Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I screwed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if that’s why insurance rates for teslas are going up, everyone is too quick to total their vehicles and move onto a new one. In the end we all pay for it

Generally speaking, "we" can't affect the outcome of the total loss valuation, if thats what you were implying. You can say certain things like "i dont feel safe in this vehicle, i would prefer it totaled" and other high pressure phrases to get the insurer to act... but its a crap shoot.

However, if you were referring to insurance companies totaling the $hit out of these cars, you would be right. The cycle time is just TRASH when it comes to cost recovery. Teslas are totaled at significantly higher rate than any other production car on the road. That fact alone feeds into actuary calculations and drives the quotes we get. Viscous cycle, automation begets more automation until its nearly unrealistic to own/insure/repair the car.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
OP personally I wouldn’t use the language u used on this post for a report “.... I saw him and figured he was going to continue south so I veered into the clear on-coming lane”

This is easy language for other insurance to say they are not liable ...just say “...I got hit ...” ;)

OP personally I wouldn’t use the language u used on this post for a report “.... I saw him and figured he was going to continue south so I veered into the clear on-coming lane”

This is easy language for other insurance to say they are not liable ...just say “...I got hit ...” ;)

Aw man, honesty is rare enough, don’t encourage folks lie.

I am curious to see what happens. It don’t seem like what he says will matter much. Not hoping for bad outcomes or anything but this seems like one of those accidents that happen and you look at the laws and can see why you aren’t supposed to pass on the shoulder or cross solid lines let alone a double yellow and stay in your lane. Everyone can do what the like but I think he would still have his car had he not crossed into the oncoming lane. People passing folks trying to park or make a turn and causing an accident is like a thing.

@Tanquen I get it ..typically in accident scenario let the insurance or police sort it out .. there are many things to infer from the pics and statements which is why I personally would be careful with language given...saying “...I figured..” is basically saying you are at fault :(

Someone I know insured their ferrari for more than they bought it for. He bought it for $190k and insured it for $220k.

He got into a pretty bad accident and the car was completely demolished. Insurance paid him $220k.
I had never heard of this before and was wondering if anyone can shed light on it? How much would it cost to insure the car for the full value I paid in case something happens?

Thoughts?

Someone I know insured their Ferrari for more than they bought it for. He bought it for $190k and insured it for $220k.

He got into a pretty bad accident and the car was completely demolished. Insurance paid him $220k.
I had never heard of this before and was wondering if anyone can shed light on it? How much would it cost to insure the car for the full value I paid in case something happens?

Thoughts?

Very common on exotic cars ... it's called agreed value insurance :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: BigTonyTones
Sorry if I’ve got it wrong but from the pictures and your own account, you’re at fault. You seem to be blaming the “kid” and acting like kids driving old cars are always at fault or something.
Tanquen, let me be clear. The other driver performed an illegal maneuver and hit me. I did all I could to avoid contact, but the other person's ILLEGAL u-turn on a city street caused the crash. That person received a citation. I was not a fault in any way shape or form. The, comparatively, minor damage on my car is a testament to my strong effort to avoid any contact. In this case, you are mistaken. As for the 'kid' comment, I'll give you that one as people of all ages make mistakes. However, I mentioned it only because the other driver actually ran up to me screaming that he was "just a 19-year-old kid." I hope this clears up any misunderstanding. Have a nice day.

Tanquen, let me be clear. The other driver performed an illegal maneuver and hit me. I did all I could to avoid contact, but the other person's ILLEGAL u-turn on a city street caused the crash. That person received a citation. I was not a fault in any way shape or form. The, comparatively, minor damage on my car is a testament to my strong effort to avoid any contact. In this case, you are mistaken. As for the 'kid' comment, I'll give you that one as people of all ages make mistakes. However, I mentioned it only because the other driver actually ran up to me screaming that he was "just a 19-year-old kid." I hope this clears up any misunderstanding. Have a nice day.
"I was not a fault in any way shape or form." Hmm... If you were in the correct lane and he just pushed into the side of you from the side of the road, I'd be on board.

Your car is maybe totaled so I'm not seeing the, "strong effort to avoid any contact." or minor damage. This doesn't seem to be a case of following the rules and defensive driving.

It doesn't always 100% totally matter if they were performing an illegal maneuver first. Did he see you and then try to ram you? You saw him, right? You were approaching him from behind? Making calculations on what he was going to do and when? Was he stalled in the right lane with his emergency flashers on waving you to go around? You went into oncoming lane crossing double yellow line and tried to pass him. That's an illegal (ON CITY STREETS) move. You are at fault. Hundred percent at fault? Fine, you're not 100% at fault. It wouldn't have happend if you had just waited and not illegally passed him. Or is it not illegal to pass somebody going into the oncoming lane with a solid double yellow line where this happened? It should be. The damage doesn't look minor, it looks like the kind of damage if you were both moving not if you were just idling in the lane next to him as he looked at you and pushed into the side of you while trying to make a u-turn. Did he gun it tires squealing?

At least you tried to take accountability for the kid remark but it sounds like you're trying to assign blame based on something other then what happened.

It's not a big deal, everyone makes mistakes. I just think the insurance would be way cheaper if everybody just took a breath and was careful and followed the rules however silly they are and drove defensively.

Good day to you sir... I said good day!