Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one who couldn't care less if my Model 3 headliner is cloth instead of fake suede?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as they can determine if they A) care a lot, B) could care less because they only care some, or C) couldn't care less because they don't care at all.....no, no one is right nor wrong.
Exactly. No one is right or wrong.

With that said......lets all just let the comments flow whether you disagree or not.

Should Tesla listen? Indeed. They should listen to those who don't care at all as well as to those who do.

Who knows?... Maybe in the future Tesla would think twice before changing something that may cause issues without informing their customer base.

I’ve seen in some posts people waking up to this being a bait-and-switch, class actionable, and some are noting possibly criminal situation.

They’re missing how wide the deception from Tesla is, and on far more important issues than headliner.

How about the battery size and the range of these cars? Just a little important in an EV, right?

Tesla lies to us here. Elon explicitly tweeted the Model 3 cannot have a battery size larger than 75 kWh. What are they shipping? 80.5 kWh. If that’s not bad enough, apparently the usable capacity is 78.2 kWh. Yup even the usable capacity is more than the 75 kWh pack size Elon told us was the limit.

Tesla even was so bold as to blatantly change EPA numbers on range. EPA range rating on the LR Mod 3? 334 miles. Yet Tesla somehow got the EPA to suppress those numbers and make the public rating 310 miles.

Ugh, that confounded showy handling!!!

Tesla never gave us any warning that the Model 3 would have handling that makes us look like we think we’re better than people with BMW 3 series, Mercedes C class, etc. I was told about an EV with good (but not too good!) range, not a hedonistic driving experience that’s going to shake up people’s ideas about the kind of performance possible that in this class of car. If this thing was going to be saddled with the handling of a BMW M3, Tesla should of told us in advance. Get it straight Elon, learn to underpromise and overdeliver.

Don’t get me started on the trunk opening!

Tesla quite clearly showed us a trunk opening at the reveal that was compact and modest. Now review after review comments on the oddity of the trunk opening that is disturbingly almost hatchback wide. It’s not just making the car less appealing, it’s this pattern of not even telling us they might deliver something other than what we were shown.

0-60 times which Tesla had to know some car shoppers obsess over?

Now that the car is getting out to more than Tesla/SpaceX employees, this looks like yet another bait-and-switch. That 5.1 second 0-60 they promised? Multiple reports using VBOXs of the actual time being on the other, the wrong, side of 5 seconds.

How many times has Tesla told us they’d learn from the Model X and not try to add too much tech into the Model 3?

This brings us to windshield-wiper-gate. We all saw the videos of the first couple thousand Model 3s. We all saw Tesla kept the control of those wipers to the driver only... no over-techy programming having the car try to handle the rain for you. Changed. Not only changed without advance notice, changed on those first few thousand cars already built and already enjoyed without this nonsense via an OTA update.

Look I get that some people like the look of the alacantara and prefer that it be there. From the photos I’ve seen, I think I’m one of them myself. I’m not saying anyone should not give their feedback. I just wonder about adding to feedback and seeking a response from Tesla to their concerns, ideas like outrage, intent to exploit the customer, criminality, etc.

I care, it's one of the materials that made the car unique. I wanted something different than every non luxury car I own. But now the headliner (and doors) will look exactly the same as the car I am getting rid of for it.. Now it does not mean I will cancel my order and Tesla probably figured as much, because it's not like the chevy bolt or leaf or other electric cars have Synthetic Suede either. But it was one of the things I pictured in my head that made my hang onto my reservation. The more of this that happens the less reasons there will be to pickup a model 3 over the others that will be coming out shortly. But when your the only game in town you can get away with things and people will tolerate it.

The interior is so minimalistic that this is kinda of lame. If it is going to have the minimalistic look the materials should be nice looking.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Care Chart.jpg

I guess I'm somewhere near one of those arrows.

I'm definitely not at the "not at all" level because I'm willing to read a 20+ page thread about it.

With all the obsessive reading and speculating I've done about seemly every aspect of the Model 3 over the last few years it never occurred to me to even wonder what the material on the inside of the roof would be. The first I found out that any Model 3's had Alcantara was in the thread reporting that some didn't. It sounds like the inside of the roof will be basically the same or slightly nicer than my current Model S that I paid 90K for. I'm definitely not fussed.

