TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Am I screwed?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by cadurney, Jul 7, 2018.

1. cadurney

cadurney Member

Has anyone had their S survive a wreck that set off the airbags? A 19-year-old pulled a U-Turn on a city street and hit my beautiful car.

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

:(...sorry to hear that ...it really depends on your insurance if they will total car ...I wouldn’t be surprised if your damages are more than 20k

3. legend502

legend502 Member

Post pics! sorry to hear that

4. demundus

demundus Member

There is very little correlation to airbags and total-loss.

Most predictive programs use several more variables to preemptively total a car, including but not limited to (im doing this by memory sorry):

• Glass
    • Injury
    • Death
    • Airbags
    • Fluid leakage
    • Fire
    • Theft
    • Vandalism
    • Act of God
    • Collision type
    • Primary impact
    • Secondary impact
    • Drivable (tow needed)
    • Car age
    Almost all insurers use a predictive program to save cycle time, otherwise you're at the mercy of the body shop, and the insurer's total loss threshold (typically 65-80% of residual depending on the insurer)

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  5. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Glad you are okay and I hope it works out for you.

6. Rahul

Rahul Member

Yes but might take a while...

A610321D-A224-42A7-90BD-5BC19C87A49D.jpeg

7. cadurney

cadurney Member

The kid pulled out from a south-pointing parking spot. I saw him and figured he was going to continue south so I veered into the clear on-coming lane. Nope. He pulls a u-turn with a 1999 Beemer right into Buddy.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  8. David.85D

David.85D Member

Given the delays getting parts, having it totaled and getting fair value to actually replace it with a similar used one (with warranty) may not be a bad outcome.

Plenty of stories of 6 to 12 month delay on key parts.

• Like x 1
  9. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I would push to total it ...obviously body shop will want to repair as they would lose revenue if they didn’t ..if u do decide to repair I would go for diminished value claim ...your damage looks greater than 20k tho

10. legend502

legend502 Member

If Not total definitely dimishing value claim and loss of use claim

11. demundus

demundus Member

Likely not a total loss, but... you'll be without the car for quite a bit. Depending on your personal situation, you should REALLY try to secure as much of a rental as possible... this will factor in to their total loss calculations and can help move the needle sometimes.

PS: I guess probably around 27-32K worth of damage there.

12. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

Looks like you hit the poor kid. Why mention his age or car?
    I guess its ok for old guys in once fancy cars to cross solid lines and drive on the shoulder or into on-coming traffic.

• Like x 1
  13. cadurney

cadurney Member

Are you serious? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?

• Disagree x 1
  14. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

OP did u have dash cam?

15. cadurney

cadurney Member

I will now.

• Love x 1
  16. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

OP depending on mileage and year of car ..good chance just get them to total ...I see new fender , bumper , hood , headlights 3 airbags ..radiator ...possible AC , rim , half shaft etc ...be pushy with adjuster ...just not worth to fix that ...also check out St Lucie Appraisal ..he specializes in DV claims for Tesla’s

17. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

18. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I wonder if that’s why insurance rates for teslas are going up, everyone is too quick to total their vehicles and move onto a new one. In the end we all pay for it

• Like x 2
  19. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

My Tesla insurance rate has been the same with USAA.....I have had other MB , BMWs hit and with a high price car ..you can never get repairs correct ...I have spent more money on auto insurance than have taken out...the suggestion to ask for a car to be totaled ultimately it’s up to the individual ...in my instances I found it to be worthwhile

• Like x 1
  20. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I had to renew my policy with AAA and it went up by 600 dollars per year. No big deal but according to my agent and it’s not official or anything but he said the reason could very well be the higher cost of dealing with teslas

That’s why I’m so upset that tesla still chooses to only allow “certified” shops to do body work. Those shops basically have carte blanche to charge whatever they feel like because in some areas they’re the only shop in town.

Makes no sense, if understand if it was something drive train related but body work? Every shop can do that, and if they can’t they wouldn’t be in business/ /rant

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1