Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I screwed for going 75D rather than 100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
use the navigation 100% of the time to predict ending percentage - you have to always do that. Range mode ON and standard braking regen always on. Drop the seat heat and even the A/C if the situation gets dire. I think you'll be OK esp if its freeway driving and youre keeping at 65 mph. Use the navi though to predict %. That being said with this being a X rather than a S I think its wise you went with the 100D.

I was really shocked the other day on MS when I stopped at restaurant with 22 miles range and reutrned 1 hr later with only 10 miles range!! I barely made it to the SC with 1 mile (which was only 5 miles away). The difference? It was cold (but not even that cold 45F) and windy outside. Cold weather really screws the range!

I say that sounds really mean. Who doesn't let you change your mind and get a much more expensive model? Would other automakers do this?

Another piece of info, is that you have to allow for Vampire Drain in your calculations. Bank on losing 5-20 miles of charge depletion a day whilst your car is sat idle (I mentioned 20 as some poor souls get that!).

Plus many experts say you should try to keep battery between 20-80% range. Some even say, do not supercharge too often! So charging to 100% on supercharger each day to achieve this sounds unrecommended.
TALK TO SOMEONE ELSE. I changed my mine from a 75d to a 100d and the down payment was transferable.

you could also charge to 100% there was a guy that has done it for years and the degradation has been about the same. the only noticeable extra wear is supercharging to 100% many times but standard 240v wall charging shouldnt matter.

with power usage ranges from 350 to 450 which is typical you will get between 190 and 150 miles assuming a 10% reserve, or run it to 0 and you'll get 210 to 170 miles.

it's doable but if 20k more upfront is not an issue then go for the 100x

The average temp here in GA during the winter is about 26 in the morning 38 during the day.
I live in Georgia as well. My daily commute is about 120 miles, round trip.

Typically, I leave home with 90% charge, and arrive home with 45-50% charge in my Model X 100D.

This winter, during cold days, I would charge above 90% in the morning to preheat the battery and heat the cabin on AC power. Many days, I would arrive home between 30-35%.

Hopefully my data points help you.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and SWCF
I live in Georgia as well. My daily commute is about 120 miles, round trip.

Typically, I leave home with 90% charge, and arrive home with 45-50% charge in my Model X 100D.

This winter, during cold days, I would charge above 90% in the morning to preheat the battery and heat the cabin on AC power. Many days, I would arrive home between 30-35%.

Hopefully my data points help you.

With that usage a 75D would be fine too. But a 100D gives you more flexibility if there are no superchargers around. Personally I'm glad I went with the 75D, but I think in the OP's shoes I would have gone with the 100D too. 150 miles without a supercharger would require some careful management with a 75D, but 120 miles is easy enough.