Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I screwed for going 75D rather than 100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s the thing. Is 75D not capable of 150 miles commute without SC?

It is. If flat terrain, 70F, no wind, and staying at or under the speed limit I would wager you can get the full EPA stated range.

But usually there are one of those 4 factors going on (hills, wind, lead foot, or seasonally cold/hot temps) which will affect the range. I myself am not a very aggressive driver, and I live in TX which has mild winters and hot summers -- per my environment, in Range Mode on my 70D in winter or summer I am never skipping SCs and I am never quite seeing the full EPA range on those hot/cold/windy days. A windy day can literally shave 30+ miles from your range, even if all the other factors are perfect. This is the casewith hybrids & gas cars as well.

Last edited:
So why does 220 drop to 171? I think that’s one of my confusions. And why can’t the battery fall below 20%?

Battery can fall below 20, you just don't want to park the car and leave it with in a State of Charge (SoC) that is low for a long time. Getting near empty, or staying at full charge, for many hours can (over time) start to decrease the range of the battery. Battery health usually means at-home charging of to about 80% -- charge to 100% at Superchargers -- 80% at home or work, which keeps the battery happy and healthy long-term. People who charge to 100% all the time, and let the car sit, report decreased range within a year or so. It's rare because most people don't over charge or let their car get down under 20% or 10% for very long.

Vampire drain of a few miles while at work is typical in any EV.

I think you are cutting it real close with a 150 miles commute. City driving also consumes more energy. You’d have to drive very conservatively (60mph?) on the freeway to get the rated miles. Good luck.

So I’ve got a model X that I’m planning to pick up in about a week or two that is 75D but I’m wondering if I should’ve went for 100D. My daily commute is 150 miles from 9 o’clock in the morning to 7 o’clock at night.

When I was first researching about 75D I assumed the range would be sufficient for my daily commute. But with only charging 90% of the battery and hot weather on summer days I’m starting to wonder if 75D will be enough for my daily commute.

Can you guys tell me if I should’ve went for 100 D or if I’m more than OK with 75D.

GA stays relatively warm right?

Charging to 90% will give you 217 miles. Let's assume some degradation and say you get 205 miles @ 90%. Based on my NE usage, which experiences colder weather; I get about 85% of my rated range. That would give an actual range of 175 miles. Which means you'll be fine on your commute. You'll be left with about 15% charge remaining; which isn't too bad. But if I was in your situation; it's close enough for me to spring for the 100D - unless I knew there was superchargers along the way.

I'd try EVTripPlanner or another planner and see what it says about your specific commute. If it's not 80 MPH or freezing I would think you'd be OK. Besides charging to 90%, also consider battery degradation along with your desired remaining charge level. If you're not planning road trips, the 75D might be much more cost efficient.

My SA did say it’s $4000 off. But I’m not sure about other details such as color and etc..

Yeah that's the pain point there, color and customizations of area Inventory cars would probably be different than what you ordered. I had a friend get an Inventory Model S and did a vinyl wrap of the color he wanted and the SC changed the car color in the MCU for him. He was pretty happy. I think the only feature he was missing from his original order plan was the Inventory S didn't come with FSD, but he can activate that later on for a fee when it's worth it (FSD not worth it right now).

So why does 220 drop to 171? I think that’s one of my confusions. And why can’t the battery fall below 20%?

In terms of battery charge state please see:
Tesla battery expert recommends daily charging limit to optimize durability

You can of course do 100% - 0% but nobody really recommends that. Folk are pretty quite about what 'damage' would be done if you charge outside the limits. Mostly the battery life is reduced and the amount of charge it holds at full is reduced.

If you compare to my Li-on battery Macbook then I found after 200 cycles the capacity is reduced and then at 1000 cycles you replace.

