TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Am I the only one to unlucky enough to wreck my MS twice?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by GasKilla, Mar 12, 2018.

1. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

l was rear ended last year (not my fault and car was in the shop for 6+ weeks) and just today I hit a guy making an illegal U turn right in front of me. Don't know how long this repair is going to take. No real injuries in either accident but I'm super annoyed to go through the repair process again ... anyone else have similar luck?

• Disagree x 1
  2. P85Dave

P85Dave Member

Time to trade in your Tesla for a faster Tesla... May help avoid certain rear end accidents at least :)

3. GasKilla

The instant acceleration is a double edge sword, don't think the guy making the illegal U turn knew how fast I could make a right turn into him

4. phaduman

phaduman Supporting Member

sorry to hear about your ordeal - two times indeed sucks!! Hope this time it is faster! Glad no one was hurt. My windows were smashed (theft) and I feel the pain to give the car 9-days to repair those!!

• Like x 1
  5. GasKilla

6. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

I wonder where was Tesla's collision avoidance system in this scenario:

Or even:

7. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

So sorry to hear, as I've had to go through the same thing myself. Honestly if this were me, I'd consider ordering a Model 3 (or inventory S/X) while the S gets fixed! The delivery dates for S/X are pushed back to June/July, possibly due to an interior refresh (maybe you could trade up later?) It will sadly take longer to fix the S than build an entire new car...

8. GasKilla

That's a nice idea but unfortunately finances don't allow another $60k+ car right now (before anyone says anything the only M3 you can order right now is the long range premium, so with the configuration I like and taxes etc you are looking at $60k+ out the door.)

9. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Our S has been rear ended three times. All three we had been stationary for a while, not a sudden stop. $1500 - $4500 each.

Distracted, entitled, uncaring, disrespectful drivers abound.

10. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Active Member

the first year of owning my p90d i was rear ended at lunch on a monday.
    then again on wed... my insurance rep asked if i was having a bad week.

after being in the body shop for a month, the first thing i did upon receiving my car was rip out the interior panels and wire up my rear dash cam.

11. GasKilla

What dash cam did you put in?

12. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Active Member

the normal blackvue 2 channel deal. i like the front cam and the phone app but the rear cam is pretty crappy. i hear that the thinkview has a better front and rear sensor but i dont think you can do on the fly wireless playback of videos...

• Informative x 1
  13. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Respect the mods stay on topic

My car was hit twice last year while standing still. At three months old and five months old. I got a good lawyer to fight the evil third party insurance companies, and make everything right.

• Like x 1
  14. phaduman

Two diff things. Uncorked - Tesla pushed OTA update to increase 0-60 for MS75D cars by a second.

HEPA filter upgrade - facelift MS cars have all the provision to add factory or 3rd party HEPA filters for the cabin air. I did the mod myself based on excellent posts in this great forum. $150 for factory filter. Worth every penny.

15. phaduman

I have thinkview 770 dual 1080p and love it. Press the Wi-Fi button, then connect the mobile app to the 770, and then from the app you can see live view as well as recorded videos without downloading them. App gives you option to download/export etc.

Blackvue “round” housing is more stealth - but thinkview 770 has more usable features I think. Both are great choices. The 1080p rear is a must-have, so many rear-end accidents or simple parking thefts caught on rear camera.

16. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Active Member

i had purchased my first blackvue before the thinkview option came out. looked into it for the model s but figured i would just stick to a product i know and have no issues with. if i have to replace one of mine i might make the switch.

17. voidptr

voidptr Member

I had a deer run into the driver's side front quarter panel and doors after about 6 months of ownership in December of 2013, then last April a distracted driver ran a stop in a parking lot and hit the passenger side at the rear wheels and quarter panel. 4-5 weeks in the shop and just under $10k each.

18. GasKilla

Crazy that I'm not the only one ...

19. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Several years ago - I was stopped at a red light in our 2012 S P85, in the left turn lane, along with a lot of other traffic also stopped waiting for the light to turn green. While I was stopped, I was rear-ended by someone cutting across lanes, trying to get into the left turn lane - damaging the passenger rear portion of the bumper.

A week later, I was stopped at a different light - in the middle of a long line of 3 lanes of traffic also waiting for the light to turn green. As I was inching forward (along with the other traffic), the car behind me accelerated and hit me full-on the rear bumper.

It took months for the body shop to get a replacement bumper from Tesla - and since then, haven't had another accident.

20. GasKilla

Good to know I'm not alone in the bad luck department. Waiting for parts is never fun, but guess it's good I live in LA and the shop I'm using only repairs Teslas and stocks all the common parts.