Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one getting the car so quickly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Non-owner and non-day1(day 2...), received the invite on 06/27 and configured the same day, received an email from sales on 06/29, VIN assigned and delivery scheduled on 07/02 and I got my car on 07/08 in Fremont, CA.

Although I'm very happy about the quick process, I felt this is a little bit too fast. Anyone else had same experience? One of my friends who placed reservation on day1 is still waiting for the sales email. The only difference is he ordered white color but mine is grey.

Reactions: privater
Color will make all the difference. Very few white cars in pictures of M3's at the delivery centers. (Probably because they are (were) having issues with the paint quality). What is the VIN number? It could have been a car that somebody cancelled on, and you matched the profile for that build.

I reserved 4/5/2016 (day 6?), got invite 6/27 and configured, call from Tesla 6/29. I picked up my car 7/9. It seems crazy how quickly it happened considering the delivery estimate said September at the earliest (and my charging situation is still not set at home) but I couldn't be happier that I have the car.

Non-owner, Early Day 2 (April 1, 2016) reservation, home address is about a 10 minute drive from the Fremont factory. I got the config invite on 6/27 and configured same day. However, still awaiting sales email with VIN info. I have all the green check marks (cash/no-trade in), but can still see the edit button when I switch back from "no trade-in" to "trade-in".

It is because I ordered white. LR RWD, Aero, NO Autopilot may also come into play (On Troy's spreadsheet, I'm the only one with that combo who configured on 6/27 in Silicon Valley/Bay Area -- not Sacramento/Roseville/Rocklin). The other multicoat paint color, red, was also in short supply at the initial floodgate opening, so those who ordered red are also waiting. I think if I selected MSM or Blue, I would have gotten the car by now. I was originally thinking blue but went for white. However, from recent posts it appears that a new batch of multicoat red/white colored cars are now coming off the line and being assigned to owners.

Also, for some reason I was not able to select the Fremont delivery center to pick up the car. I could only select "home delivery." Maybe that is another reason for the delay -- they got to allocate delivery trucks. I'd rather pick it up at the delivery center so I can point out any defects to fix before I drive it off the lot.

OP, how far is your home address from the Fremont factory?

I have a feeling you were fortunate to pick a car that was "stockpiled" at the Factory while holding back product so as not to exceed 200,000 cars in June. At my company, Silver cars were by far the least popular color, and if Tesla happened to manufacture a lot of them in May or June, you might have gotten lucky if you asked for a Silver car ... Not many people pay for FSD and so if you asked for FSD before the end of June, you were the highest-profit customer that Tesla could serve. Thank the FSD option for getting you the car soon quickly!

From what I'm seeing, all these quick deliveries are RWD cars and that supports the theory that inventory has been stockpiled. I image that EAP/FSD doesn't figure in it all since every Tesla has the capability and enabling is a programming function and not manufacturing. I ordered on June 28 (AWD and red) and have a Sept-Nov delivery estimate to the Rocklin SC. Hoping for sooner...

I’ve got a similar story. Not a past owner, reserved April 3rd 2016, got the configure invite on June 27th and configured right away. Configuration stated it would be ready in 3-5 months.

Got an email that “Your Tesla is almost ready” on July 2nd and the call to schedule the pick up on July 5th. Just picked it up yesterday.

We got:
LR, RWD
Midnight Silver
18'' aeros
premium interior, black
EAP

We live in Sacramento and picked up in Rocklin. They said they were delivering about 30 per day for the past week and a half.

Loving the car and we’ve got several long road trips in the plans to test it out.

xpitxbullx, yes, and you can guy ESP or FSD in the future but it's at a marked up rate (at least a $1000 more).

I reserved in January 2018, configured on 6/27/18 and had an initially delivery window of Sep-Nov '18. Today my delivery window was accelerated to Oct-Aug '18.

Pearl White
18 Aero
PUP (I think it's funny people list this. We all have PUP...).

Color will make all the difference. Very few white cars in pictures of M3's at the delivery centers. (Probably because they are (were) having issues with the paint quality). What is the VIN number? It could have been a car that somebody cancelled on, and you matched the profile for that build.

It's 40xxx, pretty new, I saw a bunch of 3xxx in the delivery center.

Non-owner, Early Day 2 (April 1, 2016) reservation, home address is about a 10 minute drive from the Fremont factory. I got the config invite on 6/27 and configured same day. However, still awaiting sales email with VIN info. I have all the green check marks (cash/no-trade in), but can still see the edit button when I switch back from "no trade-in" to "trade-in".

It is because I ordered white. LR RWD, Aero, NO Autopilot may also come into play (On Troy's spreadsheet, I'm the only one with that combo who configured on 6/27 in Silicon Valley/Bay Area -- not Sacramento/Roseville/Rocklin). The other multicoat paint color, red, was also in short supply at the initial floodgate opening, so those who ordered red are also waiting. I think if I selected MSM or Blue, I would have gotten the car by now. I was originally thinking blue but went for white. However, from recent posts it appears that a new batch of multicoat red/white colored cars are now coming off the line and being assigned to owners.

Also, for some reason I was not able to select the Fremont delivery center to pick up the car. I could only select "home delivery." Maybe that is another reason for the delay -- they got to allocate delivery trucks. I'd rather pick it up at the delivery center so I can point out any defects to fix before I drive it off the lot.

OP, how far is your home address from the Fremont factory?

My home is very close to the delivery center, about 15min drive. Regarding the delivery option, I actually chose "home delivery" initially but still got contacted by the sales person. I then asked him to change the delivery option to Fremont delivery center. Guessing your color choice played a big role here.

BTW, my friend just noticed that he's able to start the loan process, guess this is a sign of delivery approaching.

Reactions: costpermille