Yeah that's the pain point there, color and customizations of area Inventory cars would probably be different than what you ordered. I had a friend get an Inventory Model S and did a vinyl wrap of the color he wanted and the SC changed the car color in the MCU for him. He was pretty happy. I think the only feature he was missing from his original order plan was the Inventory S didn't come with FSD, but he can activate that later on for a fee when it's worth it (FSD not worth it right now).
Yeah, I ordered black on black, the 100D she has available is pearl white with cream interior. The opposite of what I ordered lol. Oh and $10k more.

It'd probably not be too bad to daily charge to 95%, certainly better than daily 100%.

What kind of roads makes a big difference. Freeway speeds will start ramping up the wind resistance fast. If you're on rural roads (anything below 60 mph) with few stops, you can beat EPA rating. If traffic is slow but moving (25-40), you'll get great range.
Summer will probably be OK.
Winter may be a real problem if it does hover in the 30's and 40's, and it is likely you'll have to use a supercharger at least once during the day. Cabin heat will seriously reduce your range. This is when traffic will chew up range; because climate control energy use remains constant over time. Also with your schedule of stops, you'll be wanting to heat up the cabin often during the day which will further reduce range.

Normally I'd argue against eating the 2500 deposit, but if you end up unhappy and decide to upgrade in a few months or a year, you'll lose a lot more in depreciation. Tough decision, I wish you luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
I would recommend switching to the 100D or adding a NEMA 14-50 at the store you spend the most time at. I'm not sure why so many people are confident you'd make it 150 miles in a GA winter, but I'm almost certain you wouldn't be able to do so comfortably, even at 100% charge. That is to say you may be able to do it with range mode and no heat, but even if you can, do you want to? I picked up my MX 100D in September, and I never turned on heat when it was above 32F out, but my range was still significantly reduced anytime the temperature stayed below 40F. If you're going to have heat on driving in freezing temperatures, you could easily lose 50%, and that doesn't leave 150, much less the 20 mile buffer you want.

ETA: I'd think that as owner of these retail locations, even if they are leased, you should be able to put decent charging at one or more of them for less than upgrading to a 100D. That may even be true if you go with HPWC(s) instead of NEMA 14-50 at the location(s).

Yeah, I ordered black on black, the 100D she has available is pearl white with cream interior. The opposite of what I ordered lol. Oh and $10k more.

Yeah - too bad about the color. The $10K more for the 100Kwh battery is a steal, though. I think it's about $16500 spec'ed on the ordering tool, so that price savings on an Inventory Model X 100D might be worth it if they found your color combo. I wonder if regional Galleries & SCs can query other Gallery/SCs' inventory. You'd be eating $2500, and paying $10K-12K more -- plus a flight to pick-up the car (unless they shipped it) but even then you'd be saving around $4500 over what a new 100D would be.

A lot to think about, but ultimately I think you can make your commute with the 75D. It just will be fraught with having to think a lot and watch the range closely. Worst case, if you tire of that and having to think about each drive / monitoring your battery & range like a hawk -- you could always sell the X and switch-up in a couple years or so.

Yeah - too bad about the color. The $10K more for the 100Kwh battery is a steal, though. I think it's about $16500 spec'ed on the ordering tool, so that price savings on an Inventory Model X 100D might be worth it if they found your color combo. I wonder if regional Galleries & SCs can query other Gallery/SCs' inventory. You'd be eating $2500, and paying $10K-12K more -- plus a flight to pick-up the car (unless they shipped it) but even then you'd be saving around $4500 over what a new 100D would be.

A lot to think about, but ultimately I think you can make your commute with the 75D. It just will be fraught with having to think a lot and watch the range closely. Worst case, if you tire of that and having to think about each drive / monitoring your battery & range like a hawk -- you could always sell the X and switch-up in a couple years or so.
After all the answers here, I just called my SA and ordered the 100D. It’s actually about $20k worth of upgrade from what I had purchased with 75D, but only $10k more. In reality $200 more per month, and I can easily do that and not worry about the range. And I plan on driving this car for 6-7 years, so might as well as be safe.

*edit: Do I wish I would’ve done more research so I wouldn’t have to eat $2,500? YES. But I’m glad at least I did the research before getting the car itself.

Last edited: