Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I screwed for going 75D rather than 100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my military mind, buying the 100D X (Xena) was right on the mark. She (Xena) started out early on the Model 3 list, where I pushed and shoved my wife to get off the dime. Then the 100D was put into production and that was my tipping point. Then my real con-job began when I pushed/shoved my wife into agreeing to buy the X; i succeeded and did not become an X myself.
Bottom line the 100D meets all our demands for work and play in and around home; we three quarter charge on a daily basis. Where the 100D proved its value ($$$) was on our trip south from Olympia, WA to Mendin, NV/Fremont, CA last September. The range was desperately needed to overcome range anxiety.
We have owned Xena now for a year through rain, snow and extreme heat and I would become an X should I try prying the steering wheel of the Model X out of my wife's hands:)
You are going to love the car:)

• Funny
Reactions: croman
Chiming in a little late here, but while I would have bought the 100D, the fix I would have applied after buying the smaller car would be to either find and use a nearby L2 charger during your work day and/or install a HPWC at one or more of your stores.

I think you'd be fine with the 75D but I'm optimistic. I do agree that the 100D makes it a non-issue and the peace of mind might be worth it. The 100D is about 30kwh greater than the 75D, so its a big leap and degradation and performance of the 100 pack is substantially better than the 75 pack.

All in all, you'll like the difference but they should've given you your $2500 back. Tesla would've never done that 2 years ago to someone that wanted to upgrade to a larger battery size.

I think you'd be fine with the 75D but I'm optimistic. I do agree that the 100D makes it a non-issue and the peace of mind might be worth it. The 100D is about 30kwh greater than the 75D, so its a big leap and degradation and performance of the 100 pack is substantially better than the 75 pack.

All in all, you'll like the difference but they should've given you your $2500 back. Tesla would've never done that 2 years ago to someone that wanted to upgrade to a larger battery size.
Yeah, my SA said it was a recent change from Tesla. No longer transferring that deposit

• Informative
Reactions: croman
My first Tesla was a 2016 S75D, so a little more range the X75D. That said, If you charge up to 80-90% each night, you will be okay. The only time you should have range anxiety is when you have very cold weather move in, which should not be too often in your area. A potty stop at a Supercharger and you'll be on your way (you did use a referral code for free Supercharging, right?!).

Extreme cold can reduce range up to 50% (or more).

If you switch to a 100, another advantage is that it charges a little faster at Superchargers. If you can comfortably $witch to a 100, you will have no regrets, though I don't think it is necessary at all.

Since you are buying an inventory car, you can also consider travel to where it is and pick it up. You do need to evaluate the sales tax consequence though (example, FL charges same sales tax rate as home state for out of state purchasers and MA charges full sales tax to ANY purchaser).

We picked up our first [inventory] Tesla in West Palm Beach, FL and had an awesome trip home to NH (no sales tax in NH, therefore, no sales tax in FL!). Second Tesla (X100D) was an inventory car in MA, which was delivered at no cost to next door NH (avoiding sales tax).

Last edited:
100D all the way. 75D might work for now but what about in a few years when battery degrades a bit? Is it still enough? I guess it depends how long you plan on keeping car. Batteries do degrade over time. Especially if your having doubts even before getting car, go 100D

Charge to 90% and do 150 miles would be cutting it close (maybe about 30 miles left ~12%?) even in warm weather. In colder weather would be cutting it very close (maybe about 15 miles left ~7%?). But you could just go with 100% charge in the winter or something.

Did the Owner Advisor not ask you the length of your daily drive? That's one of the first thing ours asked when deciding between the battery size.

I have 75D. I think you will be fine, but tight. Using AC doesn’t change the range that much. Cold weather and heater is a different story. Your speed will be the major factor in consumption. 90% for me is about 211 miles by the time I get to the car in the morning. I drive about 80mph on the freeway. I would estimate me driving 80mph with AC i woukd probably get 160 actual miles. You should have about 20 miles left. If you drive slower 70mph probably 40-45.

After all the answers here, I just called my SA and ordered the 100D. It’s actually about $20k worth of upgrade from what I had purchased with 75D, but only $10k more. In reality $200 more per month, and I can easily do that and not worry about the range. And I plan on driving this car for 6-7 years, so might as well as be safe.

*edit: Do I wish I would’ve done more research so I wouldn’t have to eat $2,500? YES. But I’m glad at least I did the research before getting the car itself.

I think this is a good call -- you will enjoy the 100D, slightly faster accel and slightly shorter SC visits. You'll love it.

Is there an option to find someone to take over the purchase of the 75D so you don't lose the $2500? I don't think you would want to take delivery yourself and try to sell, as then you would take the immediate haircut - but if you can find someone looking to buy a 75D (and if Tesla would let you)? Not sure how that works, or if it is possible...

Shouldn't you just have to pay a $500 change fee at the very most to convert your current 75D order to 100D?

i think this was good move for you in the end. The 75D was perfect for me as I dont have a long daily commute and I live in So Cal., so there's charging stations everywhere around me if i need it. Maybe once or twice a month I will have 100 mile commute for work but that's no problem.
For long range family trips i still will use my old SUV so no issue there.

After all the answers here, I just called my SA and ordered the 100D. It’s actually about $20k worth of upgrade from what I had purchased with 75D, but only $10k more. In reality $200 more per month, and I can easily do that and not worry about the range. And I plan on driving this car for 6-7 years, so might as well as be safe.

*edit: Do I wish I would’ve done more research so I wouldn’t have to eat $2,500? YES. But I’m glad at least I did the research before getting the car itself.
Good decision. U won’t enjoy your 75d for 150m communte. The pressure to manage your mileage will kill the entire experience