Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the exception since I have always had a great service experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had great service... above and beyond expectations at Rocklin, CA, Palo Alto, CA and mobile service (out of the Gigafactory).
My car is five years old now and haven't had much need for service but these people have all been great.

I have had outstanding service for almost ten years now. Mainly from the Minneapolis (Eden Prairie) service center, but also Rangers, and once a service center on the North side of LA.

This was with both minor and early on, major issues. Sadly, I don't see the service guys and gals nearly as much as I used to. While that is a good thing in terms of reliability, I miss them ;)

Reactions: aerodyne
Two services in the last 4 months. Both times staff were polite. Both times repairs were performed poorly and car had to be returned. First time on a flatbed.

got a loaner once out of maybe six service visits...

Do you want to discuss them telling me flat out they don’t sell or install door handle gears anymore than having the ranger come out and put one in my car 3 days later?

I think part of having a good service experience has to do with being proactive, understanding the process, and making positive relationships with the employees. If you believe there are weak points in the service process, why not take steps yourself to counteract them before a problem happens? There are usually solutions that we can influence for better outcomes.

Oh I have tried. Delivered donuts, champagne bottles, whatever I can think of.

Still they will ignore your emails when you need assistance.

I think they are just overworked, understaffed and overwhelmed so I don;t think they are doing this on purpose.

It's crazy how Doordash provides customer support over the phone to resolve issues for a $15 hamburger order but we can;t find someone to speak to for a car costing around $100K.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Oh I have tried. Delivered donuts, champagne bottles, whatever I can think of.

Still they will ignore your emails when you need assistance.

I think they are just overworked, understaffed and overwhelmed so I don;t think they are doing this on purpose.

It's crazy how Doordash provides customer support over the phone to resolve issues for a $15 hamburger order but we can;t find someone to speak to for a car costing around $100K.

Sorry to hear it, PhilDavid. I think one of the best things Tesla can do as they continue to mature is to provide further standardization of their processes and operations for more consistency, efficiency, and better customer experience. Many on the forum say great things about service and service centers, and others not so much. I think there is an opportunity for Tesla to pay for standardization efforts through efficiency gains, but it takes focus and determination to make it happen. Hang in there, hopefully your experience improves.

You're not the exception. You're likely the rule. I've had great service for the seven years and 130K miles I've had my S. Problem is on forums like this, mostly complaints get aired. And typically, the same complaint gets aired many times so it looks far worse than it really is. Sometimes there are non-owners that complain for a variety of reasons.

You're not the exception. You're likely the rule. I've had great service for the seven years and 130K miles I've had my S. Problem is on forums like this, mostly complaints get aired. And typically, the same complaint gets aired many times so it looks far worse than it really is. Sometimes there are non-owners that complain for a variety of reasons.

The problem with the current system is that if the person responsible for replying to text messages drops the ball, there is no way to escalate a concern.

So if you have to deal with a well-executed SC, you won;t have any issues.

On the other hand if you have to deal with a SC that has no accountability and whoever that is supposed to read and respond to text messages decides not to do so, you have no recourse. Even a SC that currently works well could end up providing poor service if their resources get stretched too thin.

Speaking of non-owners, I wonder about that for people who constantly make excuses and pretend like this text message based service experience where there is no way to escalate a concern or speak with a human being is so wonderful. :rolleyes:

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
I have to chime in and say that I've always had pleasant experiences with all NJ SCs. There's a lot of negativity on this forum, but as others have said, it's unlikely that people will post when everything works as it should, so you see a skewed representation of what's actually happening.

That said, at the rate they're selling cars, they definitely do need to expand the SCs pretty rapidly - without showrooms perhaps, to avoid questionable laws in states that limit sales.

I have to chime in and say that I've always had pleasant experiences with all NJ SCs. There's a lot of negativity on this forum, but as others have said, it's unlikely that people will post when everything works as it should, so you see a skewed representation of what's actually happening.

