Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I screwed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had their S survive a wreck that set off the airbags? A 19-year-old pulled a U-Turn on a city street and hit my beautiful car.

There is very little correlation to airbags and total-loss.

Most predictive programs use several more variables to preemptively total a car, including but not limited to (im doing this by memory sorry):

• Glass
  • Injury
  • Death
  • Airbags
  • Fluid leakage
  • Fire
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Act of God
  • Collision type
  • Primary impact
  • Secondary impact
  • Drivable (tow needed)
  • Car age
Almost all insurers use a predictive program to save cycle time, otherwise you're at the mercy of the body shop, and the insurer's total loss threshold (typically 65-80% of residual depending on the insurer)

Yes but might take a while...

A610321D-A224-42A7-90BD-5BC19C87A49D.jpeg

I would push to total it ...obviously body shop will want to repair as they would lose revenue if they didn’t ..if u do decide to repair I would go for diminished value claim ...your damage looks greater than 20k tho

The kid pulled out from a south-pointing parking spot. I saw him and figured he was going to continue south so I veered into the clear on-coming lane. Nope. He pulls a u-turn with a 1999 Beemer right into Buddy.

Likely not a total loss, but... you'll be without the car for quite a bit. Depending on your personal situation, you should REALLY try to secure as much of a rental as possible... this will factor in to their total loss calculations and can help move the needle sometimes.

PS: I guess probably around 27-32K worth of damage there.

The kid pulled out from a south-pointing parking spot. I saw him and figured he was going to continue south so I veered into the clear on-coming lane. Nope. He pulls a u-turn with a 1999 Beemer right into Buddy.

Looks like you hit the poor kid. Why mention his age or car?
I guess its ok for old guys in once fancy cars to cross solid lines and drive on the shoulder or into on-coming traffic.

Reactions: P85_DA
OP depending on mileage and year of car ..good chance just get them to total ...I see new fender , bumper , hood , headlights 3 airbags ..radiator ...possible AC , rim , half shaft etc ...be pushy with adjuster ...just not worth to fix that ...also check out St Lucie Appraisal ..he specializes in DV claims for Tesla’s

I would push to total it ...obviously body shop will want to repair as they would lose revenue if they didn’t ..if u do decide to repair I would go for diminished value claim ...your damage looks greater than 20k tho
I wonder if that’s why insurance rates for teslas are going up, everyone is too quick to total their vehicles and move onto a new one. In the end we all pay for it

My Tesla insurance rate has been the same with USAA.....I have had other MB , BMWs hit and with a high price car ..you can never get repairs correct ...I have spent more money on auto insurance than have taken out...the suggestion to ask for a car to be totaled ultimately it’s up to the individual ...in my instances I found it to be worthwhile

Reactions: davidc18
My Tesla insurance rate has been the same with USAA.....I have had other MB , BMWs hit and with a high price car ..you can never get repairs correct ...I have spent more money on auto insurance than have taken out...the suggestion to ask for a car to be totaled ultimately it’s up to the individual ...in my instances I found it to be worthwhile
I had to renew my policy with AAA and it went up by 600 dollars per year. No big deal but according to my agent and it’s not official or anything but he said the reason could very well be the higher cost of dealing with teslas

That’s why I’m so upset that tesla still chooses to only allow “certified” shops to do body work. Those shops basically have carte blanche to charge whatever they feel like because in some areas they’re the only shop in town.

Makes no sense, if understand if it was something drive train related but body work? Every shop can do that, and if they can’t they wouldn’t be in business/ /rant