Mentioned last night to my husbnad that alcantara was gone even from the S&Xs and that our Model 3 wouldn't have it and he said he didn't care and actually wasn't a fan of it. Personally I like the feel of it but not the reason I'm getting the car. Plan to stop in the Stanford Shopping Center Tesla showroom to see the Model 3 on display there in the next week or so and will be able to get a feel for the new liner.

Reactions: bonnie
Very upset. This is one more thing that seems to magically disappear from the PUP.
First we lose leather seating surfaces, then we lose rear seat heaters, now alcantara headliners ... what's next?

I already thought the $5k was too much for what you get. Maybe they should stop providing an all-in "package" that they short-change and start doing like other manufacturers do with these interior option packages.

Very upset. This is one more thing that seems to magically disappear from the PUP.
First we lose leather seating surfaces, then we lose rear seat heaters, now alcantara headliners ... what's next?

I already thought the $5k was too much for what you get. Maybe they should stop providing an all-in "package" that they short-change and start doing like other manufacturers do with these interior option packages.

Actually the alcantara was not part of the PUP package on our Model S when we ordered last year. Listed as "included" on our vehicle confirmation. On the design center choices it was always included in the seat choice you got to configure. We have no seat choice on the Model 3.

Last edited:
Actually the alcantara was not part of the PUP package on our Model S when we ordered last year. Listed as "included" on our vehicle confirmation. On the design center choices it was always included in the seat choice you got to configure. We have no seat choice on the Model 3.

I don't follow your reference to the Model S PUP, unless you're trying to say it wasn't listed in the PUP.

The Model 3 PUP's first line explaining what you get:
"Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs"

Since then, we now get "Vegen Seating" ... translation: Vinyl seats, No support for rear seat heaters found in the rear seats and headliner material that looks like my '08 civic Si (which actually had alcantara interior pieces).
So where does that leave us with the "premium heated seating and cabin materials"?

My understanding from another thread is that there are rear heated seats that will be activated with an OTA update. I didn't get that directly from Tesla, so, perhaps you have something more definitive from Tesla you can share.

As to leather seats, I'm surprised to hear that Tesla may have ever said that the Model 3 would have them. I guess I many have missed their saying so, is their a reference to that you can share? fwiw, Tesla went all vegan last summer on all their cars.

My understanding from another thread is that there are rear heated seats that will be activated with an OTA update. I didn't get that directly from Tesla, so, perhaps you have something more definitive from Tesla you can share.

As to leather seats, I'm surprised to hear that Tesla may have ever said that the Model 3 would have them. I guess I many have missed their saying so, is their a reference to that you can share? fwiw, Tesla went all vegan last summer on all their cars.

Yup. No leather on any Tesla vehicles. And they are far from “vinyl”. They are super nice and better than the real leather in my 2013 S.

I don't follow your reference to the Model S PUP, unless you're trying to say it wasn't listed in the PUP.

The Model 3 PUP's first line explaining what you get:
"Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs"

Since then, we now get "Vegen Seating" ... translation: Vinyl seats, No support for rear seat heaters found in the rear seats and headliner material that looks like my '08 civic Si (which actually had alcantara interior pieces).
So where does that leave us with the "premium heated seating and cabin materials"?

Yes, you implied it was a PUP item and I was pointing out on the S it never was; don't believe on the X it was ever either at least in the past year that we became owners, so it doesn't follow and I would be surprised Tesla would view it any differently on the Model 3. So commenting that your paying for it in the PUP upgrade package doesn't make any sense. Since the Model 3 PUP description reference doesn't mention the headliner at all, or alcantara for that matter, it wasn't a material they ever committed to being used in the car.

Second comment I'll make is just because people view alcantara and leather as higher quality over the new materials doesn't mean that the new materials aren't "premium", not in the material sense of durability and price point. I'm personally a natural leather fan and not sure how I feel about the newer polyurethane seats but that material actually can be as pricy or as premium as leather from what a TMC person indicated who said he works with these materials. People might not care for it or the new headliner material as much but it doesn't mean it isn't premium. In the year or so I've been on TMC I've noticed there seems to be line of thought among some people that Tesla is attempting to provide subquality. Definitely not a viewpoint I share.

With the vast number of orders they got for this vehicle they made every effort to streamline what was offered in the way of options and said the S & X would have many more configuring options than the Model 3. If Tesla was a GM they would more likely be able to offer more option packages, but new line and such not likely they can and get cars to people in a somewhat reasonable time frame.

Last edited: