?

assuming your 90% will be around 210 and lets say realistically you would lose about 20% of that. you would be left with about 170 miles which is cutting it pretty close

I think you'll be fine, but range-vigilance (maybe even anxiety when traffic or weather factors come into play) will be something you might have to deal with. But, honestly, in Range Mode and not skipping any SCs along your daily route -- you're probably good. There may be times where you aren't 100% pleased with the frequency of SC stops, or longer time commuting than it would be in a 100D, but I don't think you're ever looking at being stranded or anything.
That’s the thing. Is 75D not capable of 150 miles commute without SC?

is the commute mostly flat or what kind of roads are we talking about here? will you be stuck in traffic or coasting at speed for the most part?

assuming your 90% will be around 210 and lets say realistically you would lose about 20% of that. you would be left with about 170 miles which is cutting it pretty close
Yes, Atlanta GA is mostly very flat. High 90s in summer and 30s in the winter. Morning drive will be pretty smooth, night drive back will be stuck in traffic

Reactions: Grossvater