That said, at the rate they're selling cars, they definitely do need to expand the SCs pretty rapidly - without showrooms perhaps, to avoid questionable laws in states that limit sales.
As far as I know, most of the service centres have been separated from the stores and galleries. Even the SCs that had galleries had them removed. I suppose there are a few where the SC is in a prime location that the store or gallery may still exist.

Thanks @murse, good post !

Same here, and just commenting to add the Belgian Zaventem SC on the list where I get excellent service since 2015.
I feel always welcome there, and almost look forward to the next visit, which is at least twice a year for switching winter/summer wheels.

Also appreciate the venue, where I'm always welcome to make use of their private office to work (lots of confcalls).

@Jaciee : see, there are still positive threads :)

Just to begin, I have only dealt with the Columbus Ohio service center. And I know thats going to be the main reason since every SC is different. I have come to know Dan and Scott quite well. I cant praise them both enough.

I have 12 invoices saved on my phone from different visits and I know thats not close to all of them. Most of these have been for minor issues like a squeaking brake pedal to which they replaced the brake master cylinder, the passenger footwell light working intermittently, charge port LEDs not fully working, etc.

There have been a few 'major' issues and they were always able to get me in right away and out in a loaner. The 3 last minute service visits that I can think of off hand are the cracked air suspension distribution block, broken window regulator, and the dead MCU.

The air suspension failed on my way out of my neighborhood, so the front was completely dropped. I called roadside who was not sure how long it would take to get a tow truck out and asked if it could still be driven. I was able to drive it in and the guys were able to get me in a loaner and get the suspension fixed by that afternoon. The distribution block had cracked (this was winter '18-19).

That same winter when it was -10F the window regulator broke. I made an appointment on my phone through the app for a few days later. the next day the window was partly down and would no longer go back up, and on top of that is was supposed to snow and my appointment wasn't until 2 days later. Also I live in an apartment so she sleeps outside. I called them to see if I could drop it off early so it could be kept inside. They said absolutely and that the regulator had been ordered and should arrive the next day (before my scheduled appt).

Next was the MCU. This was also the first service appt where i was no longer covered by my CPO warranty. I left a VM that morning and Scott called me back about 45 min. later and said they could get me in right away with a loaner. later that afternoon they after not being able to get it to boot they gave me options (see thread) . But then came the issues with the LTE not connecting at all or taking a while (20 min+) to connect. We discussed everything through email as they were trying to diagnose over the air. I had to bring it in and they replaced the whole connectivity board with a new unit. When I left, it was working. The following day was Saturday and on my way to the store I noticed no cellular connection again. So I stopped in and Dan said that they will now have to get an engineer involved since this is visit #3 for this issue. We set an appointment for later that week and they figured out the problem with the sim and replaced it same day.

Every visit I have had was pleasant and you can tell that both of them care about fixing whatever issue it is as fast as possible. They have always scheduled me when there was a loaner available. They have always been very accommodating. Dan said Columbus has half the amount of loaners as Cincinnati and that makes it really difficult for them. But they have Uber credits to give out if they need to. They are not a slow service center either but its not as busy as what California has.

Maybe its because I'm pretty laid back or because I understand the *sugar* that the service advisors deal with since I used to sell cars at a Toyota dealership. But I have had great experiences every time. And it's only because of Dan and Scott that I have no worries about getting another Tesla or encouraging others to buy one.

Had these experiences been different, I would have probably jumped ship to another brand just to not deal with it. But I don't dread if my car needs service.

I feel like I'm rambling at this point! lol

I wish everybody had the experiences as I have had. Maybe Tesla should take notes from Columbus and apply them everywhere!

The question to ask is why were there so many visits to the service center? The best service center is the one that you rarely need to use. Otherwise, the quality of the vehicle is not up to par.

• Disagree
Reactions: SilverGS
The question to ask is why were there so many visits to the service center? The best service center is the one that you rarely need to use. Otherwise, the quality of the vehicle is not up to par.
So your saying there is a perfect vehicle out there that doesn't need service or the occasional visit to the service center? Where would you suggest we take our TESLAS for recall or warranty work?